To gage or not to gage...that is the question!

Brad Gover

Involved In Discussions
Hi all! :bigwave: I have a question on picking an instrument for a study. On of the requirements of the study is to measure airflow given a supply pressure of 3 inH2O (inch columns of water). The instrument I have (Dwyer Series 476A) specifies its Accuracy to be +/- 1.5% full scale. The scale reads from -20 to 20" w.c. (meaning inches of water column). The question I have is validating the required pressure of 3. Using this gage if I get a reading of 3, my uncertainty is between 2.4 and 3.6. There is no tolerance associated with the specified value of 3. In this case would the "rule of Tens" apply? If so, then this gage would not be accurate enough. Are there other ways of assessing the validity of this gage?

Really appriciate the feedback!
Brad:agree1:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dgriffith

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi all! :bigwave: I have a question on picking an instrument for a study. On of the requirements of the study is to measure airflow given a supply pressure of 3 inH2O (inch columns of water). The instrument I have (Dwyer Series 476A) specifies its Accuracy to be +/- 1.5% full scale. The scale reads from -20 to 20" w.c. (meaning inches of water column). The question I have is validating the required pressure of 3. Using this gage if I get a reading of 3, my uncertainty is between 2.4 and 3.6. There is no tolerance associated with the specified value of 3. In this case would the "rule of Tens" apply? If so, then this gage would not be accurate enough. Are there other ways of assessing the validity of this gage?

Really appriciate the feedback!
Brad:agree1:
Check with the manufacturer of the gauge, or check the spec sheet. Many instruments are single-sided spec'd. Many are not. So you think the tolerance is 1.5% of 40, when it may be 20. Honeywell PPT transducers are single-sided--a differential spec of ?20" wc is toleranced at the derated 20" wc only, for example.
Taking a look at the somewhat Spartan specification sheet, I would go with 20 FS, even though the span/range is 40. Otherwise, call or email them.

There is a tolerance associated with the specified value of 3, unfortunately it is 1.5% of FS.
Accounting for the basic contributors (specification and 2 digits of precision/resolution at 3"), the uncertainty at 3" w.c., with a 95% confidence level, is 0.294" w.c. @60?F.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Minitab Type 1 Gage Study on True Position Question Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
R Master Gage Block Calibration (We have 2 sets) question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Question on 'Class of Fit' - Gage Pin Clearance Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M Thread Gage Longevity Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T Gage Block Calibration Requirements question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
I Gage Block Calibration/Measurement Control Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
H Type 1 Gage Study Interpretation Question Using Minitab Software 7
B GR&R (Gage R&R) for Destructive Test - Question on how to? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Checking a male taper using a female air gage fixture - Air Gaging question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
Q Tolerance Set Plugs to Calibrate Thread Ring Gage - Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
0 Gage R&R Total Tolerance question - Use the full process tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
W How Total Variation is calculated - Minitab Gage Question Using Minitab Software 2
J Question on measure used for Gage R&R - Characteristic is a Knurled diameter Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
T Margin of Error and Gage R and R Question - Millage gages (test coating thickness) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
H Gage R&R Question - How to promote our measurement system from this conclusion Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
O Gage Block Wringing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B Gage R&R with NDC=1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Type 1 Gage R&R or something else? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
G Should I perform Gage R&R only at the beginning of a new project? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R Gage R&R Excel templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Gage R&R with more than 3 appraisers Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
Anerol C Gage R&R Template AIAG 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Definitive answer on Type 1 vs Type 2 vs Type 3 Gage Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
V Gage Management and Gage R&R Software General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Gage R&R Study on Load Cells - Large chemical blending tanks IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Gage R&R on alloy Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
L Gage R&R studies for identical Devices - Need to confirm the requirement to perform them Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
G Stab Pin Size For Check Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
E Functional Gage for TOP applied at RFS Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
F No reproducibility Error in Gage R&R? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Template for Attribute Gage R & R wanted Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
G Warning about Deltronic Gage Pins - The "Certification of Accuracy" document General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
A Gage type 1 study on CMM Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
Q Gage R&R for Instant Measurement Machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Gage R&R with large inter part variance - Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Do I need part variation while doing Destructive Variable Gage R&R MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 19
S Gage R&R Standard Deviations Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
J Informational Gage R&R: Swapping operators Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Gage R & R for large amount of inspections IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
S Ring Gage Thermal Expansion General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Gage R&R for test precision or uncertainty prediction? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Minor diameter of threaded ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Does Torque Gage Need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4