To Control or Not to Control - Answer Keys to Tests

P

pittmanl

To control or not to control

The company I work for currently uses tests to certify Testers, QC Inspectors, Solderers, etc. We control the tests, but the answer keys are not controlled. I believe the tests and answer keys are two halves of the whole. Therefore, clearly, the answer keys should be controlled. I am meeting with resistance on this issue. There is a concern that we're controlling too many documents. A recent quote is, "Where does it stop!" We're also undergoing a reengineering of our Quality Systems, so I think these people are clinging to the status quo. Any thoughts, suggestions, alternate viewpoints, etc. are appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

Laura M

Same question, different example.

I remember from my original ISO training...way back....the example of the "Machinist's Handbook" if referenced by any employees, is required to be a controlled document. This would require an annual investment by a machine shop employee, or the company themselves. I recently rationalized that if the company procedures or job instructions reference the document, then it is up to the company to provide an updated version to the section of the document. If it doesn't change in the new rev, then the old book is OK. And if employees use as a guide, but not instruction, then an old copy is OK as well.

Has anyone out there experienced an auditor citing a non conformance for this type of document? I liken it to my Juran Quality Control Handbook. I'm not about to buy a new one every time a new version comes out.

Comments?

J

Jim Biz

Had the same discussion with our auditor about a year ago ... Didn't actually write it up officially but his opinion was that they were "external specifications" (Juran handbook included.

Long story shortened - added a master list of publically accuired industry standard information to the system. Who had what edition of a machinist handbook - who had what edition of a Juran handbook - who had what steel mill "available size" catalog etc.

Reality .. this small issue fortified upper managements already poor opinion of the actual value of external auditing & the ISO system thing in general.

As I recall the words used were something like *B*S* - that just proves this whole thing is expensive time wasting *B*S* (I'm not sure they're over it yet : :) )

Regards
Jim

L

Laura M

So having a list with the rev that existed was sufficient...not obtaining the latest revision? That doesn't sound right. That falls under the "just do it" to make the auditor happy. Easier to add to list than argue the practicality of it all!

At the most I was thinking one current rev on site or the list of changes that comes with the rev for folks to reference to ensure they had up to date information.

My Juran Handbook will stay at home :)

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I have avoided this by ensuring my clients are quick to tell the auditor that no decisions are based upon these documents. They are general reference books mostly used to check on basic standards and such (such as threads per inch for a certain screw) which rarely if ever change. As long as no one is making 'important' decisions based upon contents the book it is not subject to control nor is it necessary for everyone to get a new copy every time the book is revised.

> Long story shortened - added a master list of publically accuired industry
> standard information to the system. Who had what edition of a machinist
> handbook - who had what edition of a Juran handbook - who had what steel mill
> "available size" catalog etc.
>
> Reality .. this small issue fortified upper managements already poor opinion
> of the actual value of external auditing & the ISO system thing in general.

I agree with them. Controlling a Juran or Machinists Handbook is down right stupid. At best I would have 1 'Master' copy the company buys in the appropriate departmental 'library' where folks can go to check if information they are checking in their book is the same as is in the 'latest' revision.

Auditor interpretations continue to make inroads into the trivial as ISO 9001 evolves. The new version may prove to be more of a challange than many of us now realize due to interpretations alone.

> Easier to add to list than argue the practicality of it all!

The question is, when do you stop? A bunch of those 'easier to do it's' over a couple of years adds up to non-value added complexity - they become an expense. I have been in companies which were registered in the early 1990's where things were out of hand - totally out of hand -- and it was because every time the auditor had a 'good idea' they went ahead and 'did it so the auditor would be happy'. So every new auditor had a new 'this would be a good idea' and after 6 years or so it was a mess.

At most, for Machinists Handbooks, I would put in the document control procedure a statement which categorizes them such as: "Machinists handbooks and Juran handbooks are not used for decision making purposes, but rather are used for reference and as such are not controlled."

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
> If a designer is using it to determine a tolerance or class of thread fit,...

That's why I stated above:

> At most, for Machinists Handbooks, I would put in the document control
> procedure a statement which categorizes them such as: "Machinists handbooks
> and Juran handbooks are not used for decision making purposes, but rather are
> used for reference and as such are not controlled."

If you use it for decision making purposes such as during design, that's another story. ANSI specs are also looked at critically by auditors as to their use as well. Much as live threads per inch or such in a Machinists handbook, most ANSI specs (such as a steel spec) are static.

The key is being ready to explain what you use, why its appropriate, whether it is revision sensitive and what you use it for. The key point is whether you use it for decision making purposes.

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 16 January 2001).]

A

Alf Gulford

Agreed. The correct pitch diameter for a 1/2-13 thread isn't going to change, no matter what date the Machinery Handbook is printed. And so what if it did? What counts is whether or not the part being machined meets the print specifications - and those are controlled.

By their nature and usage, these types of publications are Reference Only and it's hard to believe that anyone would even question that.

On second thought (hence the edit notation), what we're saying is only true of Machinery Handbooks that the machinists themselves are using. If a designer is using it to determine a tolerance or class of thread fit, or how much interference is needed for a press fit, then I guess we're talking about a publication that needs to be controlled.

[This message has been edited by Alf Gulford (edited 16 January 2001).]

J

John C

If a document, internal or external, is required by the QMS then it has to be controlled. '2000 4.2.3.
If it is 'required', it will be referenced in your documentation somewhere and, if it isn't referenced, then it cannot be part of the quality system.
However, there are many documents which are truely part of the quality system since they are regularly used to help make decisions, yet are general and their use is unpredictable and uncontrollable. If these are not referenced in your documented system, then that contravenes the rule that I stated above. But it is a good rule.
Here's my suggestion;
Option 1, Deny use and don't be drawn. But be aware that you might well be drawn to admit use, for example, if you do use Juran to help make decisions or upgrade your suitability for the job (and what other reason could there be for using it in working hours?), then you might find it hard to avoid being drawn into admitting that it is there for some relevant purpose.
Option 2, particularly for technical catelogues, manuals, etc, which are obviously used, call on 9001'2000 4.2.1 Note 2 c), The compentence of personnel; 'The personnel concerned are professionals, chosen for the job because they have the responsibility, experience and skills necessary to be able to make best choice and use of the available external information'.
rgds, John C

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Audit Nonconformance - Not following Control Plan - How to answer Request for CA? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
K Contamination Control - Class Is medical devices (Clause 6.4.2 ISO 13485:2016 (E)) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
J 510(k) for a control kit for an external IVD test kit 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Assessing Hazard-Related Use Scenarios where control measures exist through standards IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 14
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
T Design Control Procedures later in the Development Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L AS5553 Clause 3.1.7 e "Control packaging material ..................reused" AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
K Process Mapping - Inputs/Outputs/Detail Activities/Control points/Measurement? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Q Relabeler for patent expired product - design control responsibilities? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
J How to make Quality Control plans Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
I Document Control on Log Files ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
C Document Control Stamps - Does anyone still stamp their documents? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
D Supplied Product on Control Plan - Lot ranging in 40,000 pcs per product FMEA and Control Plans 3
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
J Antiviral Mask or Mask to Mitigate or Control Corona Virus Manufacturing and Related Processes 21
A UDI and Design Controls - Labeling change via the Design Control process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
I Control of Documentation Distribution - Document Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Inventory Control - Any thoughts would be appreciated ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
T Control of downloaded document copies by employees Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Document control ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Is there any pre-defined Control plan format/template acc. VDA? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
B Record Management - Does the QMS need to control templates of records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
O Inventory control ideas - I have an open stock room with a "sign out" book Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
V IATF 16949 8.4.1 Control of externally provided processes, products and services - Should the CB be on our Approved Supplier List? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
R Process control documents - Context of API Spec Q1, Clause 5.7.1.3 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
D Performance specification as a Risk Control Measure, EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
L Form-dependent position prevention control FMEA and Control Plans 1
S CQI-23 - Molding System Assessment - Control of part weight IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D Change Control - Product Name Change and its associated labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Degree of control of distributors - PMS EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M What is "setup control chart"? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Jimmy123 What is the difference between Error Proofing and Controls? ISO/IATF 16949 - Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 16
V IS/ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Clause 7, sub clause 7.11 Control of data and information management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
C Design Control - Ways of capturing inputs from manufacturing Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
G Control Plan - Include the processes for each sub component? APQP and PPAP 2
U Change Management vs Change Control? Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
F Control of medical device IFU content Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
R Software change control process and defect tracking ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Medical Device Design Control Auditor Recommentations General Auditing Discussions 19
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0