Thousands of part numbers and various items - PPAP questions

56flh

Our company produces thousands of part numbers and items varying in size from small screw machine produced parts up to thousand pound individual machined assemblies. In the last three years or so I have gotten PPAP requests from more and more of our larger OEM customers and I am wondering how this process should be applied.

When I am reading the PPAP manual it seems that this is oriented more towards a batch process where a sample of a quantity produced is used to produce the PPAP rather than a specialized process that may produce ten items in a day, or even one item, which is the situation I am in.

It seems like I am spending more time assembling a PPAP than some of our machining centers spend on producing a part and I'm wondering if some of you are charging a customer for the time involved in this endevor.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I think that some or most of these requests are not relevant

Page 1 of the PPAP handbook
Purpose
Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) defines generic requirements for production part approval, including production and bulk materials (see Glossary). The purpose of PPAP is to determine if all customer engineering design record and specification requirements are properly understood by the organization and that the manufacturing process has the potential to produce product consistently meeting
these requirements during an actual production run at the quoted production rate.
Applicability
PPAP shall apply to internal and external organization sites (see Glossary) supplying production parts, service parts, production materials, or bulk materials. For bulk materials, PPAP is not required unless specified by the authorized customer representative.
An organization supplying standard catalog production or service parts shall comply with PPAP unless formally waived by the authorized customer representative.
NOTE 1: See customer-specific requirements for additional information. All questions about PPAP should be addressed to the authorized customer representative.
NOTE 2: A customer can formally waive PPAP requirements for an organization, Such waivers can only be issued by an authorized customer representative.
NOTE 3: An organization or supplier requesting a waiver of a PPAP requirement should contact the authorized customer representative. The organization or supplier should obtain documentation of waivers
from the authorized customer representative.
NOTE 4: Catalog parts (e.g., bolts) are identified and or ordered by functional specifications or by recognized industry standards.

In to many cases the request is received and no one asks if it is really necessary. Check where the requirement is coming from, in to many cases the request is from people who do not know what they are talking about.

Good Luck

R

RandT

Yes, some companies are charging customers for PPAPs. Everything in business is negotiable.
That is a slippery slope; if I ever had a supplier charge for preparing a PPAP, I would live for the the day when they requested an internal process change that helped their operation.

"Sure, I would be interested in discussing your internal process change. But as you know, I will need to process a re PPAP for the change and that is an awful lot of work. How about you pay $$$ and I will approve it."

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
That is a slippery slope; if I ever had a supplier charge for preparing a PPAP, I would live for the the day when they requested an internal process change that helped their operation.

"Sure, I would be interested in discussing your internal process change. But as you know, I will need to process a re PPAP for the change and that is an awful lot of work. How about you pay $$$ and I will approve it."
Shoot - I have already heard that argument from OEMs even without paying for PPAPs. In fact, if they claimed if they didn't get a cash payback (even if it dramatically increases productivity or quality) to cover approval costs (which, due to their 'efficiency' is radically expensive), they won't commit the resources to approve the change. So, we continue to wallow in our "tried to continually improve until stiffed by the OEM" misery.

R

Rob Nix

As my PPAPpy always said, "To the one with only a hammer, everything looks like a nail". The customer will assume every supplier will abide by his PPAP requirements unless you tell him differently. You can either charge up front as a line item, bury it into the overall price, or, during the quote stage explain how you would like to meet the intent of the PPAP requirement using a modified method (that doesn't bury you in costs), and lowers the price for the customer.

If you accept the RFQ and PO as is, it becomes your problem and no one else's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
As my PPAPpy always said, "To the one with only a hammer, everything looks like a nail". The customer will assume every supplier will abide by his PPAP requirements unless you tell him differently. You can either charge up front as a line item, bury it into the overall price, or, during the quote stage explain how you would like to meet the intent of the submission using a modified method (that doesn't bury you in costs), and lowers the price for the customer.

If you accept the RFQ and PO as is, it becomes your problem and no one else's.
Hey Rob--good to see you here again!

G

gregtt

It is designed for use on a software documentation control system, but if the customer requests the documentation it's a legal requirement under contract law, I had a BOM with 6000 parts and no customers ever asked for documents on production quality control, also it may be delivered on a CD unless the customer can't use the CD, VOLO does this as a SOP, If it's a start-up cost of the production, charge for it in the setup fee, this is also SOP for job shops!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M How to validate hundreds or even thousands of parts? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
K Medical Device Regulations in South Africa - Company makes thousands of Products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
J Thousands of Outdated Drawings/Prints - Help! Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
AnaMariaVR2 FDA takes action against thousands of illegal Internet pharmacies US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
C Conversions - Decimal degrees into thousands - CMM that measures an angle Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 22
Ajit Basrur 'Thousands dead' in Chinese quake World News 7
L Regular/Annual Document Review in a Company with Thousands of Work Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
K Are Tooling Drawings Controlled Documents? Thousands of drawings! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
Marc Honda Motor Co. will recall thousands of its Odyssey minivans - Airbag Sensors World News 0
A Most ineffective motivational slogan - There are thousands of these things Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 48
D Partial FAI - AS9102 -One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
A 21 CFR Part 11 - Steps to take if we want to validate an electronic system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
K IEC 62304 compliance - Code reviews as part of verification strategy IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
M AS9102B Detail Part/Assembly FAI Form 1 box 13; AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
M 2xMOPP insulation for Applied Part B. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
A ISO 41001:2018 - Clause No.8 Operations Part Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
NDesouza Getting Rid of Part Marking Errors Benchmarking 39
L Wearables 21 CFR Part 11 compliance Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
DuncanGibbons How are part cut out specimens made and tested? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
S CQI-23 - Molding System Assessment - Control of part weight IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2
T Overvoltages consideration in Applied Part for RMS Calculation. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
M Informational How to perform a clinical evaluation of medical devices – Part 2 – Level of clinical evidence and what sufficient clinical evidence means Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
S FAIR - If we have not produced a part in over 2 years, but nothing has changed AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Informational Creating a post market surveillance (PMS) system for medical devices – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
Ed Panek Part 11 Self Certify Memo - What else should it cover? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
M Informational How to perform a clinical evaluation of medical devices – Part 1 – Overview and sample of activities Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
rezayatmand IEC 60601-2-18 Medical electrical equipment - Part 2-18: Particular requirements for the basic safety and essential performance of endoscopic equipmen IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Question on determining defective units - I am not recording fixture to part rejected Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
C Serialised Defective Part Replacement EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B F-type applied part - Separation from ALL(?) other parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
N Use part of high risk device for establishing low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N Can we take a part from 510k cleared medical device and use it in class I device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
F 21 CFR Part 11 - Implicit requirements - Validation plan for a Software as a Service Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational Some things the EU MDR 2017/745 does not tell you, but you may need to know to comply with it effectively – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G PolyWorks Alignment Issue - How to align the part General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
C 21 CFR Part 11- What about handwritten signatures? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q AS9120B - ESD monitoring devices part of 7.1.5 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
Ed Panek Do Cloud services require 21 CFR Part 11 compliance? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
padraick63 REACH and ROHS Requirement for a Molded Part REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
S Is the document author required to be identified as part of Document Change Notice? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15