Tips for JUMP STARTING Job/Career Search?

B

Bob_M

I see there are several good (and long) topics here for job searching and applying. I will read them as soon as I can!

However, anyone have any "hit the ground running tips" for those that don't have the luxury of job hunting and soul searching for 6+ months?

Obviously get your resume up to date.

Beyond that are there any good job sites that are actually worth it? (Monster seems to be a joke as one example).

------------

This would probably be easier if I actually knew what type of job/career I'd like to do next.

Short term if my company closes I'm sure I'll find some job to pay the bills, but I need to get my butt in gear to find a real job/career.

I have BS in Mechanical Engineer and been Quality Manager for small manufacturing company for 6 years - 13 years employment - w/o any additional professional training/titles. Obviously with such a generic education and job experience I could get a professional job just about anywhere, assuming they value Real World experience over titles/training.

-----------

So assuming I figure out what I'd like to do long term, anyone have some short term suggestion on where to look for a job/career? (Local papers and Monster are rather laughable :lmao::bonk:).

[Hopefully the main suggestions are not NETWORKING].

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

errhine

Involved - Posts
I would look at Indeed.com, join Linkedin and use their jobsite, make contact with some of the headhunters on Linkedin, and look at the ASQ job boards (both the main site and whatever local sites fir the areas that you would like to work).

I think the best way to a new job however is to network...:cool:

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
Are you a member of ASQ, Bob? This might be a good place to start. Have you considered taking one of the certification exams that they offer? This might also be a good way to improve your situation. Many employers prefer candidtates (and some insist!) who possess at least one certification, for example, Certified Quality Engineer (CQE), Certified Quality Auditor (CQA), etc.

Even if you aren't a member of ASQ, you can still browse their listing of jobs and take certification exams.

I hope this helps. :bigwave:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
CareerBuilder is a good start. Indeed as mentioned uses all of the Job Boards. Just be prepared, that it may take 6 months or more to find a position.

What type of position are you looking for?

B

Bob_M

Thanks for the specific site tips. Briefly checked ASQ site today.

I've never taken any of those tests. Company was/is cheap and I've been lazy/cheap. (Quality was never my "chosen" field and didn't expect to be in it this long to be honest).

I could handle another job in Quality. I don't think I'd want to be the top guy anymore and most companies what the titles/certs anyways.

Other than quality, I'm open to new ideas but have no specific training/titles/certs in anything.

I'd enjoy something in the IT field but have no formal training other than love of computers. Never really used my Mechanical Engineering education, so strick "engineering" probably not the best idea. Who knows, that is part of my dilema. The rest is procrastination. /facepalm

Looking back, I'm still in shock that I been here 13 years and done Quality/Product Engineering most of that time. (I started out as a temp laborer shortly after college if you can believe that).

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
Have you considered completing a career path profile or something similar that helps you identify the fields/positions you are best suited for?

Or maybe it wouldn't hurt to talk to a career counselor at a local college or career fair....? Just another thought...

K

Kevin H

Some other possibilities in metals related fields include wwww.iss.org (Iron & Steel Society, not just for metallurgists) and American Society for Metals - same situation - openins for other jobs listed, not just metallurgists and neither 1 requires membership to view the job listings. Another option is your alma mater - many offer job hunting help to their alumni. Also, don't forget Richard Bolles and his annual books - "What Color is your Parachute". His web site for job hunters is: www.jobhuntersbible.com - lots of good info and tips in the books and on the web site.

Big things to ponder include where you'd like to live and work. Are the activities/hobbies you enjoy available in that locale, if not you'll be miserable unless you start some new ones.

Hopefully, you have a bit of time - trying to get out ahead of the wolf at the door can cause one to make less than optimal choices that you may regret later. Of course, it's also no fun picking up an unemployment check and hoping you'll find a decent job before you run out of cash.

If you want to change fields, try to evaluate what credentials are needed, & how you could acquire them quickly and inexpensively. Adding ASQ credentials seemed to help during my last job hunt. Of couse being 30 something ratehr than 50 something would probably have helped a bit too.

Finally, don't forget to read the long threads in the job hunting forum on this site. Best of luck - in the best of times a job hunt is not fun

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Sometimes, just sometimes, the fable of the tortoise and the hare has a point - "slow and steady wins the race."

You may not feel you have the time to read through four long and often meandering threads, but, on the other hand, you've spent 13 years in "idle" - isn't it time to at least get into first gear before shifting to fifth?

Why not reconsider?
Thinking about a New Job for New Year?
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=19619
Resume and cover letter - How good are yours?
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=10169
The Job Hunt - Care and feeding of references
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=19094
Tips to get past the "gatekeeper" when job hunting
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=9325

B

Bob_M

Sometimes, just sometimes, the fable of the tortoise and the hare has a point - "slow and steady wins the race."

You may not feel you have the time to read through four long and often meandering threads, but, on the other hand, you've spent 13 years in "idle" - isn't it time to at least get into first gear before shifting to fifth?
I suppose "idle" would be an accurate term. :frust:

:nopity:I was not very good at the job hunting fresh out of college and don't look forward to it at 35. Oh well, hopefully I get into gear ASAP!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Technical documentation ce marking pippete tips CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
V Tips on taking the AATT exam AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Q AS 9120 exam Preparation Tips AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Tips and Tricks to understand ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Earthing of moving parts, designing tips IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Q Tips for Action Requests on Communication and Leadership ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z MDD ER 7.5, "phthalate test"? Aspiration tips EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
T Burn out - Tips to help combat QC burnout Career and Occupation Discussions 19
D First 510(k) Submission - Don't Forget Tips US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
E RAC EU preparation aids - Tips on how to prepare for RAC EU exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
K Tips for Auditee Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Tips for dealing with third party auditors General Auditing Discussions 11
H Looking for advice, input, tips on taking the AATT AS9101F Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Tips in taking the AS9100D Test (2017) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Planning to appear for CQIA Examination - Tips and Suggestions ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
A Tentatively approaching a Certification Body - Any tips? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
Claes Gefvenberg Windows 8.1 - Pros & cons, hints & tips. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
E Commercial Laboratory Audit Tips ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Pipet tips of the same Lot Number have different expiration dates Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
F Tips, Guidelines and Checklist to conduct Audit of Supplier & Subcontractor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L Advice and Tips for my first Managers Meeting Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
K Tips 'n Tricks for getting a Job in the early 21st Century Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Y New Quality Manager looking for Tips and Quality Methodologies Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
E Problem Solving using PDCA/A3 - Tips & Exercise Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Q Tips on how to conduct a good Internal Audit Opening Meeting Internal Auditing 19
E Guidance/Tips to go Rx to OTC for Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
Wes Bucey Four "Power Tips" for your resume (and interview!) Career and Occupation Discussions 0
B Writing a Customer Survey......Any tips? Customer Complaints 13
B Any swimming tips before I dive into the pond? Real estate development business Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
K Technical quality interview questions, answers, and tips Career and Occupation Discussions 7
J Using purchased "Training Doc" (TQS) software - Tips/Tricks Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
J ISO 9001:2008 company in administration then takeover - Tips and advice? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Medical Device (Life Support Ventilators) License Application for Canada - Any Tips? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
K Tips on answering the questions for Certified Manager for Software Testing (CMST)? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
I Looking for Ideas/Tips for Management Review Meeting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
E Lean Supply Chain! Looking for Recommendations, Tips and Resources Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
6 ISO 14001 - Registration (Certification) Audit Tips and Tricks ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 13
M RAPS RAC - Regulatory Affairs Certification Tips Professional Certifications and Degrees 46
M New to Six Sigma - Tips, Suggestions and recommendation of Good Books Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Q 5 Tips for ISO 9001 Certification Preparation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
AnaMariaVR2 Rapid Deployment Tips to Prepare for an Inspection Quickly (Article) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
E Tips on how to notify customers (and potential ones) of ISO Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G First Time Internal Auditor - Advice and Tips, please Internal Auditing 91
Y Tips for a first Process Audit on the QMS system at a new company Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
S Awareness Tips & Quotes for Quality Management System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
N Any tips on how to improve a CA (Corrective Action) system? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9