The 'Thanks' button and the 'Karma' (aka Reputation) Systems

If possible, should "thanks" contribute to Karma?

• Yes

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No preference

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I believe he's referring to the section under user CP where you would normally have a list of 50 or so lines that show what post you were thanked on and by whom. It was a nice feature that no longer seems to actively update.
Yes. That is correct. When we had it set to give 10 points of Karma each time someone gave Thanks, it updated the Karma 'log' in the userCP because it was adding to Karma making it a Karma 'event' (as far as the software and the database are concerned).

BradM

Leader
Admin
Hey.... look what I dug up from the Cove Archives!!:lmao:

This is what happens when you worry too much about your # of thanks, Karma, reputation, # of posts, more Karma......

You gotta click on it!!

Attachments

• Karma_head.gif
    Karma_head.gif
    30.9 KB · Views: 223

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Hey.... look what I dug up from the Cove Archives!!:lmao:

This is what happens when you worry too much about your # of thanks, Karma, reputation, # of posts, more Karma......

You gotta click on it!!

Wow, I vaguely remember posting that. When was that, about 5 years ago? :notme:

Marc

Leader
Here is the 'Latest' on Karma and the Green Dots:

vBuletin Reputation - Karma dots_600.png

NOTES:
Reputation = Karma
Negative Karma (aka Reputation) is disabled on this forum.

Karma FAQ updated.

I

Inge Stroud

I am going to use my first post to say thanks. I have read some extremely interesting posts for the last three or so hours in this forum on everything like lean manufacturing, process mapping, QMS, 5S (we added a S for Safety) and Standard Work. We utilize all these things and then some at my work.

I do engineering document control in a manufacturing company and was just assigned to the engineering team to get our processes "robust" for ACE Silver assessment. I just hope I don't forget how to get back here....I will need help, I am just not sure what help I will need yet.

:thanx: again for the great information.
Inge

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I am going to use my first post to say thanks. I have read some extremely interesting posts for the last three or so hours in this forum on everything like lean manufacturing, process mapping, QMS, 5S (we added a S for Safety) and Standard Work. We utilize all these things and then some at my work.

I do engineering document control in a manufacturing company and was just assigned to the engineering team to get our processes "robust" for ACE Silver assessment. I just hope I don't forget how to get back here....I will need help, I am just not sure what help I will need yet.

:thanx: again for the great information.
Inge

Welcome, Inge. :bigwave: This place is the best resource in the world for general information on quality in business and manufacturing, and there are always knowledgeable people here who are eager to help. As far as finding your way back is concerned, just bookmark the site. If you're using Internet Explorer, click on the "Favorites" button on the top of the screen and then "Add to Favorites." Using Firefox, it's the same procedure only it's called "Bookmarks." And of course, you can always Google your way back here.

Marc

Leader
Re: What's Up with Rep (Reputation - aka Karma) Power?

I'm posting this because of a number of complaints.

A while back the super moderators discussed Karma and Thanks (actually there are several threads in the Super Moderators forum on the subject). At one time they were linked - If someone Thanked you, you got 5 Karma points (number of points is a variable setting). OTOH, Giving Karma did not affect the number of 'Thanks'. The decision to decouple them was made by majority.

As most of you should know from the 'Notice' I'm in Fulton, NY this week. I'm real busy so I don't have time to go into details right now. I'll try to this weekend if one or more of the moderators doesn't jump in and explain. Unfortunately I think all the discussions were in threads in the super moderator's forum.

If you want it changed back, you better speak up now so a consensus can be reached.

Oops - Gotta go. People are coming back from a break...

BradM

Leader
Admin
Marc's post is copied from another thread.

I have opened the poll up for those wanting to vote on this.

From memory....

It was uncoupled with the hopes that if someone wanted to give someone real Kudos, they would use the Karma button. Karma allows for an explanation, thus possibly strengthening the value of the kudo.

The thanks button is there to serve the useful purpose of a quick, thanks, I agree, nice post, etc. That way, one can feel a little more free to give a thanks, without seeming like you're giving every living thing more Karma.

Marc

Leader
That pretty well sums it up. The old setting was 5 Karma points per Thanks. Note that eveyone starts out with 10 Karma points.

And my Thanks to Brad for finding and resurrecting this thread.

J

John Nabors - 2009

Just curious..

What is the difference between 'karma' and 'karma power'?

Top Bottom