Time for a Special 510k? Making a formulation change to an existing 510k

S

Sarah San Diego

Hi all...

We are considering (very preliminary at this point) making a formulation change to an existing 510k registered product. The potential change would be a concentration of the formulation. Based on the reading I am doing I would consider this to be a significant change even if the indications and product specifications remain the same. I am leaning towards filing a special 510k as the user would have significantly different instructions (resulting in a package insert and instrument change) and the associated risk factors may vary. Can anyone either support or refute this decision based on their knowledge or experiences? Thanks in advance for all of your help! I would really appreciate any feedback.

Sarah

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Time for a Special 510k?

Hi all...

We are considering (very preliminary at this point) making a formulation change to an existing 510k registered product. The potential change would be a concentration of the formulation. Based on the reading I am doing I would consider this to be a significant change even if the indications and product specifications remain the same. I am leaning towards filing a special 510k as the user would have significantly different instructions (resulting in a package insert and instrument change) and the associated risk factors may vary. Can anyone either support or refute this decision based on their knowledge or experiences? Thanks in advance for all of your help! I would really appreciate any feedback.

Sarah
Have you gone through the flow charts? I believe a performance change requires a 510(k) if you need clinical data to establish safety & efficacy.

Re: Time for a Special 510k?

Hi all...

Sarah
Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the Cove. :bigwave:

Regarding your query, a special 510(k) may be acceptable. However, the change can only be addressed in a special 510(k) if certain requirements are met. For eg., a change in formulation in a material or a change to a type of material that has been used in other legally marketed devices within the same classification regulation for the same intended use could be reviewed as a Special 510(k). This should be true for both non-contacting devices as well as implants and devices that contact body tissues or fluids.11

Also if you refer http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?fr=320.21 , it clearly states the following -

(c) Any person submitting a supplemental application to FDA shall include in the supplemental application the evidence or information set forth in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section if the supplemental application proposes any of the following changes:

(1) A change in the manufacturing site or a change in the manufacturing process, including a change in product formulation or dosage strength, beyond the variations provided for in the approved application.

(2) A change in the labeling to provide for a new indication for use of the drug product, if clinical studies are required to support the new indication for use.

(3) A change in the labeling to provide for a new dosage regimen or for an additional dosage regimen for a special patient population, e.g., infants, if clinical studies are required to support the new or additional dosage regimen.

Hope this helps.

S

Sarah San Diego

Thanks Al and Quality,

I have read both of the suggested documents and I still feel like I am in the "gray" area. The potential change doesn't quite fit into any of the categories described and when I use the flow chart I feel like there are big judgement calls that could go either way. I think this probably means I need to go ahead and file the special 510(k). Thanks again for your suggestions.

Sarah

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Letter to file or special 510k or traditional 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
G Special 510K possible? Only the packaging has changed Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S The key differences in 510k types - Traditional vs. Abbreviated vs. Special US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
P V&V for Special 510k 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
I Special 510k Imported Legacy Blogs 0
E 'Special' 510k as a Predicate Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
J Change in wording, but not content - Special 510k? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M A traditional 510K or Special 510K - Manufacturing facility and other changes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
N IEC 60601-1 , 3rd edition and the FDA - Special 510k to my updated Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 40
P Do we need to submit Special 510K for a Blood Glucose System? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Testing data for Special 510k and contact person Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
N Special Contract Manufacturing or 510k Licensing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A Sterility Assurance Level? Special 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
A Special 510k Update - Cease Sales and Distribution until a Decision is Rendered? Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
S Special 510k Operating System for Data Management Software Design Documents IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S Special 510k for Data Management Software Document Requirements IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
D Special 510k - Data Results of the Design Verification and Validation Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Z 10993-7 Special Populations and Area Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Defining special characteristics beyond customer drawing FMEA and Control Plans 11
N 8.3.3.3 Special characteristics - Auditor said we are required to create our own, if no customer char. exist. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
G Special needs operators : how to treat trainings and etc ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Traditional or Special 510(k) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
D 8.5.1.2 Validation and control of special processes requirements for Heat Treat External Processor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Casana Mentioning Special Characteristics in SOP FMEA and Control Plans 4
M Contact with special interest groups IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
B SPECIAL PROCESS VALIDATION & REVALIDATION Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT - De Novo Proposed Rule - Special Controls and Standards Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A Special Characteristic question from Automotive CSR Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
N Validation of special processes - thread closed Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
John C. Abnet Special Status Notification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Special IATF audit of sub-supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
A IRIS audit - Discussion about Special Processes General Auditing Discussions 11
S SOP Identification of Special Characteristics IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
B AS9102 - 3D printing a special tool required for assembly (counterfeit risk?) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
Nihls MSA Study Type 2 (special conditions ) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Techilady Ford Special Characteristics Communication and Agreement Form (SCCAF) provides production requirements? FMEA and Control Plans 4
R Critical Characteristics & Special Characteristics FMEA and Control Plans 2
S OEM full range calibrations vs Validation special test points Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
S Special 510(k) for orthopedic implant 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
N Riveting - special process Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
H AS9100D clause 8.5.1 f) & 8.5.1 g) - Special Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C AIAG-VDA PFMEA - 1st special Characteristics? [5step vs. 6step] FMEA and Control Plans 3
J 1.11 Preliminary Identification of Special Product and Process Characteristics APQP and PPAP 4
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Y What are different Special Inspection Level 1-4 and General spesification 1-3 ? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
L Special Processes for SERVICES AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K PSA Special characteristics Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
Watchcat Advantages to pursuing a Special 510(k) instead of a Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Special 510(K) - Labeling change from Rx to OTC Other US Medical Device Regulations 11