The TSA Is Now Instragramming Items They Confiscate

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
So, you want them to keep it a secret? Come on, it shows that they are doing their job and it shows how stupid some travelers are and it is a reminder to travelers not to take dangerous items to the airport.

What is really scary? The TSA is finding more and more guns at the check points.

I am all for a transparent government.

AnaMariaVR2

Trusted Information Resource
I am glad that while doing their job, they are confiscating all this nonsense so I can have a secure flight.
Still, some % of them could be stupid, others might be testing the surveillance system to see how far they can get away with these prohibited items through the different check points.

I'm sure those that lost these items on June:
http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/06/tsa-week-in-review-57-firearms.html

...are not the smart ones checking out the TSA site for the list of prohibited items before their flight:
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

There is no pre-TSA data to compare how was the traffic of prohibited items before. Still, the current system needs an overhaul.
Why do passengers feel the need to travel with these items? More education needs to be in place but for those that get caught & their items confiscated...I'm not aware of additional consequences to them; are there fines to these individuals? Is there data available that there are repeat offenders? And if so, what happens to them?

Hey you, passenger, it still NOT OK to travel with a stun gun.

Last edited:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I still don't see why I should be bothered by it. Maybe I am especially thick today... but I am flying to Abu Dhabi tomorrow and will appreciate TSA for finding these things in people's bags. Just sayin'

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
So, you want them to keep it a secret? Come on, it shows that they are doing their job and it shows how stupid some travelers are and it is a reminder to travelers not to take dangerous items to the airport.

What is really scary? The TSA is finding more and more guns at the check points.

I am all for a transparent government.
Where is the evidence the guns were intended to be used. Dont Americans pack guns all the time any way?

Presumably they also ban pressure cookers, crockpots, stake knives and chop sticks from being taken on planes too.

Its amazing how successful governments are at keeping their population afraid.

A former president once said that those who would surrender liberty in favour of security will get and deserve neither. From what I read it seems that this begining to be experienced in the US.

T

tomvehoski

TSA's failure rate on their own red team tests is rumored to be around 70%. It is classified, but members of congress that have seen the number were "appalled" if I recall the exact story from a year or so back. Imagine what is getting through, yet no planes are falling from the sky.

This is just TSA screaming from the rooftops "Look at the great job we are doing! You are safe! Keep giving us money!!!".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AnaMariaVR2 TSA June 2012 Stats Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
F When TSA stop to issue new Foreign FAA Part 145 Repair Station? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
L TSA (Tryptic Soy Agar) settle plate durations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
L TSA (Tryptone Soya AGar) plates for environmental monitoring Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 6
Z TSA Requirements for ISO/TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
C Documentation for items used for Design Verification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
nadhar2 Classification of Action Items Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
DuncanGibbons Best practice for identifying "items" of parts for DFMEA analysis AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F IEC 62304 - Segregation and communication between software items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
G Reporting measurement uncertainty for custom items Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
M IEC 62304 - Develop an Architecture for the Interfaces of Software Items IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
C AS9100 8.3.5.e Design and Development Outputs - Key Characteristics / Critical Items AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Supplier Scorecard, Assessment of Pass Through Items From Sub Tier Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
C Per IEC 62304, are DHF documents Configuration Items? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
J APQP Requirements - What is meant by "among other items" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Timing for Closing High FMEA RPN Items FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Polypropylene Packaging for Food items Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
J Software and Methods for Tracking CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) items US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K What technical documents need to be maintained for "manufactured for" items 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
D NQA-1 Standard Applied to Services rather than Items for Nuclear Power Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
M How to identify software configuration items in a BOM Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
SteveK Interesting Medical Device Database Site (666,413 items listed) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
I Requirements for shipping items that fall under the Cartagena Protocol Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N ISO 17025 clause 5.8.3 Records of Non-Conforming Test Items ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
S Not accepting Flowdowns for COTS Items AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
M Shelf Life Control and Identification of items that do not have Shelf Life ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O Process Startup Only items in a Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 1
G How to manage/control critical items and key characteristics? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
Q Identifying Critical Items and Key Characteristics - Product Realization Process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 8
A Segregation of Software Items on a Medical Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
K Is there an overall standard for calibration of items used in TS 16949 Certified Co. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R What is the optimum number of check items should an inspector look into a product? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
K Sampling Plan for Small Lots of Single Use Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M Record Retention requirements for Safety Items Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
M 8.2.4.2 Appearance Items - When Masters for Colour, Grain, etc are not appropriate? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Always Internal Audit all Line Items of applicable FDA Regulations? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C Are Purchase Orders required for all items? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 11
Q FDA Bacteriological Analytical Manual (BAM) - Health Care Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B PFMEA Line Items for Poka-Yoke (Mistake Proofing) and Scans FMEA and Control Plans 2
K Opportunities for Improvement - Proposed Items in Management Review Meetings Management Review Meetings and related Processes 4
M Can Resell Items be sold as ISO certified? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
T Detailed Product Images for the Off the Shelf Items Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
L What typical items do auditors bring to Opening Meetings Internal Auditing 4
K Incoming (Receiving) Inspection for Commodity Items used in Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
B Material Review Board for non-production related items Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
K Software Items - Each module has its own software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 10
C BS EN ISO 12952-1 thru 4 - Test methods for burning behaviour of bedding items Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2