Three Questions About Control Plan Content and Requirements

D
Control Plans

Every company has their own definition for control plans. We do not do control plans on every part. Are we in compliance with QS? We have process sheet packets which state every operation and give details on measuring etc, for every part. I believe they are a very good form of control plan.Can you clarify?
2. Do all control plans from the day of existence of the company need to state pre-launch, prototype, or production or can we grandfather them into the procedure?
3. Do our process sheet packets need to state prelaunch, prototype, and production also? Can you clarify what type of documentation needs to state this, and can you tell me if the process sheet packets need to state this on every page? Our packets include mold spc charts, sinter charts, tumble charts, etc. ; everything needed to fulfill the job requirement.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I suggest you download the APQP and FMEA presentations from the pdf_files directory.

1a. Do these documents on equipment - not parts.

1b. Process sheets are not control plans. There is a control plan forma with certain columns required. Their purpose is problem solving in nature whereas process sheets are process oriented. You can distill some items from your process documentation and in fact there should be links such as inspections and tests. Your control plan defines them and they are then (typically) included on process documentation.

2. They're the same document - you define the document by it's status at any given position in a timeline (by date). Often all three look the same anyway.

3. Just rev other documents as appropriate. You don't have to stamp Pre- and such on documents. You just have to be able to show standard control and be able to relate revisions to your timeline as to status.

D
So, what you are telling me is we have process sheets which do say sample when they are in the sample stage, and we are in compliance with this?
They are also on different color paper to signify they are samples.
Oh yeah, how do we know what we need control plans for and what we dont?
Right now, we are only doing them when the customer requests them? Are we ok with this?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I'd have to see your process sheets. If they have the same info as the control plan requires you might be able to sell the idea. But I'm skeptical. Again, there are some standard control plan formats but they each must have certain common elements.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 11-09-98).]

C

Christian Lupo

Dawn-

I dont know if I am confusing the issue, but here goes:

Are you QS certified? If you are you should have control plans for each product of family of products, if they are sold to automotive customers or customers who subscribe to QS-9000. For example we sell several different products. Each product is pretty much made by the same process. Therefore the control plan is almost the same for each product. Once we created one the rest were easy.

Now each product can be made to a different thickness. We did not create control plans for each thickness. Technically the product is different since our customers use it for different applications. But since only thing that changes is the thickness, we call this a "family" of products. It is QS compliant to have one control plan for a family of products if your customers says so.

As far as all the documentation you currently have to control the process, I believe we have something similar. We have detailed operating procedures, set-up checklists, data forms etc... BUT they do not meet the control plan requirement. On the other hand our control plans do not replace all the detailed documentation. They work together. We reference the detailed docuemntation in the the control plan.

Hope this helps

S

Steven Sulkin

Christian-

How do you go about setting up a product family if specs are required on the control plan? We have many parts, many specs all going through similar processing and control points. Can we define all these parts as a family and reference the specs in an appendix?

Does this same thinking apply to Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA)? In other words, do one MSA study on a piece of equipment that may run hundreds of specs through it?

D
Chris,
Thanks for the reply. You were very helpful. I have put into our procedure that we do control plans when the customer requires it, and our process sheets serve as our control plan other wise. Will we be ok with this? Our process sheets state every step of the process.
Thanks, Dawn

M

marcost

Steven Sulkin said:
Christian-

How do you go about setting up a product family if specs are required on the control plan? We have many parts, many specs all going through similar processing and control points. Can we define all these parts as a family and reference the specs in an appendix?

Does this same thinking apply to Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA)? In other words, do one MSA study on a piece of equipment that may run hundreds of specs through it?
Have anybody discovered about this? What i have to write on the specifications if i do a control plan for a family of products????

Hi, i asked once about this but had no response. Here it goes.

If i create a control plan for a family of products, what must i do on the specification collumn? Can i link this information on a process sheet or other document, just writing this link on the control plan?

Where can i get more information about QS and mainly about APQP and PPAP. But i am looking for a more detailed information, because i need to evaluete what is important or not for us, because we are not going to be certified by QS.

We are not a automotive industry, but our custumers are asking to move to QS parameters, like an APQP developing. We are trying to adjust our system to this procedure.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Marc said:
You might want to start off by purchasing the QS 7 pack - if they still sell them them that way. You need the bunch.
You can get all of the documents from the AIAG here. For the QS-9000 7 pack, order Q7-K, or you can get the new TS 16949 7 pack by ordering TS7-K. You may not need everything though, depending on what your customers are asking for. Each of the books can be purchased individually, and I don't think they give you a discount by ordering them all together. You'll definitely want PPAP and APQP.

I agree with Marc on the matrix. In the control plan specification column, just refer the user to a matrix where they can find the spec for each part number. Or you could even refer to the part drawings if you want.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Three basic questions about ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Beginner in ISO 45001 here! Three questions Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
S Three Questions on Finished Medical Device Traceability, Labeling and Packaging US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
P Monitoring Production Defects - Three simple questions Six Sigma 3
isolisa Three ISO 17025 Questions ISO 17025 related Discussions 8
H Japanese Regulations for Medical Devices - Three Questions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
W Three questions about ISO9001 which my company asked me ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
C ISO 14001 Requirements - Three Basic Questions Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
R Problem solving activity - Three hours to fix the issue Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
L Templates for three ISO 13485:2016 SOPs ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
S How to number and control translated SOPs - Three languages Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
I Flatness - Rectangular part using the three jack method Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
B Variable Gage R&R - Two operators instead of three Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D How to fill a Process FMEA - Three columns - Severity, occurrence and Detection FMEA and Control Plans 16
Marc Hackers unleash smart Twitter phishing tool that snags two in three users IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
M Three final products in one biocompatibility test? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
R FDA released three guidance documents for Medical Devices - August 2014 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A Is it mandatory to revise MSDS every three years? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
E ANOVA for Taguchi method - Four factors and three levels and nine runs (Minitab) Using Minitab Software 6
Ajit Basrur India marks three years since last polio case Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 2
C Optimize One Response with Three Variables Using Minitab Software 8
E How can I measure three true positions? GD&T basic question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
B Three Sub-Companies - Is One Quality Manual Enough? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
J Three Best Practices and Lessons Learned in APQP APQP and PPAP 1
H Do we need all three AS9102 forms if we manufacture only Piece Parts? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
I Analysing the data from three different cavities of one mould Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
L I have four groups to compare, and each group has three samples Using Minitab Software 4
N What are three kinds of flow in Lean or Six Sigma? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
B What is the psychology behind three rings? Customer Complaints 8
Marc Customer Service - Three Stories About Improving Customer Service Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
J Calibration of Micrometer Reading up to Three Decimals General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D One-Two-Three Sigma Control Limits - Calculating Control Limits for X-bar Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
T Constant for a M3x.35 Set Plug using the "Three-Wire Method" Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
AnaMariaVR2 FDA has issued three Warning Letters... US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 13
F Differences among three locations with respect to mean selling price - Minitab help Using Minitab Software 2
R How to determine the reference voltage for three-phase transformer? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
Marc Three Email Topics Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
S Best wire size for 'three wire method' to measure pitch dia. of asymmetrical thread General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Proposal to Senior Management - Three options for our new CAPA process Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N DFM, DFA and POKA YOKE - Are these three related? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Marc Three-Inch Device Detects 3,000 Types of Viruses and Bacteria World News 0
P Panic time! Audit in three days! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
M Top Three Reasons why TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) Initiatives Fail Manufacturing and Related Processes 39
Hershal Only THREE foods - Informal sharing of tastes Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
P Determining Sample Size - Filling a bag with three different types of candy Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 31
T Gage R & R Study "Best Practices" - More than three operators? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
Sam4Quality The Three Jars! Brain Teasers and Puzzles 4
M Chi Square Help - One of my variables has three possible results Using Minitab Software 15
Proud Liberal Using Three (3) Gage Pins to Check Hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
O Difference between Six and Three Sigma? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11