Time tracking - View New Posts - Subscriptions

B

Bob_M

Possible Bug - Time tracking and "View New Posts"

I'm not sure how often it happens but the forum software (or cookies) don't seem to track my last visit very well. Maybe its the way I use the site...

I typically open the site in the morning, and go the the "view new posts". I often leave the page open and will hit REFRESH during the day.
Lately NOT all post seem to show up on the search.

Also I'll read/post some thing within a 1 minute, and the web site suddenly seems to thing I read/posted something like 7 mintues ago.
Am I going crazy or do other people notice this?

Basically I'm not seeing all the NEW POSTS.
Is there a bug or should I just close and revisit site manually each time?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Right now I'm going to say wait another day or so. There are a few cookie issues which may be part of the issue.

Typically when you log in you log into something like Elsmar.com/Forums/ I've posted the IP a few times which could rsolve to (at this time) elsmar55.tempdomainname.com or you might have gotten the elsmar55.tempdomainname.com from my link at the old site. Cookies are set to the domain you used.

With all the switching going on, there may be some domain confusion going on. In addition, Verio has yet to get it set up so that if you input only the IP address it will resolve to Elsmar.com (it is still pointing to elsmar55.tempdomainname.com as of this afternoon for me).

16949.com is resolving so you could log out, clear all your cookies manually. See what happens when you log in again using 16949.com.

A second thing to consider is that technically when you log in there is a cookie timeout function so if you don't do anything for about 15 minutes it assumens you left. This is important with respect to the 'View Posts since last visit'. If you log in and wait 15 to 20 minutes, your cookie expires and when you reload the page or whatever it assumes you just returned and as such there are no new message(s) 'since your last visit'.

Now - don't confuse 'Posts since your last visit' with 'Posts in the last 24 hours' which is a rolling 24 hours so whenever you load that page, it may be that a post which was 23 hours old is not 24.5 hours old and as such has rolled off the queue of posts in the last 24 hours.
Also I'll read/post some thing within a 1 minute, and the web site suddenly seems to thing I read/posted something like 7 mintues ago.
I'm not sure what could be happening off hand. I'd appreciate any details you can provide.

The only number I am sure is incorrect at this time is the 'Most Users Ever Online Concurrently' which I'm looking for the fix for.

Marc

Leader
OH - BTW - cookie timeout was set at 1200 seconds (20 minutes) not long after I started using vBulletin because people complained that their 'Messages since last visit' list would clear so quickly. As I remember the default was 10 minutes or something. As one reads one may get a call or something and before you know it 20 minutes has passed and - poof - only messages posted after your cookie expiration show up in the listing.

I always use the 'Last 24 hours' link but since I'm here every day as of late I'm not going to miss any posts.

As an FYI - a new feature of this software is 'Digests'.

You can 'Subscribe' to a forum. At the bottom of each forum listing is a link saying "Subscribe to This Forum". It will ask you if you want an e-mail notification with the message(s) (a 'digest') and if so daily or weekly. If you choose daily, once a day you'll get an e-mail with a copy of each new post in that forum over the last 24 hours. The same for weekly - but, of course, that sends you an entire week of posts in 1 e-mail. This is a feature from many ListServs which people cried to the vB people to include for a long time. many people don't want to visit the forums every day and are just interested in a forum or two. With a daily or weekly digest you can see whether you want to visit or not. I still get a daily 'digest' from several ListServs which have been subscribed to for over 7 years now. Of course few ListServs have a real http interface - it's all e-mails.

And if you go to your User Control Panel (UserCP) you can list all the forums you are subscribed to and it will tell you if there are new posts in the forum. You can 'Subscribe' to specific threads in forums in the same way.

B

Bob_M

OK
I'm being patient with the change over and all.
Where is the LAST 24 HOURS button?
I have not seen it since the software change...

A

Atul Khandekar

Marc said:
The only number I am sure is incorrect at this time is the 'Most Users Ever Online Concurrently' which I'm looking for the fix for.
I think this number looks inflated because even the 'spiders' are counted as guests. Well, right now there are 67 guests- most of them (60) are 'Inktomi spider', 'Ask Jeeves spider', & 'Alltheweb spider'.

Marc

Leader
Bob_M said:
OK
I'm being patient with the change over and all.
I have not seen it since the software change...
At the top of each page is the 'Site Map' if you will. On the left side are links to forum areas. One - which has been there for a long while, is the "Posts in Last 24 Hours" 'button'.

If you're referring to the Posts from Last Visit link - See This Thread Post

Marc

Leader
Atul Khandekar said:
I think this number looks inflated because even the 'spiders' are counted as guests. Well, right now there are 67 guests- most of them (60) are 'Inktomi spider', 'Ask Jeeves spider', & 'Alltheweb spider'.
Yeah - you can see all that being an administrator. It started Saturday. A search engine frenzy, it seems.

My original concern was it was 'stuck' at 45. I know last December it was at 98 or 99.

So - at least I know it's not stuck. Yes - it significantly inflates the numbers. I don't know why the search engines are so hot right now.

B

Bob_M

Bob_M said:

Marc,
To re-quote myself in response to your response,
Where did is the button/option to view all posts in the last 24 hours?

All I can find is the temporary icon botton (2nd from left) that work for posts since last visit.

Its not a big issue, just can't find it...

Also is there a Forum software "help" file built into the forums?
I normally don't need them, but I've been posting here (and other unrelated forums) more recently.

Marc

Leader
Bob_M said:
Marc,
To re-quote myself in response to your response,
Where did is the button/option to view all posts in the last 24 hours?

All I can find is the temporary icon botton (2nd from left) that work for posts since last visit.

Its not a big issue, just can't find it...

Also is there a Forum software "help" file built into the forums?
I normally don't need them, but I've been posting here (and other unrelated forums) more recently.
Click the picture and look at the circled button.

There is a help system. When you click the 'button' labeled "FAQ" (Frequently Asked Questions) just to the left of the "Posts - Last 24 Hours" button in the attached picture, you will be directed to a fair amount of 'How To' and 'What Does' info. It's not complete yet, but it's mostly complete and even has a little focused Search Engine of its own.

If you have any other specific question, that's what this forum is for. For a focus on your problem, Start a New Thread and I'll look into the problem or issue.

Attachments

• Last 24 hours.png
    Last 24 hours.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 228
B

Bob_M

Marc said:
Click the picture and look at the circled button.

There is a help system. When you click the 'button' labeled "FAQ" (Frequently Asked Questions just to the left of the "Posts - Last 24 Hours" button in the attached picture, you will be directed to a fair amount of 'How To' and 'What Does' info. It's not complete yet, but it's pretty good.

If you have any other specific question, that's what this forum is for. Start a new thread and I'll look into the problem or issue.

DOH!!! :bonk:
Thanks I totally overlooked the button in the top forum bar. (I use to click a different option before the software change).

Also I did not see you FIRST respose about the button.:ko:

Thanks for the great forum and I hope you keep up the great work!!!

Top Bottom