The 'Thanks' button and the 'Karma' (aka Reputation) Systems

If possible, should "thanks" contribute to Karma?

• Yes

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No preference

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

Benjamin28

And here I thought Karma was just a measure of how much time you spend online over the course of the day!

I think the point is moot, no one (I hope) gives any weight to an individual's response based on how many dots they have under their name. At best the Karma system allows users to easily identify people who are regular posters and common contributors to the forums' diverse knowledge base. A badge by a name that says you've made a long term effort to contribute here is by no means a negative system in my view. I think those folks deserve some kind of recognition for their efforts and Karma is a simple enough and harmless enough system for delivering that recognition.:2cents:

J

JaneB

Marc,

Thanks for your entire post. I started quoting from it to highlight all the parts I agreed with, and then found it was all of them. So just, thank you for expressing it so well, and I agree with you fully.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
The largest (and consistent) complaint has been that people do not see Thanks in their Karma list as they used to. I have thought about this quite a bit. I have decided to reestablish the Thanks link to Karma based upon the poll. Part of my consideration goes to the the reason this was an issue in years past when, for a while, there were a few users who tended to 'give each other a pat on the back' in a tag team fashion. I think that attitude is past.

I then considered the amount of Karma for each Thanks. The old value was 5 Karma 'points' per 'Thanks'. Considering the Karma spread between users, I set the Thanks to generate 2 Karma points because a lot of Thanks are accumulated vs. actual Karma given.

Further discussion?

A

Atul Khandekar

I'd also suggest make the Karma button more visible...instead of the yinyang have a gif that contains plain text, like "Give Karma".

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
It would be difficult to do. I'll look into it again, but that involves some template edits which could affect some 'hook' functions.

Top Bottom