Tips on Stat. Techniques in Bulk Material Process?Reduction of alumina to Aluminium

Our company recently obtained QS9000 certification. Our registration company cited statistical techinques (lack of them)as a weakness in our system. Any tips for applying statitics to a bulk process such as the reduction of alumina to aluminum?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Don Winton

Our company recently obtained QS9000 certification. Our registration company cited statistical techinques (lack of them)as a weakness in our system.
Typical. To see the lack of a tool as a weakness without understanding the process is absurd. For example, to drive a nail, I need a hammer. I have many types to choose from, so I select the best tool for the job. But, I digress.

Under the assumption that the statistical techniques you wish to add to your system add value, consider this.

All processes must have inputs (flow rates, rates per hour, pressure, etc). You could start with your inputs and apply statistical techniques there. I would not begin to assume to assign a particular technique without knowing more.

All process must have outputs (weights, content purity, etc). These can also be assigned a statistical technique that adds value.

Start with inputs to the process. Identify Key Input Variables (KIV) and determine which have a direct affect on your Key Output Variables (KOV) (an Ishikawa or affinity diagram works nice for this).

Next, determine which statistical technique is applicable to the particular KIV. For example, if pressure is determined to be a KIV, you could monitor that with an X-MR chart by measuring the pressure once per hour. You could monitor pressure by a subgroup of four readings every 15 minutes (or every four hours, if applicable), calculate Xbar and range and use the typical Xbar-R chart.

Once the KIVs are determined and brought under control, do the same thing with the KOVs.

BTW, being a bulk processor, I would wager you are already using a statistical technique: sampling. But, I could be wrong.

Regards,
Don

------------------
Just the ramblings of an Old Wizard Warrior.

Check Out dWizard's Lair:
www.ficom.net/members/donwinton/home.html

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Earthing of moving parts, designing tips IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
Q Tips for Action Requests on Communication and Leadership ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Z MDD ER 7.5, "phthalate test"? Aspiration tips EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
T Burn out - Tips to help combat QC burnout Career and Occupation Discussions 9
D First 510(k) Submission - Don't Forget Tips US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
H Looking for Tips on finding an IATF consultant Consultants and Consulting 6
E RAC EU preparation aids - Tips on how to prepare for RAC EU exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
K Tips for Auditee Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Tips for dealing with third party auditors General Auditing Discussions 11
H Looking for advice, input, tips on taking the AATT AS9101F Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Tips in taking the AS9100D Test (2017) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Planning to appear for CQIA Examination - Tips and Suggestions ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
A Tentatively approaching a Certification Body - Any tips? Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
Claes Gefvenberg Windows 8.1 - Pros & cons, hints & tips. After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
E Commercial Laboratory Audit Tips ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Pipet tips of the same Lot Number have different expiration dates Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
F Tips, Guidelines and Checklist to conduct Audit of Supplier & Subcontractor Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
L Advice and Tips for my first Managers Meeting Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
K Tips 'n Tricks for getting a Job in the early 21st Century Career and Occupation Discussions 1
Y New Quality Manager looking for Tips and Quality Methodologies Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
E Problem Solving using PDCA/A3 - Tips & Exercise Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
Q Tips on how to conduct a good Internal Audit Opening Meeting Internal Auditing 19
E Guidance/Tips to go Rx to OTC for Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
Wes Bucey Four "Power Tips" for your resume (and interview!) Career and Occupation Discussions 0
B Writing a Customer Survey......Any tips? Customer Complaints 13
B Any swimming tips before I dive into the pond? Real estate development business Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
K Technical quality interview questions, answers, and tips Career and Occupation Discussions 7
J Using purchased "Training Doc" (TQS) software - Tips/Tricks Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
J ISO 9001:2008 company in administration then takeover - Tips and advice? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Medical Device (Life Support Ventilators) License Application for Canada - Any Tips? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
K Tips on answering the questions for Certified Manager for Software Testing (CMST)? Career and Occupation Discussions 15
I Looking for Ideas/Tips for Management Review Meeting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
E Lean Supply Chain! Looking for Recommendations, Tips and Resources Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
6 ISO 14001 - Registration (Certification) Audit Tips and Tricks ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 13
M RAPS RAC - Regulatory Affairs Certification Tips Professional Certifications and Degrees 46
M New to Six Sigma - Tips, Suggestions and recommendation of Good Books Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Q 5 Tips for ISO 9001 Certification Preparation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
AnaMariaVR2 Rapid Deployment Tips to Prepare for an Inspection Quickly (Article) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
E Tips on how to notify customers (and potential ones) of ISO Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G First Time Internal Auditor - Advice and Tips, please Internal Auditing 91
Y Tips for a first Process Audit on the QMS system at a new company Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 5
S Awareness Tips & Quotes for Quality Management System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
N Any tips on how to improve a CA (Corrective Action) system? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
K House rules and discipline style: Tips on balancing life, work, and family Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
BradM Child safety/ Self Defense/ Security-tips and such Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 18
B New Job and I could use any pointers or tips on 2007/47/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 16
S CQM/OE Certification - May 2010 - Exam preparation tips and actual exam experience Professional Certifications and Degrees 6