The US Government and EMS - Executive Order 13148 - April 22, 2000

Randy

Super Moderator
I just got my hands on a copy of Executive Order 13148 - April 22, 2000. The title is "Greening the Government Through Leadership in Environmental Management"

The gist of the order is that the government is to develope and implement an Environmental Management System in all agencies across the board. The order addresses all of the ISO 14000 clauses and uses some of the neat words and phrases from it also.

I am slowly digesting it and am not going to take much time here regurgitating what I have digested.

I suggest that interested folks go to the White House home page and look up the Executive Orders.

I am editing my copy and will E-mail it to anyone who wants it when I am done.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Sure - I'd like a copy. Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of this spec.

I'm doing some work for Ford, by the way, at the Sgaronville transmission plant. They have ISO14001 signs everywhere (they're planning to implement).

C

Christian Lupo

OK I'll be the cynic...I had a copy of the Executive order since 9/99, and I was thrilled when I saw it. The order mandates EMSs across federal agencies and directs that "each agency shall ensure enabling systems are established to support environmental leadership programs, policies, and procedures. Agency senior level management sahll explicitly and actively endorse these systems."

From conversations with federal employees, most feel that they will not seek third party certification, and feel they have the resources "in house" to implement an EMS.

This of course is not good news for consultant or registrars.

Randy

Super Moderator
I work on a US military installation that has a staffed environmental office full of "professionals". Recently 2 of the "professionals" attended an EMS Lead Auditor course at taxpayer (our) expense. When I tried to talk to them about bringing the installation environmental program more in line to 14K, neither one could distinguish the difference between system management and regulatory compliance. When they asked me what I knew about 14K, I explained that I have been working with it almost 3 years and that I was certified by the RAB as an auditor (I even showed them my card). Both replied that the RAB certification didn't mean anything because they had attended a course too.
These guys are the ones that will be charged with implementing an EMS here.
So much for internal sources.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
"...So much for internal sources...." So much for brains... Yeah - I took a course, too... HA! Sounds like so many of the 'experts' in ISO implementation...

They say: "...I took a course so I know what to do...." Ha! Takes balls, doesn't it!

Randy

Super Moderator
Marc you don't know the totality of it. I deal with these DA civil service "professionals" on a daily basis in the EHS world , and not one of them has the gonads to attempt in the outside world what they preach in the security of their installation's envelope.

I can guarantee that I have had the pleasure to meet truly knowledgeable and professional civil service types but they are few and far between.

I cringe to think of the chowderheads establishing and self-certifying EMS or any other ISO based or type system. The tendancy to short-cut and ignore is well entrenched and accepted. The DA civilian culture prohibits continuous improvement and corrective action on a timely basis, and when certifying employee competence forget it.

My intent is to consult with the contractors and subs who will eventually need to have some type of program in place in order to do business.

Top Bottom