Things that will Change or Go Away - 20180916

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
There are some things that vBulletin has that Xenforo doesn't. While some things will change or disappear, remember the Elsmar forum has been online for many years during which time many things on the internet have changed.

One is the vBulletin Calendar. It has limited use these days. Technically there is a Xenforo calendar "add-on". As of right now I don't see a need for it. If any of you feel it is of value, please let me know. It might be worth it if we want to post things like trade shows and such. It is something that is on my mind, not forgotten.

Blogs - Blogs will go away in their current form. This is one of those "It was a good idea back when Blogs were popular, but were never really used much here". Blogs will be Imported into a New Forum which will contain all Blog Posts such as Miner's Blogs. In short, Blogs will be come threads in a forum specifically for imported Blogs and their content.

Social Groups - While I hate to see them go, there isn't an importer or an equivalent in Xenforo. I did look through the social groups here, and it has been a number of years since they have been used. Most were hardly used at all. In short, Social Groups will disappear. People use Facebook and other venues these days so I can not see the need for them here any more.

Photo Albums - Technically Xenforo has a somewhat similar function in an "add-on" which I purchased called "Media Gallery". I know that few people use Photo Albums here these days, but decided that I want to keep them if only "for old times sake". And, some folks, like Sidney, use one or more photo albums to put pictures in that they want to put into posts in threads. I have encouraged this because links to outside sources are often a problem because of changes in out going links. The links often break over time.

Private Messages - Private messages will be imported. However, Xenforo calls them "Conversations". I will be doing some Phrase Changes once the Xenforo instance goes Live and the vBulletin instance disappears. The Phrase changes I make should make it more clear that Xenforo "Conversations" are the same as vBulletin's "Private Messages".

I think that is about it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Staff member
Admin
A special script has been written for the Post Files Attachment List which works the same as the one I had written for vBulletin - See: The Elsmar Cove and look near the top for "Attachment List" link - This is it: Attachment Listing | The Elsmar Cove (Remember, this is a "Test" import at this time).

The Search function for forum threads and posts is much like in vBulletin. Near the top on the right there is a Search link. It is a "simple search" but has an "advanced search" option.

A word about Blogs - The test import has Blogs at the very bottom of the forum listing, for now, and all the blogs have imported as threads. None of the Blogs will be lost. See: Parent Blogs node | The Elsmar Cove - After the final import the forum title will be "corrected" and it's position in the forums list will probably be changed, but that is minor stuff.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Also - A test of imported photo albums has been done successfully into the Media Gallery, but it is not yet viewable.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Do I understand you to say the Private Messages (now included in our profiles) will be deleted?
Private Messages are just that - Private. No, they will not be deleted - They will be imported into Xenforo "Conversations". Xenforo calls Private Messages "Conversations", but they are not in your Profile.You can access them on vBulletin in your User Control Panel.

I will be making "Instructions" for the Xenforo software soon, just as I did for the vBulletin software.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
If Palmer's very odd collection of photos were lost during the migration, I wouldn't cry huge tears for long. :tg:

He hasn't even been here in 6 years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jim Wynne Some things never change Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R 8.1.3 Management of change - Evidence of HIRA and related things Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
N Change Order Problem - Want to change things "on the fly" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
somashekar Some things just would not change with age - BOROLINE Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
K Culture Shock and Things Need to Change - Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
K Things to learn during lockdown.... Safety-related books/articles/threads Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
D What are the important things to keep track of in product audit checklist? Software Quality Assurance 3
M Informational Some things the EU MDR 2017/745 does not tell you, but you may need to know to comply with it effectively – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU-U.S. COOPERATION Exploring trade opportunities, from medical devices to the Internet of Things Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
E Layouts : Can you "verify" things that are not visible (such as loctite present, internal dimensions) in a layout ? APQP and PPAP 2
Sidney Vianna What do these things have in common? Surge in new ISO Committees & Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
K Dueling Metrology Labs - Two different labs telling you two different things General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
P Specification Subscription Services - Eg: Things like MSDS AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B Procedures necessary for things such as the floor cleaner or weigh scale ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Marc DOD, DHS and NASA Are Driving Adoption of Internet of Things Sensors IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
Ajit Basrur 10 Things Extraordinary People Say Every Day Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Sidney Vianna ISO Online Browsing Platform (OBP) - Search Resource for "all things ISO" Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
LRE67 What things do you look for when promoting from within an organization? Career and Occupation Discussions 3
somashekar Good things coming back to you ... Imported Legacy Blogs 1
Jim Wynne APQP, or Why Things Always Go Wrong APQP and PPAP 0
G 10 Things You Should Never Say at the Office Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
AnaMariaVR2 How to Make Things Well: Genichi Taguchi, 1924-2012 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 1
R Outsourcing of a Semi-Finished Product - Which major things to address in the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Stijloor 101 Things to do in Holland... Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 17
J Are these things really required in a document control procedure? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 17
Ajit Basrur How people in different professions see things differently :) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
J What things go in Design Control Documentation for a 510k of Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Ajit Basrur How Engineers view things differently :) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 10
B ISO 9001 Application to my Business for the Production side of things only ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
B 15 Things Worth Remembering Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 1
H Getting Things Started ? QM, Tactics, Strategy, Acceptance vs. Gridlock, Enthusiasm Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
P Magic with Microsoft (things that could not be explained) Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 8
S 97% Predictability in all things? Dr. Deming's statement Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S Things we learn Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc 12 Things That Became Obsolete This Decade - 2000 - 2010 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
J Tequila: 5 Things You Didn't Know Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
Jim Wynne Breaking News: Concentric Circles Threaten Oddly-Shaped Green Things! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
Claes Gefvenberg Weekly picture: The little things... Imported Legacy Blogs 1
Stijloor Fixing things.. Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 7
R They do things a little different on Southwest Airlines! Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 1
D Toronto Trip - Any suggestions from the locals for things to do? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
bobdoering You know things are gettting bad: US anti-kidnapping expert kidnapped in Mexico Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
M Starting a quality Department - What are the things I need to initiate it? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
B Tips on Technical Things the Auditors might ask during an Audit General Auditing Discussions 15
SteelMaiden Animals that take things Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
S Getting the Right Things Done - A useful way to apply Pareto analysis The Reading Room 1
P First ISO13485 accreditation audit: What are things that can go wrong? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Marc 100 things we didn't know last year Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
F How are things going in Corporate America (or any other Corporate place)? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
C Top ten things to say when caught sleeping at your desk. Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 12