Thinking of MickeySoft's XP?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
The Gripe Line
Ed Foster

A punitive puppeteer?

NOW THAT WE know Microsoft is going to remain one company, it seems an appropriate time to step back and take a look at the company's recent practices and what they tell us we can expect in the future.

Readers have had a wide variety of complaints about Microsoft on the Gripe Line during the last year or so. We've seen the Redmond giant quietly start forcing large OEMs to provide only recovery CDs for Windows, eliminate much of the free support it had provided for applications, invoke its license terms to keep an independent lab from publishing benchmarks, and harass whole sets of customers with demands for "voluntary" software audits. It has also announced wholesale changes to its volume licensing that appear ultimately to offer customers fewer choices and higher costs.

Is there a common thread running through these moves by Microsoft? Some readers believe they see where Microsoft is headed, and they don't like it. "I don't like the future I see Microsoft designing for us, and I [not only] do not steal software ... make my living writing and selling software," one reader wrote. "Now I see Microsoft being incredibly intrusive, uploading information from my machines without my consent or knowledge of when or what is being taken. ... My ZoneAlarm regularly catches them [at my computer via] Internet access when I am not running anything. When I installed OfficeXP, it started beating my hard disk with constant access ... . All of their additions seem to be aimed at destroying any real competition, and locking us into paying every year for the OS. Where is this heading? Pay for nothing new, no competition, rising prices for fewer packages in Office, the corporate intimidation police, and they still have the nerve to call us customers?"

Another link in the chain in the view of several readers is the forthcoming Windows product activation scheme for Windows XP. This figures to be a tremendous source of gripes from a variety of customers after the new OS ships, and some are already speculating about how Microsoft might choose to employ it in the future. "Color me cynical, but I believe Microsoft has a longer-term goal in mind than curbing piracy in casual installations," another reader wrote. "Microsoft has made it plain that they have a 'delta tracking capability in XP to see how your configuration changes at any given time, and if it changes too much, you have to reactivate your copy of the OS. Lots of potential there for annoyance, but here's a simpler (and costlier) extension of that. Suppose, at some point Microsoft decides to make infinitely granular versions of XP, and to do that it starts charging for activation keys based upon your system configuration? Your base system works fine with its original key, but add a large hard drive, or more memory, and product activation informs you that you have to reactivate. At that point, there's nothing to keep Microsoft from declaring that your new equipment constitutes an advanced configuration, requiring you to pay more in order to obtain an activation key that would enable you to use it."

If that seems outlandish, remember that many users already find themselves forced to buy a retail version of Windows because their PC manufacturer's recovery CD would not support new hardware. And the trend for Microsoft to innovate through its legal staff rather than through software developers could be abetted by product activation. "Imagine the boon Windows product activation promises for Bill's legion of lawyers," another reader wrote. "No more having to wait for the next major release when they want to change the EULA (End-User License Agreement). They can just send out a signal that disables everyone until they reactivate and click through the new terms ... Do you suppose this why Microsoft backs Uniform Computer Information Transaction Act (UCITA)?"

Possibly. I've long believed that one of the main motivations behind Microsoft's enthusiastic support for UCITA has been the legal cover that law provides for the remote and/or automatic disabling of customers' software. While we're on the subject of license enforcement, let me throw in a term one alert reader just spotted in the license for FrontPage 2002. "You may not use the Software in connection with any site that disparages Microsoft, MSN, MSNBC, Expedia, or their products or services ... " the license reads in part. Good thing InfoWorld doesn't use FrontPage 2002 to post this column, I guess.

So let's see: Microsoft is trying to control how customers use OEM software, trying to control when customers upgrade its products, trying to control when customers upgrade their hardware, and trying to control what customers say about Microsoft. I think I see a pattern.

What we can expect from Microsoft in the future is more of the same. Every move the company makes seems to take us one step closer to a world where it is Microsoft that makes the decisions, not the customer. If we didn't know it already, it's pretty clear now that the courts aren't going to restrain Microsoft from controlling its market. The only one who can do that is the person starring back at you in the mirror.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational Critical Thinking and the Process of Evidence-Based Practice Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Basic Risk based thinking questions Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 5
Jen Kirley Risk Based Thinking and acts of God/Mother Nature Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
Q Risk Based Thinking - Is a Documented Procedure required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Wes Bucey What were they thinking? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R How to Train Staff for Critical Thinking Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Chennaiite But who said we are new to Risk based thinking Imported Legacy Blogs 1
L Where next? Thinking outside the QMS box Career and Occupation Discussions 9
Sidney Vianna Are the TC 176 Documents on Risk Based Thinking useful to you? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A Informational Risk Management (and Risk Based Thinking) in ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 54
R New Draft Guidance Document for FDA's current thinking on De Novo submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M ISO 13485 and Class 1 Medical Device - FDA thinking ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
F Re-Defining Quality Contest - Thinking Outside of the QC Glossary Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Wes Bucey Still Thinking about a New Job for New Year? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
J John Seddon's book "Systems thinking in the public sector" Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
U Logical or Lateral Thinking Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
bobdoering Systems Thinking Exercise Imported Legacy Blogs 0
D Time is Money - Lean Thinking - Stories of Lean Improvements Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
Colin Lateral Thinking Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
S How can I die cut foam - I'm thinking of a simple hand machine? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
C Tri-annual in 2008, auditor changing and thinking of changing CB - advice needed. Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
R Production Supervisors..What are they thinking! Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 22
Sidney Vianna Crowdsourcing - Fast, Collaborative thinking After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
M Definition WSBH and WAH - Lean Thinking Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
D "Circular Thinking vs Linear Thinking" - Your Thoughts? The Reading Room 13
I Lean thinking, Australia & New Zealand? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
Marc Thinking of Vista OS from Microsoft? Will it play HD-DVDs or Blu-ray? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Wes Bucey Thinking about a New Job for New Year? Career and Occupation Discussions 116
L Strategy Plan for Systems Thinking Career and Occupation Discussions 6
L Implementing System Thinking Approach Throughout an Organization Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
M Stories relating to Thinking Outside the Box Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
Wes Bucey Really thinking outside the box! World News 5
I Definition Standard Deviation - Working vs. Thinking Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
K Do performance appraisals and systems thinking sit comfortably together? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
Steve Prevette Leading with Leading Indicators, Systems Thinking, and a "Dashboard" The Reading Room 3
J What Standards are required for Food Packaging? Thinking along hygiene, HACCP etc. Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 6
Marc Museums of the World - Not What You're Thinking Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Wes Bucey Queen Mary 2 - What were they thinking? Fire safety rule breaches Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 16
D Is the market still good for consultants? Thinking about becoming a consultant Consultants and Consulting 16
S Thinking of those who help. "Who packed your parachute" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
WALLACE Quality and Systems thinking impacting Human Resources (HR) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
T Introduce Statistical Thinking before introducing the equations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 17
Marc Thinking of buying a Dell computer? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 22
Marc Thinking Privacy and Security? Microsoft's Passport Program After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
Marc Registrar Comparisons - We're thinking of switching registrars Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
Marc Thinking of Measurement as a System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1