The Weekend to End Cancer

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I hope no one takes this the wrong way, as it is not my intent to offend. I feel for anyone with a friend or family member with any kind of illness. And anyone who raises money or donates money for charitible causes of any kind deserves praise. But I do wonder why it is that breast cancer seems to get "special" treatment from a fund-raising standpoint as compared to other cancers? I understand there is an official US Postal Service stamp that is specifically for raising money for breast cancer. RC's event and many others in our area are targeted specifically at breast cancer. Yet what about other cancers? Why goes the US government fund-raise via a special stamp for breast cancer only? Why not "cancer" in general? I have a dear friend who had bone cancer 3 years ago (and God willing has beaten it) and an in-law with kidney cancer now. IMO the government should not be showing preference -- private groups can do as they please of course and I have no problem with that. But I wonder if the doling out of federal research money for various kinds of cancer is also skewed? IMO the government funding should be based on statistics with the most money going to the most prevalent cancer, etc. not based on politics or lobbying by special interest groups. But I fear that politics has gotten into it.

Again, no offense intended to anyone, just some food for thought.

J

Jimmy Olson

Mike S. said:
I hope no one takes this the wrong way, as it is not my intent to offend. I feel for anyone with a friend or family member with any kind of illness. And anyone who raises money or donates money for charitible causes of any kind deserves praise. But I do wonder why it is that breast cancer seems to get "special" treatment from a fund-raising standpoint as compared to other cancers? I understand there is an official US Postal Service stamp that is specifically for raising money for breast cancer. RC's event and many others in our area are targeted specifically at breast cancer. Yet what about other cancers? Why goes the US government fund-raise via a special stamp for breast cancer only? Why not "cancer" in general? I have a dear friend who had bone cancer 3 years ago (and God willing has beaten it) and an in-law with kidney cancer now. IMO the government should not be showing preference -- private groups can do as they please of course and I have no problem with that. But I wonder if the doling out of federal research money for various kinds of cancer is also skewed? IMO the government funding should be based on statistics with the most money going to the most prevalent cancer, etc. not based on politics or lobbying by special interest groups. But I fear that politics has gotten into it.

Again, no offense intended to anyone, just some food for thought.

Because everybody loves 'Boobies' :vfunny:

(sorry, just couldn't resist that)

There actually is quite a bit of funding and various fundraisers for other types of cancer, they just aren't as publicized as breast cancer. Somehow breast cancer was able to gather support quicker than other types. Part of it may also be because of the succes of the research. Everyone can see that their contributions are making a difference. But even the funding and research for breast cancer helps out with other types of cancer, so it all works out.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
db said:
I took Ruth to the Surgeon's yesterday. She is finished with her chemo, and now we are looking at surgery. When the cancer was first found, it was over 11cm and there was a 3cm mass under her right arm. She was an advance Stage III.

Yesterday, the surgeon could find no cancer in either her armpit, or in the breast! The plan now is to begin with a lumpectomy, and perform a biopsy to determine if more needs to be done. This is a tremendous Praise!!!!!

25 years ago, there would have been no hope. 10 years ago, she would have lost the breast, and much of the muscle on her right side. 2 years ago, and she would have had a masectomy first, then chemo. Now, the chance of just a lumpectomy is very real. With continued research, who knows what the future will bring? Thanks for helping the research out. :agree:

Dave, that's great news!!! :D I was thrilled to read that! It's an amazing feeling to get such tremendous news and you're right about the history. A lot of progress has been made in this area.

Wow! You know, it's because of women like Ruth and men (like one of my coworkers) that I got involved. She sounds like a fabulously strong woman. Please pass along my heart-felt congratulations.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Richard Olson said:
Because everybody loves 'Boobies' :vfunny:

(sorry, just couldn't resist that)

There actually is quite a bit of funding and various fundraisers for other types of cancer, they just aren't as publicized as breast cancer. Somehow breast cancer was able to gather support quicker than other types. Part of it may also be because of the succes of the research. Everyone can see that their contributions are making a difference. But even the funding and research for breast cancer helps out with other types of cancer, so it all works out.

Richard...Richard...Richard... :frust: Actually, I've heard some better ones than that at my fundraiser bbqs. :)

• Ma'am, I'll do whatever I can do to support 'em. (still can't believe he called me ma'am!...I'm not even 30)
  • My mommy taught me how important they are...gotta support the cause.
  • (a man walking up with a coffee) Got milk?
  • And so on...

You're right that fundraising attempts for other forms of cancer are not as publicized. Leukemia does get some, and prostate is becoming more well-known now, I find. But breast cancer is does seem to get most of the spotlight.

The numbers for it, however, are rather scary and maybe that's why. 1 in 9 women. I look around my facility and there are 18 of us. That means 2 of us will most likely contract this disease. And if it is in the family, the odds are higher. One of my female coworkers has just helped her Mom through her treatment and now has learned that her oldest sister has it.

And the progress that has been made in this field are outstanding! db is right...Ruth's situation would have been dramatically different not so long ago.

I admit, Mike, that when I first signed up for this walk, I was somewhat disappointed that it was only towards breast cancer. 5000 walkers having to raise a minimum of $2000 each in order to walk...you do the math...that's a lot of $$$! But I also understand that to find a cure, you must focus on the problem, dedicate your resources.

It is my hope that any advances in the fight to find a cure for breast cancer can be used to help find cures for other forms of cancer.

C

CINDY

When cancer and medical research first started, it was all geared towards male illnesses. Medical advances have changed over the last few decades and now include woman’s medicine. Breast Cancer is part of that. It seems that the spot light changes according to need. Remember about 10 years ago (could be more) when prostate cancer was in the spot light. The government has also supported other worth while and deserving charitable causes. This time it just happens to be Breast Cancer.

Just as a FYI, I am a Cancer Survivor (not Breast Cancer) and so is my husband, so we support the fund raisers including government sponsored ones. Years ago, my husband and I did a 200 mile bike trek for the American Cancer Society that was one of our biggest fund raisers. We are always doing something. Cancer is something that I would not wish on anyone.

D

db

CINDY said:
Remember about 10 years ago (could be more) when prostate cancer was in the spot light. The government has also supported other worth while and deserving charitable causes.

What little research I've done seems to suggest that prostate cancer and breast cancer are the two biggest programs going right now. Think about it. 30 years ago, you heard a lot about lung cancer, but little about either prostate or breast. Why? Because neither was detected until the cancer showed up somewhere else. Both were considered to be terminal. During that time, better detection and better treatment means that: a) there are more reported cases and b) the survivability has increased. Research in treatment often is transferable from one type of cancer to another.

But there is still a long ways to go. My father-in-law survived prostate cancer, two of his brothers did not (all within the past couple of years).

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
CINDY said:
Just as a FYI, I am a Cancer Survivor (not Breast Cancer) and so is my husband, so we support the fund raisers including government sponsored ones. Years ago, my husband and I did a 200 mile bike trek for the American Cancer Society that was one of our biggest fund raisers. We are always doing something. Cancer is something that I would not wish on anyone.

Wow...some serious training must have gone into that.

Did you find asking for donations difficult? I do. I can nag and harp away for my job, but to ask someone for money is always hard for me.

Early next week, I should have a better picture of where I stand in my goal to raise $2000 (I don't raise that, I won't be allowed to particpate in the walk and I won't get to walk with my training partner, my Mom). I'll probably start going door-to-door then. Only problem is that my door-to-door experience is primarily selling Girl Guide Cookies...I just *know* that's going to slip out of my mouth when people answer the door! :vfunny:

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
db said:
But there is still a long ways to go.

You're absolutely right! And sometimes that first step just starts with education and awareness. Now that I understand that (breast) cancer holds no discrimination towards age, I'm learning what steps I need to take to ensure I beat the odds.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Didn't do too much walking this weekend (just over 20km), but I was conserving energy (no...not protecting the Sheriff! ;) ) and helping out around my parents place. Got to play Lumberjackette....or whatever the female version is of a Lumberjack.

On the plus side, the fundraiser bbq's at work are over and I recieved my portion of the profits this morning. That money will put me around $1400...just $600 shy of my required $2000.

Suddenly, the goal does seem possible. The light of the end of tunnel doesn't appear to be that of the oncoming train!

Cover's have been very encouraging...thank you! And it's not too late to help out if you can. The link in this thread's first post can take you to the donation page. Thank you to those of you who have...not only do I appreciate it, but the people who use the services of Princess Margaret's Hospital in Toronto appreciate it.

Also trying to figure what to pack for these two days. Space is limited, so there is a max weight on bags, etc. I've told my Mom that shorts and shoes and tshirts and socks don't take up that much room. Makeup is not necessary for this walk. Deodorant is. Shaving is optional...practice for the hockey playoffs (hey, it's a Canadian law...women can't shave then). So I was think we could pack everything in one bag and I could bring along my soft-sided cooler with evening snacks, juices, and protein shakes. And, since we'll spending one night in Tent City, I'm going to do the first day of the walk with an aluminium foil, helium-filled balloon so that I can clearly mark our tent...hopefully, there is no lightening that day! :)

So this is the homestretch...final few weeks before the big walk!

Thanks to all of your for your support and I'll continue to keep you updated on progress AND the final results! :bigwave:

L

leanne - 2009

Mike S. said:
I hope no one takes this the wrong way, as it is not my intent to offend. I feel for anyone with a friend or family member with any kind of illness. And anyone who raises money or donates money for charitible causes of any kind deserves praise. But I do wonder why it is that breast cancer seems to get "special" treatment from a fund-raising standpoint as compared to other cancers?

Approximately one in 9 women & 1 in 90 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer. It affects MANY more than are diagnosed. Why does it get so much attention? Because it has affected so many people & it does not affect women only. My grandmother died of breast cancer (in 2002) that metastasized to her liver. My maternal great-grandmother died of breast cancer in 1936. My husband's mother died of breast cancer in 1966 - he grew up without a mom from age 8, what an impact to his life.

Many cancers are treated similarly so what we discover about breast cancer treatment & prevention may also help with treating & preventing other cancers.

RCBeyette, you go girl!!!!

Top Bottom