SBS - The best value in QMS software

Tips and Tricks to understand ISO 9001

Hi All!!
I will preface this by saying I am totally new to the world of ISO 9001, etc... I come from the world of Strength and Conditioning so I am very much learning on the fly. I work for a small (9 employee) company that produces two products. I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to help me wrap my head around everything that is ISO 9001.

Thanks in advance!!

Adam

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
We need some more context to give a good answer. Is the company already ISO 9001 certified? What will be your responsibilities with respect to ISO 9001?

We need some more context to give a good answer. Is the company already ISO 9001 certified? What will be your responsibilities with respect to ISO 9001?

We are not yet certified so I am tasked with preparing us for our first audit in a few months time. And essentially, I am in charge of making sure we are ISO compliant in regards to 9001. We are already 13485 compliant for another product that we make. But just trying to grasp all that is ISO at the moment.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
There's plenty of overlap between ISO 13485:2016 and ISO 9001:2015. The biggest difference is that ISO 13485:2016 chose to NOT follow the common high-level structure (Annex SL). 13485 focuses "risk based thinking" at the product level (risk to patients, users, etc.). 9001 risk-based thinking is more business-based (with all the context of the organization and risks and opportunities stuff). Many of the 'fundamentals' (quality policy / objectives, document control, etc.) are pretty common. 9001 doesn't require (but doesn't prohibit) a quality manual. 9001 eliminated "preventive actions' (from CAPA). The management review in 9001 is a bit broader.

Bottom line is that there are substantial differences. No doubt the resources @Mike S. cited will be helpful but at least you have a pretty high jumping off point.

P.S. The whole "context of the organization" and "risks and opportunities" stuff challenged a lot of companies just transitioning to 9001:2015. I'm sure a good search of the archives here would be quite helpful in seeing what other folks did.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I am wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to help me wrap my head around everything that is ISO 9001.
I understand that that you had no malice when you asked the question, but, EXACTLY BECAUSE ISO 9001 has been trivialized, dumbed-down and commoditized, it has lost it's value for the most part. An example of a "trick" that inflicted enormous disservice to quality practitioners was the idea that ISO 9001 is nothing more than DO-WHAT-YOU-SAY-SAY-WHAT-YOU-DO.

ISO 9001 only brings value with a bespoke implementation and profound knowledge. Short of that, you have a façade.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Unless I am understanding you wrong, I disagree with that premise, Sidney. My understanding is that the OP is trying to better understand ISO9001. Been there, done that, still get confused myself sometimes. The average person (or even above-average person) can read ISO9001 and still be confused and unsure about the meaning and intent - heck this forum is built largely to help those kinda people!

Lots of books are written on the subject, lots of training sold. Even the "experienced" and "experts" on here often debate and disagree on its content and meaning. If it has been so dumbed-down, why all the questions and confusion?

Einstein once said "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." I think that by and large standards writers have failed to create adequately simplified standards, either via ignorance and inability or intentionally.

Tagin

In addition to TS9002:2016, I also found it helpful to visualize how the clauses of 9001:2015 are arranged in PDCA sequence. Attached are some examples of such images that I found. Note that clause 7 is sometimes considered as PLAN, and sometimes as DO. In any case, it helped to orient me in comprehending the overall flow, intent and relationships among the clauses.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Tips 'n Tricks for getting a Job in the early 21st Century Career and Occupation Discussions 1
J Using purchased "Training Doc" (TQS) software - Tips/Tricks Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
6 ISO 14001 - Registration (Certification) Audit Tips and Tricks ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 13
SteelMaiden SharePoint 2007 - tips, tricks or tools? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Wes Bucey The Job Hunt - Tips & Tricks & Traps Career and Occupation Discussions 13
V Tips on taking the AATT exam AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Q AS 9120 exam Preparation Tips AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Earthing of moving parts, designing tips IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Q Tips for Action Requests on Communication and Leadership ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z MDD ER 7.5, "phthalate test"? Aspiration tips EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
T Burn out - Tips to help combat QC burnout Career and Occupation Discussions 9
D First 510(k) Submission - Don't Forget Tips US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
E RAC EU preparation aids - Tips on how to prepare for RAC EU exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
K Tips for Auditee Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Tips for dealing with third party auditors General Auditing Discussions 11
H Looking for advice, input, tips on taking the AATT AS9101F Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Tips in taking the AS9100D Test (2017) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Planning to appear for CQIA Examination - Tips and Suggestions ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
A Tentatively approaching a Certification Body - Any tips? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
Claes Gefvenberg Windows 8.1 - Pros & cons, hints & tips. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
E Commercial Laboratory Audit Tips ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Pipet tips of the same Lot Number have different expiration dates Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
F Tips, Guidelines and Checklist to conduct Audit of Supplier & Subcontractor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L Advice and Tips for my first Managers Meeting Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
Y New Quality Manager looking for Tips and Quality Methodologies Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
E Problem Solving using PDCA/A3 - Tips & Exercise Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Q Tips on how to conduct a good Internal Audit Opening Meeting Internal Auditing 19
E Guidance/Tips to go Rx to OTC for Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
Wes Bucey Four "Power Tips" for your resume (and interview!) Career and Occupation Discussions 0
B Writing a Customer Survey......Any tips? Customer Complaints 13
B Any swimming tips before I dive into the pond? Real estate development business Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
K Technical quality interview questions, answers, and tips Career and Occupation Discussions 7
J ISO 9001:2008 company in administration then takeover - Tips and advice? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Medical Device (Life Support Ventilators) License Application for Canada - Any Tips? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
K Tips on answering the questions for Certified Manager for Software Testing (CMST)? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
I Looking for Ideas/Tips for Management Review Meeting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
E Lean Supply Chain! Looking for Recommendations, Tips and Resources Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
M RAPS RAC - Regulatory Affairs Certification Tips Professional Certifications and Degrees 46
M New to Six Sigma - Tips, Suggestions and recommendation of Good Books Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Q 5 Tips for ISO 9001 Certification Preparation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
AnaMariaVR2 Rapid Deployment Tips to Prepare for an Inspection Quickly (Article) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
E Tips on how to notify customers (and potential ones) of ISO Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G First Time Internal Auditor - Advice and Tips, please Internal Auditing 91
Y Tips for a first Process Audit on the QMS system at a new company Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
S Awareness Tips & Quotes for Quality Management System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
N Any tips on how to improve a CA (Corrective Action) system? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9