The Tinker Toy (C) Exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scrowner

teamwork under time constraints

the tinker toy experiment showed that when a time constraint is placed upon a group of workers-how quickly the tasks can be divided up to get the end product. There is no doubt in my mind that our team wanted to complete this task and have the tallest structure. From the beginning, I feel that we all contributed to coming up with the best idea for this structure:applause: . Each of us had our role when the designing aspect was occuring. But, when that final time constraint of actually putting it together was placed upon us-we were all forced to be a builder of this structure. We each dropped our role from the beginning and pitched in to get this accomplished.

T

terryw

Tinker Toy

What I found really interesting is that I don't think of myself as competitive at all. So, why didn't I think of working with the other group? It seemed like I was playing by the rules, which we had decided meant we couldn't put the tinker toys together. In retrospect, I certainly don't know why. I think we do this in the world of work all the time. We just don't seem to think outside the box very often. Again, this seems like another great exercise to do with our management team.

M

Mike Moran

I thought our team did a great job of working together and contributing toward the end goal. We didn't build the tallest structure, but we were on the right track, but just fell a few seconds short of success. I honestly felt a little mislead on the rules when we were asked why we didn't combine the groups, but I guess I never thought to ask if we could. I wanted to stay within the rules that were given and not question them...I was focused on the task at hand with my team.
At work that is called stove piping. This exercise really gave me an example in short order of what stove piping can do on a simple task and how it can make the desired outcome less than what a company would want.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Good discussion. Yes, I hope we all put a little thought into the costs that result from stove-piping, from lack of cooperation across business units.

J

jneely

Tinker Toy Experiment Fall 2005

Competitiveness is the word that first comes to my mind as a result of the Tinker Toy experiment. The teams were so busy competing that they didn't hear (or in this case not hear) the instructions. At no time during the experiment were the teams told or lead to believe they could not work together. Working together is the key to success in any venture, whether work related or not. The methods we have learned this quarter need to be implemented through teamwork not only by an individual. When everyone is on the same page and "hears" what is really being said then something good will be acheived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom