Thread Presence Detection - What are companies using?

M

mkbagwell

We continue to improve our thread detection capabilities. What are other companies using? What methods are cost-friendly while still being effective?

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Thread detection - What are companies using?

We continue to improve our thread detection capabilities. What are other companies using? What methods are cost-friendly while still being effective?

Hi mkbagwell,

What is "thread detection"? I have never heard this term before.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

are we talking about screw threads? Like detecting a drilled hole vs a drilled and tapped hole?

M

mkbagwell

Wow. I'm surprised this term isn't as commonplace as I thought.

Yes, it's detecting whether or not threads have been tapped into a drilled hole; present or not present; threads vs. no threads.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource

We do it the old fashion way - visual inspection.

Not very cost effective - but we do a minimal of tap work.

M

MysterHK

At my working place, we keep a standards board of all the common fasteners that are used. At that phase, the QC inspector is required to pull the fastener off the board and fit test each threaded hole and sign it off as a step on the operation sheet.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Wow. I'm surprised this term isn't as commonplace as I thought.

Yes, it's detecting whether or not threads have been tapped into a drilled hole; present or not present; threads vs. no threads.

Is it fair to assume that your manufacturing processes are extremely high precision and high volume?

It it fair to assume that you are looking for experiences with machine vision in a high volume/fast production-type environment?

Stijloor.

M

mkbagwell

Yes, both statements are true. Do you have some information you can share? Thanks.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator

Is it fair to assume that your manufacturing processes are extremely high precision and high volume?

It it fair to assume that you are looking for experiences with machine vision in a high volume/fast production-type environment?

Stijloor.

:agree1: what Siijloor says.... is it high volume and/or high precision?

We make threads all day long every day, but the volume isn't so high nor the process so automated that we can't do it manually. Also the capabilities we gone so far as to calculate show that sampling is acceptable.

Top Bottom