The Weekend to End Cancer

L

leanne - 2009

db said:
Sounds like a bummer!

Way back when I was a Cop, I was called to an accident scene. A driver had hit a dog, and killed it. The dog’s owners were all there. The two kids were crying (about 9 and 10), the mom was crying and the dad was yelling and screaming at the driver (who was yelling and screaming right back). The dad wanted me to arrest the driver for intentionally running over his dog. I asked where the incident occurred. Was it is the yard, or on the road? It was on the road. Did the driver swerve into the dog? No, he just sped up so he could hit the dog. The driver had time to stop, but did not. Of course the driver said he did not speed up, and did not have enough time to stop. The dog just ran out in front of him. The dog, a fairly large German Shepard did substantial damage to the left front of the car.
The dog owner became livid when I told him that he was responsible for the damage done to the car. He started screaming and swearing at me. That is when I decided to tell him he was getting a ticket for allowing his dog to run on the road. The net result was the dog owner had to pay $75 for the fine, and about $150 dollars for the damage to the car.

Boy, was that guy mad! But like I told him, it's your dog and you're responsible for it.

That guy sounds like a prime recruit for PETA, where all animals should roam free. Of course, he'd have to get over that "ownership" thing...

If his dog has been in the house or yard, he'd not have been hit. BTW, my dogs are house dogs.

C

CINDY

RCBeyette,

I have never had trouble asking for donations for worthy causes; from print letters, door to door, phones, what ever. I have been doing it for a long time and am comfortable with it.

Rejections are just a part of fundraising. Don't take rejections to heart and keep on track until you reach your goal. You are not asking for money to be put in your pocket, you are asking for dollars to benefit cancer research.

Is this your first time at fundraising?

Cindy

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
CINDY said:
Is this your first time at fundraising?

Sorry for the delay in writing, but the worm hit us here at work, I believe and no net access for the longest time. Didn't think to log on from home...guess I was too busy trying to maintain that wonderful thing called a social life. :)

It's not really my first attempt at fundraising, but it's been a long, long time and my "cute factor" has worn off. As a little kid, it was easy. Long blonde braids, big blue eyes and plaid dresses go a long way in getting donations out of people.

The hair isn't so long any more. The blue eyes are little wiser looking. And I wouldn't be caught dead in plaid unless I was working out in the trees or going to a Highland event. :vfunny:

In the meantime, I'm $223 short of my minimum goal of $2000. Just a bit more to go. Unfortunately, I'm losing one week of fundraising due to work. I'm off to our Tampa office from Sept 7 - 12. Then again, I'll have a bunch of people locked in a room all week.....hmmm....

"Bathroom?!?! You wanna go to the bathroom?!?! There's a $5 toll to leave the room." Wonder if I can get away with that?

Did a 30km walk on Sunday. That's around 19 miles. Took 5 hours and 42 minutes. The walk later in September is not a race, but I timed it nonetheless. The actual walk will be 30km on Day 1 and 30k on Day 2. It was nice to know that I'll survive Day 1. And...to prove that I could still walk...did another 10 km the next morning. The first 5km were the toughest, but then I got into the pattern and I think that I could have managed to walk the full distance! What an amazing feeling! It's not the weekend of the walk yet and I'm still short of the minimum amount I need to raise, but what a sense of accomplishment!

We were attacked by 2 golden retrievers...usually a gentle breed. Courtney, my parents dog, was with my Mom and I and broke free of her lead, running away. My Mom ran after Courtney. I herded up the two brats with my walking stick and returned them to their property. Their owner was home but refused to come to the door. Refused to take responsibility for her actions. What a...well...you know what I'm going to call her. How stupid can a person be?!?! :mad:

Day 2 saw us approached by another dog...a St. Bernard cross. The owner yelled that her dog was harmless. Unfortunately, Courtney does not get along well with other dogs as she has been attacked as a puppy. I fought the other dog off with the walking stick as the owner sooooo ssslllooowwwlllyyy walked out to get her dog. I was livid.

Just because we live out in the country, is no reason to think that your dog can go leashless and unsupervised. How utterly irresponsible!

The kicker is that people think it is OUR fault. That WE were walking past their property, minding OUR own business is apparently good enough reason for THEIR dog to come after us.

However, despite that, my Mom and I are still having fun training. Blisters, aching joints, sunburn...but we're bonding, laughing, and getting lots of fresh air...all for a good cause.

It's not too late to donate if you would like. Instructions are in the first post of this thread or PM me for details!

C

CINDY

RCBeyette,

Sounds like it is a good thing that you take your walking stick. Maybe a shot gun would wake some of the owners wake up. Just kidding. The St. Bernard would have me worried!

Seems like you are right on track, walk and funds wise. Even if you don't make your full amount before the walk, you can continue collecting funds after the walk. But, I have faith in you and know you will surpass $2,000.00.

Don't worry about losing that "cute factor", we all lose it, it comes with knowledge and growth.

$5 is not a lot to pay when you have to use the restroom. Charge $20. and when they complain ask them why they did not go before they left home.

Cindy

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
RCB,

Maybe some good pepper spray would be a good thing to carry for safety. The wrong dog could seriously injure you and/or your dog and your walking stick might not be enough defense. It won't permanently injure the dog sprayed but should halt an attack. They have one brand meant to stop grizzly attacks, so it should work well. You are in the right, so don't let the idiots whose dogs run loose get to ya. Call the SPCA on 'em, too, -- it might help.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Mike S. said:
RCB,

Maybe some good pepper spray would be a good thing to carry for safety. The wrong dog could seriously injure you and/or your dog and your walking stick might not be enough defense. It won't permanently injure the dog sprayed but should halt an attack. They have one brand meant to stop grizzly attacks, so it should work well. You are in the right, so don't let the idiots whose dogs run loose get to ya. Call the SPCA on 'em, too, -- it might help.

Don't know if pepper spray is legal for civilians to carry up here...probably some bylaw against it. There are always bylaws for stuff that makes life more interesting.

The kicker with the dogs is that the owners probably would have sued me if I had actually harmed their "babies" with my walking stick. How ridiculous! They would have lost on the basis that they did not have control of their animals and, if the right cards were played, I probably could have their animals put down. And an innocent creature would be destroyed due to the owners neglect and lack of common sense.

As for Animal Control, I want to call but my Mom is very soft-hearted. Quick to snap and yell all kinds of things at the owners, but also quick to forgive and forget. She wrote the book on mood swings! :vfunny:

Wait a sec...grizzly attacks?!?! Ummm...my folks aren't *that* far out in the country! ;)

$173 to go! I was talking to one of our consultants yesterday and he was kind enough to donate! Almost there...so close!!!...going for another walk this weekend, but my Mom and I may limit it to 20 or 25 km as I leave early Sunday morning for our Tampa location and need the ability to walk through airports carrying luggage.

D

db

Ruth Update

Ruth's surgery was today, and it started with a lumpectomy/biopsy. The original mass discoverd in Feb was 11 cm, and there was a 3cm mass under her right arm. The last exam could find no masses anywhere. The surgery revealed no masses, and all the removed tissue showed no signs in the preliminary biopsy. The lymph nodes were clean, and I took her home 8 hours after arrival at the hospital. Praise God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cancer research has gone a long way in diagnosis and treatment! The Taxateer (I know that's not how its spelled, but it is how its pronounced) did wonders.

L

leanne - 2009

db said:
Ruth's surgery was today, and it started with a lumpectomy/biopsy. The original mass discoverd in Feb was 11 cm, and there was a 3cm mass under her right arm. The last exam could find no masses anywhere. The surgery revealed no masses, and all the removed tissue showed no signs in the preliminary biopsy. The lymph nodes were clean, and I took her home 8 hours after arrival at the hospital. Praise God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what wonderful news!!!!

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
db said:

Cancer research has gone a long way in diagnosis and treatment! The Taxateer (I know that's not how its spelled, but it is how its pronounced) did wonders.

Oh wow! That's great news to hear, Dave! Congratulations! That's what this walk is for...to help ensure we have more Ruth's in the world! :D And hopefully, the day will come when no one will need to have experiences similar to what Ruth and your family have gone through.

Top Bottom