Time and Motion Study + VSM (Value Stream Mapping)

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Bev,

Sorry, I overstated it.

The paper I attached provides a more balanced perspective on the current state of T&M studies.

"‘In the 1970s and 1980s, the measurement of work was linked to pay, via individual incentive schemes,’ says Phil Scotcher, general manager of Ilfracombe, Devon-based TDK-Lambda, a manufacturer of electrical power supplies that dates back to 1959. ‘Employees were paid for meeting or exceeding a standard time or rate, and penalised for not.’

The downside, of course, was that as a result of being paid like individuals, employees acted like individuals. Again, the memories are often painful for those who were there.

‘Across UK industry, you’d see operators performing individual pieces of work, maximising their own earnings - even as they generated piles of work-in-progress, or poor quality output that wouldn’t be detected until it reached a subsequent work station some time later,’ says Scotcher. ‘And the payment system was encouraging this behaviour.’

In short, sums up Scotcher, ‘at its most stark, it was a system that gave workers license to perform a task in a way that would maximise their own earnings, rather than in a way that was best for the business’".

"So the idea was to eliminate inter-station buffers of work-in-progress, and link the pace of production to the actual level of demand with pull-scheduling systems such as kanban cards, or their electronic equivalents, governing the rate of output. In short, there was simply no logic to rewarding over-producing - and often no physical means of over-producing anyway: if components aren’t there, and don’t exist, then they cannot be worked upon.

The result was inevitable. ‘Individual incentive schemes disappeared - and with them, the individual measurement of work,’ sums up Scotcher. In short, with other means available for generating workplace productivity improvements, and no need for time and motion studies in order to drive payment systems, industrial engineering went into terminal decline.

That said, time and motion studies haven’t died out completely. TDK-Lambda itself makes periodic use of them when introducing a new product.

‘It gives us a baseline standard time for costing purposes,’ says Scotcher, who readily admits to occasionally missing the certainty that a time and motion study provided.".

Thanks for correcting me.

John

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks for the clarification, John.
I would add that time and motion studies were misused to create the 'piece work' scheme you reference. Piece work is an abomination and is the antithesis of TPS. The appropriate use of time and motion studies will help us to eliminate waste, balance the line and keep our employees safe.

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
I was thinking so, because if it were useful , toyota for sure would be took
Thanks for the clarification, John.
I would add that time and motion studies were misused to create the 'piece work' scheme you reference. Piece work is an abomination and is the antithesis of TPS. The appropriate use of time and motion studies will help us to eliminate waste, balance the line and keep our employees safe.
@Bev D
I ve browsed on the net, regarding lean, by using vsa, vsm, identifying va and nva, implementing kaizen, kanban, etc. and never have seen whatsoever the use of time and motion method. Do you know why?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Probably because you are reading things that follo the Americanized version of lean that looks at industrial engineering and Taylorism as anti lean. If you read Toyota Production System works you will see that ‘time and motion’ studies are in fact used. They aren’t the first thing but they are there. Start with the works of Bob Emiliani.

It may also depend on what you define as ‘time and motion’ studies and how they are used. TPS is not about piece work, it about determine the most efficient motion paths (including ergonomic and behavioral safety).

TPS also desn’t use value stream mapping, but I wonder how to create a VSM without timing how long operations and queues take? And how can we identify wastes like excess motion and overprocessing without looking at the workers motions?

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Probably because you are reading things that follo the Americanized version of lean that looks at industrial engineering and Taylorism as anti lean. If you read Toyota Production System works you will see that ‘time and motion’ studies are in fact used. They aren’t the first thing but they are there. Start with the works of Bob Emiliani.

It may also depend on what you define as ‘time and motion’ studies and how they are used. TPS is not about piece work, it about determine the most efficient motion paths (including ergonomic and behavioral safety).

TPS also desn’t use value stream mapping, but I wonder how to create a VSM without timing how long operations and queues take? And how can we identify wastes like excess motion and overprocessing without looking at the workers motions?
In such analysis is considered to observe and measure time taken for all activities (people and equipment) and also movement s (how people get raw material, from where, to get tools for equipment setup, etc.) I suppose is that.
But never mentioned textually " time and motion".
I plan to do an analysis, and consider to gather all said data.
But I wonder time and motion follows a special methodology?
Thanks

Top Bottom