Thermocouple Equipment #'s

V

Victoria

We have many molding machines that have multiple thermocouples on each machine. Is it o.k to replace a thermocouple with another but not change the equipment numbers? I'm just wondering if every time a thermocouple breaks and another takes its place, I will have two different calibration frequencies for one machine. Could thermocouples just get calibrated as spares and then issued the number of the system that it is taking?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jerry Eldred

Forum Moderator
Super Moderator
There are a number of ways you can approach this. Some of it depends on what you need to comply to.

The first thing is that if those calibrated thermocouples must be tracked, you need to identify when ever you replace an old with a new. Therefore, you probably could not get away with the same ID number on new ones. However, as an alternative, if you document in your history when ever an old is replaced by a new, and the surrounding details (calibration data, etc.) are captured, it may be acceptable to use the same ID number. And for audit purposes, having captured everytime you replace a thermocouple may suffice.

Some of the above depends on how long your normal calibration interval is, and how often you have to replace broken thermocouples.

We actually have to calibrate type R thermocouple sets, and put new wire in them every calibration (as the wire degrades in the very high temp environment).

As for the recall dates, no matter what your calibration interval is, you can always recall items early. For example if you had to replace a thermocouple six months into a twelve month interval, and all the rest of the thermocouples are due in six months, you can reasonably and legitimately recall the replaced one early to put it back in line with the due dates on the rest of those on the same machine.

As for your other question about issuing a thermocouple as a spare, that is actually what we do. We have sets of thermocouples in a sheath with an ID number for that set. We calibrate them, then start the calibration interval when we issue them (as it is presumed through our experience that the thermocouple does not deteriorate until we put it into the machine). The important part of how ever you decide to set up your ID numbering is that you be able to somehow positively connect a specific thermocouple with specific calibration information. I do suggest that if you use different thermocouple wire with the same ID, you somehow track every time you change wire.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Thermocouple Wire Calibration - Hot Junction vs. Cold Junction Temperatures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Calibration Traceability - Fluke 753 dpc with thermocouple Calibrated by Fluke ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
B Changing out Thermocouple - Is new calibration required? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Double Thermocouple - Two types, same sheath (AMS2750/Nadcap) Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
N Load Thermocouple requirement for TUS (Temperature Uniformity Survey) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
WEAVER Thermocouple Extension Wire for Temperature Measurement in an Oven General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
C Type K Thermocouple drift General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
N Thermocouple Calibration - Digital Display vs. Converting the Millivolt into ?C General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
N Thermocouple Drift Determination - Drift test done by NIST General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Thermocouple Inhomogeneity - Need to calibrate a roll of 50m thermocouple type K General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Digital Temperature Indicator Calibration (Thermocouple) - Using a reference junction General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Reference Thermocouple Probe (TRP) Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Sean Kelley Does anyone know what a paired thermocouple is? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Calculate a BMC for Thermocouple and RTD function with a Fluke 5500A Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
M Thermocouple/Furnace Gage R&R - I have yet to find a useful method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
G Thermocouple Meter Calibration - when authorities collide ... General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G Policy For Calibrating Thermocouples and How To Calibrate a Thermocouple General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 36
D Definition of equipment for ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
J Confusing on Harmonic Emissions/Voltage Fluctuations/Flicker test for CISPR 11 Class A Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Equipment Register related question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Y We found out we have been using a equipment without validation for past 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
I Equipment service dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Missing measuring equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D New Equipment form / template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
W Protective earth for Class I ME equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D DQ documents of new equipment - Function specification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J Class Fixed ME Equipment (US Deviation) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Manufacturing equipment (e.g.: Dental Welder): medical device or not? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Are Electrical Laparoscopic Surgical Devices ME equipment? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T How to “validate/qualify” a new measurement equipment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Software validation in Medical Equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 20
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Handling of contaminated medical equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
T Confirming The Local Safety Regulations for Equipment - I'm in Malaysia General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Y Packaging validation for non-sterile Medical Equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1