TMV - Selection of TM's for Validation

Hi all,

I am new to Test method Validation in Medical Device industry>

1. Does anyone know how to select test methods for TMV.
2. I have been reading about Variability and Attributes methods. Is there a checklist or set of questions which would make it easier to find test methods which would require Validation?? I know that not all test methods needs to be validated.
3. Say for example, a test method have steps involved to measure the final voltage output. What if its measured using a custom tool which is calibrated. Do we still have to validate considering there wont be any variability when we use a calibrated gage ??
4. In that case, does it mean a test method need not be validated if the testing equipment are calibrated?? I know these could be dumb questions but wanted to understand the TMV process.

Thanks in advance,
Bala

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

levatorsuperioris

Involved In Discussions
1,2 its no different from TMV in any industry, all test methods require Ver or Validation. Only exceptions are test methods written in standards.
3 - yes you need to validation
4 see 3.

Only difference is the level is based on risk per 14971.

Seeing your thought processes - you may want to take a step back and or get some help, you are making a lot of assumptions that typically end with very expensive results.

levatorsuperioris

Involved In Discussions
TMV and MSA is a fairly extensive topic - but please keep in mind alot of what you are typing would flash danger signs in seasoned QMS people.

TMV is 1) measurement tool x part x user performign the measurement. Calibration would at *best cover 1. Gage R&R alone does nto cover MSA, you need also gage qualification as well. The same rules 10x Resolution, etc all apply.

levatorsuperioris

Involved In Discussions
Think of MSA as documentation that 1) You have an correct tool to do the measurement (including calibration, resolution, installation), 2) The tool works for measuring the part (Accuracy), 3) Operators can consistently measure the part (Precision). All these activities are done proportional with the risk of what is being measured.

Tidge

Quite Involved in Discussions
I'll speak to two elements of the original post:

2. I have been reading about Variability and Attributes methods. Is there a checklist or set of questions which would make it easier to find test methods which would require Validation?? I know that not all test methods needs to be validated.
As a rookie, I do not recommend focusing on a choice between "variability" or "attribute" at this point in the learning process. The choice between the two is more appropriate for study designs... the choice of which will be used to establish the effectiveness/suitability/success of a test method. It is best to identify what it is you actually care about, and then you will know what kind of study will be appropriate for establishing if a proposed method is valid (or not).

This is just my experience: If a person is first researching the topic of Variable v. Attribute studies because one of the two choices is requiring "too many" samples, it is almost certain that such a person hasn't thought through their actual needs. Full disclosure: this is based on analysis of historical data and no actual study was performed! The forum crew can give better examples, but a simple explanation of the difference is this: an attribute measurement will show the result in one of several specified 'buckets', a variable measurement will show the result on a continuous spectrum. The choice of attribute v. Variable measurements has consequences for the 'state of knowledge' of any given measurement. But I digress.

3. Say for example, a test method have steps involved to measure the final voltage output. What if its measured using a custom tool which is calibrated. Do we still have to validate considering there wont be any variability when we use a calibrated gage ??
I think there are a few issues in this question which can confuse things. The first element of confusion is the nature of the 'custom tool'. If the custom tool relies on an accepted methodology, then "validation" of the method is not necessary (1). Many test methods have already been validated.

No matter what the tool is used in a method, the tool must be initially qualified and routinely verified to be appropriate to be used in the method. This is the purpose of a robust calibration program. Most 'off-the-shelf' measurement tools will be purchased with expected ranges, precisions and accuracies and can be subjected to (established, see above) calibration methodologies. Many 'custom tools' will require such things to be established before they can be subject to a robust calibration program. I think the original post isn't clear enough is this is the nature of the 'custom tool.'

I think the original post also confuses the concept of 'variability'. Variability in measurements is not eliminated by using calibrated equipment.

(1) Mileage varies when it comes to the question of 'what is an accepted methodology', so I will offer a couple of general examples before circling back to the question of voltage measurements. Some examples of things that I would consider accepted methodologies for specific types of measurements:
  1. Using a evenly marked linear scale to measure linear distances; this is an example of the method being evident from first principles. It doesn't mean that there isn't a published ASTM standard for this, but everyone should accept that it is appropriate to use a ruled straight edge to measure straight lengths.
  2. Using a published test method (preferably one subject to a committee of experts) specific to the measurement in question. Standard organizations (e.g. ASTM, UL) will have methods that have already been established as valid (for the scope of the method).
Specific to the subject of 'voltage measurement', if the 'custom tool' relies on something that is (essentially) first principles you are not obligated to validate the method that using something akin to a voltage divider (or a circuit with a reference diode and/or a n 8-bit A/D converter or, or, or) is appropriate for measuring voltage. You are however obligated to demonstrate the accuracy, precision, stability, etc. of the tool.

Some more general experience of mine: If the explanation of the method doesn't pass a 'red-faced test', the proponent of the method will get into trouble. If a tool (or other materials or environments) used in a test method are not suitably qualified (including calibrations for the tools) the proponent will get into trouble.[/QUOTE]

chris1price

Trusted Information Resource
Ensuring the equipment is calibrated is just the first step in method validation. Calibration is usually performed under closely controlled conditions. TMV is looking at the repeatability and reproducibility in the real world, where operators, production lines, etc are employed.

Differentiating between attribute and variable is straightforward; attribute is pass-fail, yes-no, go-nogo; variables delivers a number.

My advise would be to walk through your specifications, processes and procedures looking for any test that could effect the release of product, you should focus on first. Then move to incoming materials which require acceptance activities.

A final piece of advise, get a copy of the AAIG MSA guidance, this is the best source of guidance I have seen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Mentor for Test Method Validation (TMV) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
S Cannot create Rejects for TMV on a medical instrument with an LCD Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 10
B AS9100 8.4.1 Supplier Selection/Evaluation criteria and reevaluations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J IATF 16949 8.4.1.2 Supplier selection process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Supplier selection criteria - Medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
O Selection of a calibrator (pressure generator, temperature) for my field devices General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Material selection - How do we select a raw material? Bolt made of SAE J994 grade 2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
R Process Validation sample size selection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 Supplier Selection Process - assessment example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
johnny johnson New measuring equipment selection (Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
R Non-normal Distribution Selection where the system is constantly being corrected Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
a_bardi Excluding ISO9001 Cl. 8.4 - Supplier Selection and Evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Standard Deviation Selection on Control Charts - Minitab "pooled deviation" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
N ISO 13485:2016 - Supplier Selection Criteria ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B IATF 16949 Clause 8.4.1.2 - Supplier Selection Process - Service Providers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
C MSA (Measurement System Analysis) - Instrument Selection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C MSA (Measurement System Analysis) - Dimension Selection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
W Supplier Selection Criteria Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
S Anyone know the self-selection study for home use medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
WEAVER Gage R&R Sample Selection - Can we include NG Samples? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
kedarg6500 Selection of proper modifying agent for Aluminium Silicon Alloy Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Validation Sample Sizes and Selection: An Example Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
Marc Using Facebook for Job Candidate Selection Criteria Career and Occupation Discussions 9
I Supplier Selection based on Total Cost question Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
V Selection of Design - 8 Factors, almost sure about Target Levels Using Minitab Software 8
K Material Selection for Orthopedic Knee Implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
F Pressure Regulator Testing and Selection Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R Pressure Test Dial Gage Selection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
E Risk Management selection Probability of Occurrence and Severity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 17
N Internal Auditor Selection (Outsourced Internal Audits) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Wes Bucey Darwinian selection Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
L Supplier Selection and Evaluation - Raw Material Manufacturer vs. Distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Selection of Standard for Scope of "Trading and Distribution of Aerospace Parts" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J API Q1 7.4.1.2 Supplier Selection Supplemental Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
K Our selection evaluation procedure Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
A Sample Size Selection for Peel Strength for Variable Data using a 95%/99% Confidence Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
L Selection Requirements for Non-Manufacturer Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
G Control Chart Selection for Crimping Operations for RJ 45 Plugs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Sample Selection for a Gage R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
B SPC Software Selection for use in a CNC Machine Shop - InfinityQS and Lighthouse Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
V Criteria and Rationale for Selection of Risk Management Tool ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A Purchasing Verification & Supplier Selection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
T Cl 7.4 Purchasing - Selection of Suppliers determined by Parent Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H ISO 13485 Sec 7.4 - Supplier Selection, Evaluation and Re-evaluation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
K Selection Criteria for choosing a Management Representative for QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
E Selection of a project for Internal Auditing Internal Auditing 8
E Selection of study program in Europe - Need keywords to speciality or advice Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
N PCB (medical device) Surface Finish Selection. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
arios Selection and Control over Distributors of Components for Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3