The US Government and EMS - Executive Order 13148 - April 22, 2000

Randy

Super Moderator
I just got my hands on a copy of Executive Order 13148 - April 22, 2000. The title is "Greening the Government Through Leadership in Environmental Management"

The gist of the order is that the government is to develope and implement an Environmental Management System in all agencies across the board. The order addresses all of the ISO 14000 clauses and uses some of the neat words and phrases from it also.

I am slowly digesting it and am not going to take much time here regurgitating what I have digested.

I suggest that interested folks go to the White House home page and look up the Executive Orders.

I am editing my copy and will E-mail it to anyone who wants it when I am done.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Sure - I'd like a copy. Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of this spec.

I'm doing some work for Ford, by the way, at the Sgaronville transmission plant. They have ISO14001 signs everywhere (they're planning to implement).

C

Christian Lupo

OK I'll be the cynic...I had a copy of the Executive order since 9/99, and I was thrilled when I saw it. The order mandates EMSs across federal agencies and directs that "each agency shall ensure enabling systems are established to support environmental leadership programs, policies, and procedures. Agency senior level management sahll explicitly and actively endorse these systems."

From conversations with federal employees, most feel that they will not seek third party certification, and feel they have the resources "in house" to implement an EMS.

This of course is not good news for consultant or registrars.

Randy

Super Moderator
I work on a US military installation that has a staffed environmental office full of "professionals". Recently 2 of the "professionals" attended an EMS Lead Auditor course at taxpayer (our) expense. When I tried to talk to them about bringing the installation environmental program more in line to 14K, neither one could distinguish the difference between system management and regulatory compliance. When they asked me what I knew about 14K, I explained that I have been working with it almost 3 years and that I was certified by the RAB as an auditor (I even showed them my card). Both replied that the RAB certification didn't mean anything because they had attended a course too.
These guys are the ones that will be charged with implementing an EMS here.
So much for internal sources.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
"...So much for internal sources...." So much for brains... Yeah - I took a course, too... HA! Sounds like so many of the 'experts' in ISO implementation...

They say: "...I took a course so I know what to do...." Ha! Takes balls, doesn't it!

Randy

Super Moderator
Marc you don't know the totality of it. I deal with these DA civil service "professionals" on a daily basis in the EHS world , and not one of them has the gonads to attempt in the outside world what they preach in the security of their installation's envelope.

I can guarantee that I have had the pleasure to meet truly knowledgeable and professional civil service types but they are few and far between.

I cringe to think of the chowderheads establishing and self-certifying EMS or any other ISO based or type system. The tendancy to short-cut and ignore is well entrenched and accepted. The DA civilian culture prohibits continuous improvement and corrective action on a timely basis, and when certifying employee competence forget it.

My intent is to consult with the contractors and subs who will eventually need to have some type of program in place in order to do business.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Customer Satisfaction importance in companies with Government/Public Administration as main customer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
K Capturing local government development/planning activities in aspect register ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
K CFG (certificate of foreign government) Requestor Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Sidney Vianna Informational ISO 18091 - Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001 in local government Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
F Assignment of Special Characteristics to government regulations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M NIST is one of the government services shut down General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Responsibilities between government owner and private subcontractor of a power plant seeking ISO 9001 certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Government MotorPool Continuous Improvement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
bio_subbu Indian government issues guidance on Grouping Medical Devices in a Single Submission Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Definition Client - How does the government define their clients? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
K Government Contract Clauses: Toxic, hazmat and compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
A Application of Public Finance Management to Government Institutions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Technical Oversight - Government Shipyard Quality Office Responsibilities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
M Eligible to obtain certificate of foreign government (CFG) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 15
R What can I expect in a Government Source Inspection? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
S Certificate to Foreign Government (CFG) - who is an Exporter ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S Tailored ISO 9001:2008 for DLA - US Government Contracts and Contractors ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
0 EU Medical Device Requirements and Government Authorities EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Certificate of Foreign Government (Distributor in Mexico) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
GStough "Outsourced Processes" in a Government Contract Service Provider Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Government Contract Product Realization Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Government Help to Clean Up Credit to Buy A House? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
Marc OH, NO! There are no mermaids: U.S. government World News 1
F ISO 9001 Certification for a Big Government Entity - One Certificate for each Dept.? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
V Safety and/or Government Regulation question on a PSW (Part Submission Warrant) APQP and PPAP 6
C QMS Design Approach for a Government Organisation - Advice sought ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I What are the Government of India requirements to sell OEM Medical Devices in India? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
T GIDEP Government - Industry Data Exchange Program General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
E Lean in a Government Agency! Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
A AIAG Design FMEA Severity Rankings - Noncompliance Government Regulation? FMEA and Control Plans 9
K Definition Long, Wide and High - How to define for a Government (Military) Purchasing spec Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
R First Article Acceptance Tests on a Government Product Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
Marc Black Ops: How HBGary wrote backdoors for the government After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
S FDA Form 3613 [Certificate to Foreign Government (CFG)] - Manufacturer Information 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
Sidney Vianna ISO Video (mentions various standards) for Business and Government ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
Stijloor The Government can not print money properly... World News 8
E Customer Satisfaction - Customer Perception of Government Contract Officers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T Contractor's Responsibilities for Government Source Inspection Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 9
Michael Malis FDA changed the criteria for Certificate to Foreign Government (CFG) on 12/08/09 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M CFG - Certificate for Foreign Government - Medical Device Company based in CA, USA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
A Is there any Government Grant for CE marking? (India) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Updating Certificate of Foreign Government (CFG's) Other US Medical Device Regulations 18
E Any Government Contractors out there?? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Pancho Forums, blogs and wikis may forge a more inclusive Government Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
L Government Agencies required to meet ISO standards? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A Certificate for Foreign Government - How long it takes for an approval? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
Marc U.S. rejects GM's call for government financial help in a merger World News 2
Marc Government of Mozambique - Dealing with Lions Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 14
D Official Government Regulatory Body Vigilance Contacts to use for China and for India ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Venezuela government is asking for "GMP Certification" - Huh? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7