Tips/advice for a new Quality Manager

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
You are already off to a great start by joining this forum and engaging in the discussions. There is a ridiculous wealth of quality knowledge here, freely offered.

The one bit of advice I'll offer is ... learn to be a good listener. People will tell you what they need if you'll listen to them.

Congrats on the promotion.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
  • Make daily walks through the manufacturing areas talking with the operators and inspectors. You will learn more that way than you will ever learn from reports and dashboards.
  • Pick a root cause problem solving methodology (e.g., 8D, A3, etc.) and use it.
  • Always go to floor and see issues first hand
  • Trust data, not opinions
  • Suppliers respond faster when they share in your pain (note: I firmly believe in supplier partnerships, but sometimes you need to wake them up). I made an 80% reduction in supplier defects within 1 year once I made them come in-house to sort their product.
  • Get quality involved while products are still in the design phase
  • Talk to your sales people to find out what customers are complaining about

QCBOB

Quality Engineer
Good afternoon,

I am essentially piggy backing on this post instead of creating a new thread for the same question. I am currently a Quality Engineer at a small machine shop(25 people). I have just recently accepted the position of Quality Manager at a Laser Machine Shop that is a little bit bigger (approx. 50 people).

A little back story of myself. I am 34 years old and I have been doing manufacturing since I was 18 in various different roles with increasing responsibility throughout my career. I have worked from assembly positions, material handling, quality techs and inspector roles, document control, leadership, and now I am currently a QE and I am a Certified AS9100D Lead Auditor. I have very little post high school education (have taken some technical college courses, PLC's...Injection molding, those kinds of courses) and have learned majority of my skill set from experience.

In my current role there is nobody above me in quality at the site level, but I only have one inspector out on the floor. The new role I will be the Quality Manager for a team of 5-6 people(Quality Supervisor, Quality Lead, 2-3 Quality Techs, and a Training Coordinator). The company has been without a manager for a few months and has admitted to letting some things slide, which has now potentially placed their AS9100D certification into jeopardy.

I know my first task is going to be to asses the QMS and practices at the site and identify any gaps that there might be and try to close them before the next audit at the beginning of the year.
I guess I am just looking for advise as well and maybe some hints as to what I might experience. I know every company is different but asking cant hurt. Also, if there are any training videos or anything of that nature please share!

Thanks

Bobby

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I am a Certified AS9100D Lead Auditor
Don't want to rain on your parade, but are you listed in OASIS as an AEA? Having attended and passed a Lead Auditor Training Course does not mean you are a certified lead auditor. Many people misunderstand that.

The company has been without a manager for a few months and has admitted to letting some things slide, which has now potentially placed their AS9100D certification into jeopardy.
That's a typical red flag. Management let the quality function headless for a while until somebody mentions: We will have an external audit in a couple of months.....then the scramble to find someone who can "head" the quality and be "responsible" to make the audit go "smooth".

It should take no more than a couple of months for you to figure out if you are there to make the quality function respected and part of the business processes or just to ensure the organization "passes the audits". If it is the latter, you are in for a frustrating period.

Good luck.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Lots of good advice here. It is hard to know what to add. I can say that I prefer the ASQ Handbooks. Certified Manager of Quality covers many subjects that you would benefit from having an understanding of. In my view, the Handbooks make better reference books than the QCI Primers.

Oh, and being Quality Manager doesn't mean you have to have all the answers. It is more of a facilitator position. The people around you have the wealth of knowledge; invite them to be active in the team whose charter is customer delight. Celebrate as a group, learn as a group. And when things don't go well, share that as a group too.

I can offer these good courses I have taken.

Change Management by Kotter
Crucial Confrontations by Patterson and Grenny

Congratulations on your new role!

Randy

Super Moderator
Having attended and passed a Lead Auditor Training Course does not mean you are a certified lead auditor. Many people misunderstand that.
Yep, absolutely, I've heard that BS line a 100 times.

Don't go bragging what you ain't, it'll backfire big time

Having a title doesn't automatically grace you all power, all knowledge and all skill. When I received my A&P license from the FAA, and was technically qualified to work on anything from a hang glider to the space shuttle and more, my IA told me that all I had was a license to learn and I listened to him.

All the certifications and titles and the world don't mean diddly-poo unless they can be backed up by actually doing it.

Last edited:
Also I the position of "management letting things slide" except this has been ongoing for about a decade with permanent notes written in our system with wording like " informal deviation"

Anyone ever deal with something like this?
Good afternoon,

I am essentially piggy backing on this post instead of creating a new thread for the same question. I am currently a Quality Engineer at a small machine shop(25 people). I have just recently accepted the position of Quality Manager at a Laser Machine Shop that is a little bit bigger (approx. 50 people).

A little back story of myself. I am 34 years old and I have been doing manufacturing since I was 18 in various different roles with increasing responsibility throughout my career. I have worked from assembly positions, material handling, quality techs and inspector roles, document control, leadership, and now I am currently a QE and I am a Certified AS9100D Lead Auditor. I have very little post high school education (have taken some technical college courses, PLC's...Injection molding, those kinds of courses) and have learned majority of my skill set from experience.

In my current role there is nobody above me in quality at the site level, but I only have one inspector out on the floor. The new role I will be the Quality Manager for a team of 5-6 people(Quality Supervisor, Quality Lead, 2-3 Quality Techs, and a Training Coordinator). The company has been without a manager for a few months and has admitted to letting some things slide, which has now potentially placed their AS9100D certification into jeopardy.

I know my first task is going to be to asses the QMS and practices at the site and identify any gaps that there might be and try to close them before the next audit at the beginning of the year.
I guess I am just looking for advise as well and maybe some hints as to what I might experience. I know every company is different but asking cant hurt. Also, if there are any training videos or anything of that nature please share!

Thanks

Bobby

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Looking for advice, input, tips on taking the AATT AS9101F Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
L Advice and Tips for my first Managers Meeting Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
J ISO 9001:2008 company in administration then takeover - Tips and advice? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G First Time Internal Auditor - Advice and Tips, please Internal Auditing 91
A Warehouse Internal Audit - Seeking Tips and Advice Internal Auditing 17
E Mergers & Acquisitions tips: Is an acquisition likely after 510(k) clearance? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
G Seeking reference guides/ documentation /tips on verification best practices Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
A Technical documentation ce marking pippete tips CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
V Tips on taking the AATT exam AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Q AS 9120 exam Preparation Tips AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Tips and Tricks to understand ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Earthing of moving parts, designing tips IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Q Tips for Action Requests on Communication and Leadership ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z MDD ER 7.5, "phthalate test"? Aspiration tips EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
T Burn out - Tips to help combat QC burnout Career and Occupation Discussions 19
D First 510(k) Submission - Don't Forget Tips US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
E RAC EU preparation aids - Tips on how to prepare for RAC EU exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
K Tips for Auditee Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Tips for dealing with third party auditors General Auditing Discussions 11
D Tips in taking the AS9100D Test (2017) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Planning to appear for CQIA Examination - Tips and Suggestions ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
A Tentatively approaching a Certification Body - Any tips? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
Claes Gefvenberg Windows 8.1 - Pros & cons, hints & tips. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
E Commercial Laboratory Audit Tips ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Pipet tips of the same Lot Number have different expiration dates Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
F Tips, Guidelines and Checklist to conduct Audit of Supplier & Subcontractor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
K Tips 'n Tricks for getting a Job in the early 21st Century Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Y New Quality Manager looking for Tips and Quality Methodologies Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
E Problem Solving using PDCA/A3 - Tips & Exercise Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Q Tips on how to conduct a good Internal Audit Opening Meeting Internal Auditing 19
E Guidance/Tips to go Rx to OTC for Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
Wes Bucey Four "Power Tips" for your resume (and interview!) Career and Occupation Discussions 0
B Writing a Customer Survey......Any tips? Customer Complaints 13
B Any swimming tips before I dive into the pond? Real estate development business Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
K Technical quality interview questions, answers, and tips Career and Occupation Discussions 7
J Using purchased "Training Doc" (TQS) software - Tips/Tricks Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
B Medical Device (Life Support Ventilators) License Application for Canada - Any Tips? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
K Tips on answering the questions for Certified Manager for Software Testing (CMST)? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
I Looking for Ideas/Tips for Management Review Meeting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
E Lean Supply Chain! Looking for Recommendations, Tips and Resources Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
6 ISO 14001 - Registration (Certification) Audit Tips and Tricks ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 13
M RAPS RAC - Regulatory Affairs Certification Tips Professional Certifications and Degrees 46
M New to Six Sigma - Tips, Suggestions and recommendation of Good Books Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Q 5 Tips for ISO 9001 Certification Preparation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
AnaMariaVR2 Rapid Deployment Tips to Prepare for an Inspection Quickly (Article) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
E Tips on how to notify customers (and potential ones) of ISO Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8