Thread Ring Gauge verification

Hi all, I need help. It this ok if i use thread plug gauge to verify thread ring gauge?

Item need to verify: 1/4-36UNS-2A
Method to verify: 1/4-36UNS-2B
Frequency of verification: Everyday

hope anyone can help me :D

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Scanton

Wearer of many hats
Yes and No

You MUST NOT use a standard thread plug gauge to check a thread ring gauge EVER!!!

The tolerances involved usually mean that if you use a standard thread plug gauge to check a standard thread ring gauge you will damage them to the extent they will be outside calibration tolerances, and so useless for their intended purpose.

You can however purchase a thread plug specifically made checking a thread ring gauge (ask your gauge supplier), that MUST NEVER be used for any other purpose i.e. it must not be used to check threads on components just the thread of a thread gauge. I have purchased one recently and the cost is not much different to the cost of a standard gauge. My advice if you do purchase one, is to clearly identify what it is and control its use to avoid anyone trying to use it as a standard gauge.

Also, remember to put it in your calibration system as you would any other check gauge so it gets verified against national standards at regular intervals.

I hope this helps

Thanks for advice..

If i don't want to use thread plug gauge to verified, is there another method to verified the thread ring gauge?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Probably not without significant expense for equipment.

I have used ring gauges in many places and have never done calibration of ring or plug gauges in-house. Always sent out to calibration houses.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
I personally think it is easier to send ring/plug gage out to be calibrated. For reference, I pay about $25 for a plug gage, both sides, and $17 for each ring. Note, these prices are from memory and we send quit a few gage out each month. I don't know how you are setup but the cost in time for us is more than the cost of having someone else calibrate, and we know the gages are ISO 17025.

dwperron

I see danger here!

You are checking a Class 2A thread ring with a Class 2B plug. The Class 2A ring has tighter tolerances than your plug, you may be causing damage!

Also, if you are using the plug to adjust the ring gauge you need to use a setting plug gauge. For adjustable ring gauges you should always have a matching, calibrated setting plug!

DietCokeofEvil

You cannot use a 2B thread plug to check a 2A thread ring.

1/4-36 2A thread ring P.D.s- 0.2311/0.2280
1/4-36 2B Thread plug P.D.s 0.2320/0.2360

They don't even remotely match. You need a thread setting plug to check a thread ring. I will not recommend any other methods. There are calibration labs that offer alternative methods (mine included), but I will tell you that the setting plug is the only good way. Anyone who tells you anything different is lying to you.

Please don't use the work plug to set your ring.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kedarg6500 Availability of 5/8" 17.75 TPI Thread Ring Gauge & Die Nut Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
M Thread Ring Gauge Specifications General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Thread Ring Gauge UNJ vs UN General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
L Calibration of ring thread gauge with master gauge: How to calculate Uncertainty? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
O Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Calibration of Thread Plugs and Ring Gages - Various Thread Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Manufacturing Thread Ring Gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Measuring Solid Thread Ring Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
P Best Method of Cleaning of Thread Ring Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
K Calibration Requirements for Thread and Ring Gages AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
S Thread Timing - Ring Gage Frustration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
C Adjustable Thread Ring Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
D ISO/Metric Solid Thread Ring Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Thread Measurement - Basics on Thread Plug and Ring Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
T Calibration and Control - Need help with plug, ring, and thread plug gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
Q Tolerance Set Plugs to Calibrate Thread Ring Gage - Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
U Calibration House - Where I can get a PG 13.5 Gut thread ring gage calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D New thread ring cannot be threaded onto the truncated part of the master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
G Calibration of 200 sets of Thread Ring Gages - Return them to the manufacturer? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
G API REG Pin and Box Threading - Minimum Gages Needed - Thread, Plug and Ring gauges? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P Thread Ring Gages - Discrepancies - Is the manufacturer specification wrong? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Calibration, should we.... Go-No-Go, thread, pin, and ring gauges QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 2
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
C Aluminum galling on thread plug gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
H Thread Plug Gauge Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Cost effective thread gaging with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
APHX02 Thread Roll Process Verification w/in AS9100 (i.e. BSP-F-69/AS8879) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
M NPT thread gauging and the "rapping" process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
S What the difference is between Stub Acme & Acme thread? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
Marc Printable Discussion Thread View Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
O Thread Diameter as a Datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O ISO 9001:2015 Transition Internal Audit completion thread ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Thread plug chip groove - Thread plugs without the chip groove General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Unique ID Required for Thread Gage Replacements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
P Thread recommendation for Cast Iron part Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Thread callout - M22 x 1.0-6H 0.100R Thread Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
4 In-House Thread Wire Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E External Thread Cosmetic/Appearance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Thread Gage Training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
G Sequence and Frequency of Calibration for Thread Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Product Impact When Thread Rings Require Adjustment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
kedarg6500 How to calculate Thread Pitch Diameter for non standard TPI like 5/8" 17.75 NF3 Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I How to determine the thread wire size needed - Buttress Thread Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Roll Form Thread Standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Thread Gage Longevity Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
N Formula that will calculate the NoGo Major Diameter of an M20 x 1.5 6H Thread gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3