This is a slow day, I'm starting to get the Elsmar Cove DT's

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Holiday. I spent most the day mowing and such. Just finished a shower and now I'm Ready To --- well, ready to --- well, I'm sure I'll figure something to do. I've been playing with the site some.

You know, if it wasn't for the excuse of exercise, I wouldn't bother. I'm not sure if my neighbors would fire-bomb me for raising a small forest or not....

8466.jpg

Marc

Staff member
Admin
One more to relieve your boredom. 'Mom' and her 3 kits last night. They really like Meow Mix!

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Things to do:

1. Train Your Neighbors

Pull Lever

Get seed from 'Payoff Slot'

Eat Seed

Repeat

A

Al Dyer

Thanks Marc!

Great photos, after my post I decided to do something I havn't done in awhile, take a nap and relax.

Have a good weekend,

Al...

[This message has been edited by Al Dyer (edited 30 June 2001).]

M

Michael T

Marc,

I'm totally green with envy! You have a beautiful place - beats the heck out of my little 1/4 acre in the burbs... :D

It may be a pain the butt to mow - but man, what an awesome place. No wonder you have racoons & all the other furries. Very cool!

Have a great 4th of July!

Cheers!

Mike

A

Alf Gulford

Nice shots, Marc-
One question: Where did you get that nifty squirrel feeder. I'd like to find something similar that the bluejays can't rob. Is there a brandname (or are you selling plans)?
Alf

Marc

Staff member
Admin
The name on it is Vari-Crafts and I probably bought it at - well, I can't remember the name but it's a nation wide chain of bird-stuff stores. I hate to buy there as the prices are rip-offs, but sometimes I do get bulk seed - like 50# sacks - on sale. I fill it with sun flower seeds as they flow pretty well and rain doesn't completely gum up the works.

It has been fun watching the squirrels learn the lever 'trick'.

As for the bluejays - well, I spend about US$50 a month on 'animal' stuff. The bluejays here end up well fed. Actually, they like the MeowMix I throw out on the patio as much as the seed in the feeders. They'll come to within maybe 5 feet of me when there's a bunch of them and they 'feel cocky'. I throw out MeowMix or other cheap bulk cat food and the birds eat it, the 'coons LOVE it, the groundhogs eat a lot of it, but mostly in the spring. Skunks like it, as well. There are several wild cats which seem to like whatever I throw out, as well. Sometimes I put a bowl of peanuts inside the door (my desk is right at the sliding door) at my side and the more cocky 'coons come in and grab a few and take them to the patio to eat them. Not many rabbits show up for any length of time. I'd like to see more rabbits - I like them.

Desk by the sliding glass door (typically door is open):

Back_Yard.jpg

Marc

Staff member
Admin
BTW - The Vari-Craft folks have a sticker on the squirrel feeder saying it is guaranteed against squrrel damage for life. You can also vary the 'output' (payoff) per pull with a simple knob.

Mine is about 4 or 5 years old and I clean it once a year in the spring - as I do with all the feeders (I have 7 different feeders). It's as good as when I bought it. Works fine and no damage yet!. It's pretty well built and designed.

On the other hand, two of my feeders are totally wood and about 6 years old - they're going, but have a few good years left in them. I've had to do 'repairs' to each of them, though, each spring when I clean them.

J
Must add my comments to Michael's. It is a truly beautiful place. I may be a little biased since I'm in the area and know it well. I grew up in the Sharonville, Pisgah area when it was still pretty much rural. I still have relatives in the West Chester/Butler County area. I pains me some to see all the development out there.

I am curious how much ground you have there. I'm restrcited to an acre, and pretty much in town (married a city girl). Quite a bit of wildlife though. Jays, Mockers, Deer (neighbors feed them) Rabbits, occasional possum.

By the way your lack of rabbits may have to do with the wild cats hanging around. They are contra-indicated if you want rabbits around.

Great place. And great Web site too. Thanks for sharing

James Huening

[This message has been edited by JRKH (edited 02 July 2001).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Dying a slow SCOPE death - NEW ISO APG Paper on Scope and Applicability May 2020. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Wes Bucey Slow Internet Connection After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
S Maintaining ISO 9001:2008 when Automotive Business is Slow ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
C Slow News Week Stories Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 10
G Slow electronic documentation system - Seeking advice Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Starting an ISO 41001:2018 Facility management system Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
Marc Goldsmiths University will take beef products off the menu starting in September 2019 Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 19
jjmusicjr Starting from scratch - a plethora of challenges for a new Lumber Mill Machine Shop Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 11
supadrai ISO 27000 - Starting from Scratch for a Smallish Law Firm IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
J Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
Q Presentation for Employees - Starting the ISO 9001:2015 Transition ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
C I'm starting my Career in Quality Assurance Career and Occupation Discussions 8
J Starting from the factory floor get any respect? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 13
C FMEA Starting point FMEA and Control Plans 7
LeonelAguilar352 Starting an Internal Audit - Help with the basics Internal Auditing 12
M Contract Manufacturer 510K Starting Point 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
L Hand-starting threaded fasteners Benchmarking 3
D Just starting out looking to get into a quality engineer position Career and Occupation Discussions 2
C Starting a Quality Department from Scratch and Implementing ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
M Starting out toward compliance Imported Legacy Blogs 0
B Starting a small boutique and looking for business ideas Career and Occupation Discussions 8
M Starting ISO 17025 Accreditation from scratch - Petroleum Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
N Overwhelmed starting a new aviation related business AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 19
Oldrice Aerospace Registrar Problems - Starting Over? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
Jen Kirley Starting Something New Career and Occupation Discussions 104
bobdoering Finally, evidence that people are starting to care about Apple computers After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 7
M Implementing a Quality System - Just starting out..... in over my head. Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 12
E Starting Nadcap Accreditation and making an Implementation Timeline AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F Starting a Quality Control Program and writing a Quality Control Manual Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
T Document Control Revision - Starting Over Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
Q How raise en ECO starting from a NC - ECO after NCR? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Template for starting up new manufacturing facility in our company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
A Starting Supplier Management System in a Company Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
K Starting a new Calibration and Repair Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
B Starting a business in Dubai Career and Occupation Discussions 1
B Implementing APQP - Starting a fresh.... APQP and PPAP 6
R ANSI Z1.9 AQL 0.4 - What are the starting equipment expectations? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
K Starting an ISO 17025 Accredited Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 15
M Petrol (Gasoline) Prices Around the World - Part Trois Starting January 2011 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
C Starting an MSA study - How to decide which is appropriate or required Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Starting In-Process Quality Inspection in the Production Shopfloor Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
Ajit Basrur Starting Sustainability Initiatives in our Organization Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 15
C Rebuilding the QMS - What is a good starting point? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
Z Long Term Measurement Logging for Machine Shop - Starting with a clean slate Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E Starting to write a Quality System Manual - Import/export medical devices - Need help ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Starting up a new Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 18
B Starting a new Quality System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
A Starting the journey (ISO 9000 awareness) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
T CE Marking regulation of construction products starting on January 2009 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
B Tips for JUMP STARTING Job/Career Search? Career and Occupation Discussions 8