Threaded plug and ring gage calibration procedures

T

Timmer

After a 6 month reassignment, I am back in our quality lab. In my absense the former technician, in a cost savings directed approach, decided to calibrate the threaded rings in house using a "master" 6G threaded plug for the corresponding ring. Well he never sent the "masters" out for certification and after I did, 5 of the 7 came back out of tolerance. For the threaded plug gages he attempted to use the 3 wire/micrometer method. In 6 months I can only find evidence of a handfull of out of tolerance plugs whereas in the past when I sent these gages out to an accreditated calibration lab, we would have numerous per month. I have some photocopied pages of ANSI/ASME B1.16M-1984, in particular appendix B which illustrates specifically conditions that our in house lab can not meet to properly perform these calibrations. I am asking if anybody out there in calibration land has any easy to get to procedures or documents that also show the proper calibration procedure. A meeting is scheduled here in 2 days in order to address the potential of having literally hundreds of threaded plugs and rings in our shop that may be out of tolerance. This does not give me a lot of time to purchase and receive documentation, so I thought I would try here for suggestions that may help. Thank you in advance for all replies.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
CarolX said:
I have seen this site suggested previously for MIL standards. Both times I went there and did a search for the identified standard. Both times I got 0 hits in the search.

If you really want the MIL standard for something why not go to the source: http://dodssp.daps.dla.mil.

This does require you to sign-up. This is mostly a validation process to assure that you could/should have access. Regardless, once approved all MIL standards are available in PDF format for immediate download at no charge.

Last edited:

Wayne

Gage Crib Worldwide
Timmer said:
... I have some photocopied pages of ANSI/ASME B1.16M-1984, in particular appendix B which illustrates specifically conditions that our in house lab can not meet to properly perform these calibrations. I am asking if anybody out there in calibration land has any easy to get to procedures or documents that also show the proper calibration procedure. ... This does not give me a lot of time to purchase and receive documentation ...
ANSI/ASME B1.16M is the standard that you should be using for metric thread gages. But photocopied pages? A common practice although not good form for a copyrighted document. This document is available from www.global.ihs.com in hardcopy only. Using an overnight courier and it can be yours in a day or two.

I thought that it would be available from the ANSI online store at http://webstore.ansi.org, but I just looked and they did not have it available in any format. If for some reason you do not like Global Engineering Documents, the ANSI store gave three choices of where to get the document. I chose this one only because I have previously used them.

Last edited:

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
In the short term, the ANSI is likely the best source.....for a longer term solution, join GIDEP so you have access to all the various procedures including military ones, which are certainly validated. I think the website is http://www.gidep.org and it is no cost.

One point about MIL-STDs.....they were retired about a decade ago.....

You don't mention whether you operate under a 9K or ISO/IEC 17025 QMS, or what kind of equipment you have for checking the rings and plugs (e.g. supermic), or what the environmental conditions are where the items are checked and how the environment is controlled.....those questions make a difference as to how the issues are handled in your upcoming meeting.

Hope this helps.

Hershal

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Gage Recall Analysis - Threaded Plug Gage has failed Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Calibrating 1/2-20 UNF 2B STI Threaded Plug Gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Minor diameter of threaded ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Interesting Discussion Threaded ring gage calibration and tendonitis in the elbows General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Clarification of threaded ring gage calibration procedure/requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Looking for a Threaded Ring Gage Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
D Standard torque values for threaded fasteners AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
T Optical Comparator measuring of Position of a Threaded Hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L Hand-starting threaded fasteners Benchmarking 3
0 Is it possible to use a threaded ring gage to calibrate the M8 gage? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
A Multiple Threaded Fastener Tolerance Specification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
optomist1 Measuring Threaded Holes in Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
E SAE-AS8879 Threaded Hole Gaging - .4375UNF-3B and .4375-UNJF-3B Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
M Torque Testing for Threaded Inserts in Sheet Metal Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
D New thread ring cannot be threaded onto the truncated part of the master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
C Blind, Threaded Hole - How can I Eliminate Chips? Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
G Flex Plugs - Gage R&R (GR&R) - Threaded plugs used to check location of tapped holes Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
P Seeking advice regarding missing and cross threaded bolts Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
F Calibrating Taper Sleev/Plug Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
R NRTL - Scope Question - Off-the-Shelf Plug In IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
C Aluminum galling on thread plug gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
H Thread Plug Gauge Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
F Holes position inspection - Calculation of centre distance and plug sizes of a gauge Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Thread plug chip groove - Thread plugs without the chip groove General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
M Calculating MTBF for plug-in PCI cards Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
C Calibration of Master Thread Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Measurements of Major Diameters of plug thread gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
D Indysoft Calibration Software Thread Plug Template Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Incomplete DHF: Re-do or plug gaps? Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
T Inspecting Full Thread Depth with a Plug Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M How to make Plug Gauge No & NoGo Sizes Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 3
T How do I calibrate NPT Thread Plug Gages? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
SATHYABALARAMAN Thread Plug Gauge - NO-GO Rejection Criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Plug Discharge Test Calculations IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R Hospital Grade Mains Plug US (NEMA 5-15) and Japan IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
R Should be Hospital Grade Plug be used in Class II Medical Equipment? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
CycleMike 7.6.1 - ".....type of measurements system" and Plug Go/NoGo gages IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L TiN Coated Thread Plug Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
T Constant for a M3x.35 Set Plug using the "Three-Wire Method" Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
F Standard regarding the wear of Thread and Plug Gages. General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
D What is the difference between Pin and Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
M Thread Plug Gage - Calibration Frequency ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Use of ANSI Standard for Metric Thread Plug Gage? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L Plug Gages and Tapered Holes - Compensation for Heat Treat Distortion General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M ASME B1.13M Standard - Specification of a Plug Gage of Minor Diamateter Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
L Calibration Procedure for Internal Spline Plug Gage Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Thread Measurement - Basics on Thread Plug and Ring Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5