Thread subscription email links

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Marc, when I get subscriptions emailed to me they always have a link to the thread that goes to the latest post (showthread.php?threadid=****&goto=newpost). Does the forum software give you the option to change the "newpost" to link to the specific post in the thread instead? (showthread.php?p=*****)

Here's why I'm asking. I usually get several subscription emails overnight (I sleep sometimes :D), but I might only have time to read one or two next time I'm online. Later when I come to the website if there have been more posts, it loads up the wrong post in the thread and I have to backtrack to find which posts I've read. Most of the time it's not really a big issue, but sometimes threads can move pretty fast around here.

Sound possible?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
As I understand the system, what is supposed to happen is when you click that =newpost link (I *think* =newpost is an sql query subroutine in the php script asking the database to see which post was the last post that you read in that thread), you should be taken to the first unread post in that thread. So - if someone posts #9 keying to you an immediate e-mail (assuming for now you have *Immediate Notification* set) and two more posts are made after that (#10 and #11), the link should take you to post #9 - the first unread post in the thread for you.

Are you getting a daily subscription to the thread or immediate?

I haven't looked closely at the php scripts to see what it's actually doing so some guessing is going on on my part. Nor am I really intimate with the fields in the database tables much less do I have a map of what's doing what for a quick understanding. As an FYI there are 83 tables in the database and most tables have between 3 and 10 fields.

Is it possible? Probably. But not quickly.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Thanks Marc. :D I'm getting the immediate emails.

My impression is that the database remembers the last time you visited and sends you to the first post after that time. When I first click a link and come to the forums it will bring me to the right post (say post #9). If I'm still logged in at the site later when someone posts to the same thread (post #10), I get another email. If I click the link in the new email it will bring me to post #9 again.

On the other hand, sometimes I get 6 emails when I'm offline and I read only 2 of the posts, then leave for a couple of hours. When I come back later I may have another email for one of the other 4 threads. If that happens, the link (from either email) takes me to a later post. This is what I described above.

It's not really a huge issue, and I can definitely live without any changes. I just thought I'd bring it up in hopes that there might be a quick fix. :bigwave:

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Maybe it is keying off the time of last activity. I'm not sure what the trigger is for the software to mark a forum or a thread read other than the links.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I just got the email from your post when I was reading another thread. I clicked the link and it brought me to Post #2. It looks like as long as I'm here and active, it doesn't mark the thread as having been read. Try clicking the "Go To First Unread" link at the top of the page here and see where it puts you.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
One thing you might try is NOT using the little button in the row of five at the top right of each page. It is keyed to tell you the posts since your last VISIT and it is not updated until you log out. Try the little arrow on the far right of the thread.

Attachments

Marc

Staff member
Admin
howste said:
Try clicking the "Go To First Unread" link at the top of the page here and see where it puts you.
As I said, that button does not refresh until you show no activity in the previous 20 minutes.

I don't notice this stuff, like envelopes, because I use the Posts in the last 24 hours feature. I can easily see what was added and when. I don't have *any* thread subscriptions set because I'm here at least once a day. I don't need a bunch of mail when I can just hit the Posts in the last 24 hours button. Sometimes I'm on all day, practically. Some days I have an audit so I'm gone most of the day. But no matter - I'm here at least once every day.

As to going to the 'first new post' when I check a thread, I guess I don't notice anything using the 'last 24 hours' call.

Quick Test: I just did the 'Last 24 Hours' button and each thread with a new post showed with a little down arrow under the post title on the left. Threads I have already read (no new posts) had none. So I chose a thread with one or more new post(s) (just logged on) and read it - energy's self congratulation sheriff thread. There were several new posts. It took me to the first unread post - there were several. I then did the '24 hour' button and it showed no new posts for that thread so it is looking at what thread I visited and marks it read. All the other threads which also had the 'down arrow' which I had not visited still had their 'down arrow' so it knew I had not visited them. Then I opened a different browser and did a test post with a test account to the thread. I then went back to the main browser where I'm already logged in as Marc and did the '24 hour' button (effectively I was refreshing the page) and it again indicated a new post in that thread the same as when I first logged on (remember it was marked read before the refresh). So - the software knew that since I last visited the thread, still logged on (activity prior to the 20 minute 'cutoff') a new post was made to the thread. So - I hit the little 'down' arrow which is supposed to take me to to the first new post and - there I was at the test post. It does call the post number rather than the '=newpost' call. So - the software correctly tracked. It took me to the new post - not to the 'new post since last login' post.

I believe there is an issue on when and how it tracks what the last post read was as in some situations. I have found (can't remember a specific off hand) that there was a new post, that I had read the thread and asking it to take me to the new post took me to the 'first' new post *since my last visit* (which is want the '=newpost' function apparently keys on) and not the latest post. But as I remember that was back when I used the forum views and such which I rarely use any more. I believe that may be *in part* why there is a Mark This Forum Read link in the the five upper right buttons and at the bottom of each forum page - to zero everything out. I didn't see a mark This Thread link anywhere.

I can't think of a repercussion of having the e-mail notice send a post number instead of the =newpost function, but I want to make sure: 1. That I can make that change - I know very little about php coding (php is no different than C, fortran, perl or any other programming language - it's not something one picks up overnight, not to mention SQL calls from the scripts), and of course, 2. That there won't be an adverse effect on the other two digest options. Haven't had time to look at the templates, I have to see what variables are being called, and even whether there is a way to 'know' what the post number is which triggers the e-mail.

I'll look into some of this stuff more in the future. As of now everything is stable, or appears to be, so I'm backing out for a while to let it run its self. I want to watch for bugs right now rather than possibly induce new ones.

If I find a quick, easy way I'll do it but don't hold your breath on this one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing Processes Thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
C Aluminum galling on thread plug gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
H Thread Plug Gauge Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Cost effective thread gaging with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
APHX02 Thread Roll Process Verification w/in AS9100 (i.e. BSP-F-69/AS8879) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
O Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
M NPT thread gauging and the "rapping" process Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
S What the difference is between Stub Acme & Acme thread? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
Marc Printable Discussion Thread View Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
S Thread Ring Gauge verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
O Thread Diameter as a Datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O ISO 9001:2015 Transition Internal Audit completion thread ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Thread plug chip groove - Thread plugs without the chip groove General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Unique ID Required for Thread Gage Replacements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Calibration of Thread Plugs and Ring Gages - Various Thread Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Thread recommendation for Cast Iron part Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Thread callout - M22 x 1.0-6H 0.100R Thread Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
4 In-House Thread Wire Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Manufacturing Thread Ring Gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
E External Thread Cosmetic/Appearance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Thread Gage Training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
C Measuring Solid Thread Ring Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
P Best Method of Cleaning of Thread Ring Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
G Sequence and Frequency of Calibration for Thread Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Product Impact When Thread Rings Require Adjustment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
kedarg6500 How to calculate Thread Pitch Diameter for non standard TPI like 5/8" 17.75 NF3 Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I How to determine the thread wire size needed - Buttress Thread Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Roll Form Thread Standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Thread Gage Longevity Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
kedarg6500 Availability of 5/8" 17.75 TPI Thread Ring Gauge & Die Nut Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
N Formula that will calculate the NoGo Major Diameter of an M20 x 1.5 6H Thread gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
6 Print Callout for a Special Thread - 1.173-18 UNS-3A Major Dia. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Calibration of Master Thread Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Measurements of Major Diameters of plug thread gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Free iPhone app - Screw Thread Calculator After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
D Indysoft Calibration Software Thread Plug Template Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Qualifications I need to adhere to for Thread Gage Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
T Inspecting Full Thread Depth with a Plug Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Screw Thread Go and No Go Gauge Standard Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J Acme Thread Gage Tool Wear Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
A STI (Screw Thread Insert) Thread Gauge-use Before or After Insertion? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
T How do I calibrate NPT Thread Plug Gages? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
SATHYABALARAMAN Thread Plug Gauge - NO-GO Rejection Criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Rolling the correct M8 1.25 Pin Thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 2