SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

To what extent are NASA standards applicable to commercial aviation?

DuncanGibbons

Involved In Discussions
Would be interested to hear the forum members opinions on this.

Is there any credibility in following NASA MSFC technical standards for processes in commercial aviation that don't yet have defined industry standards for such processes?

If so to what extent can the MSFC standards be used?

Currently, I'm looking into the MSFC-SPEC-3717 "Specification for control and qualification of laser powder bed fusion metallurgical processes" and MSFC-SPEC-3716 "Standard for additively manufactured spaceflight hardware by laser powder bed fusion in metals". Within these standards, they address the industry as "aerospace", can I, therefore, use these standards when developing a framework to certify commercial aviation parts and if so, how would validate my reasoning for using these NASA standards?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator

Is there any credibility in following NASA MSFC technical standards for processes in commercial aviation that don't yet have defined industry standards for such processes?

Currently, I'm looking into the MSFC-SPEC-3717 "Specification for control and qualification of laser powder bed fusion metallurgical processes" and MSFC-SPEC-3716 "Standard for additively manufactured spaceflight hardware by laser powder bed fusion in metals". Within these standards, they address the industry as "aerospace", can I, therefore, use these standards when developing a framework to certify commercial aviation parts and if so, how would validate my reasoning for using these NASA standards?
Your question would be best answered by the FAA Aircraft Certification Office.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin

In the foreword of the MSFC-SPEC-3717, we find the following text:

This MSFC Specification is an applicable document to MSFC-STD-3716 “Standard for Additively Manufactured Spaceflight Hardware by Laser Powder Bed Fusion in Metals” (henceforth, MSFC-STD-3716) and implements the requirements for qualification of the laser powder bed fusion (L-PBF) metallurgical process, control of L-PBF equipment and associated facilities, and training of personnel.
So, it is meant for spaceflight hardware and not meant for commercial aviation. Obviously, the criteria for process validation for spacecraft tend to be very strict. In manned spaceflights, much more strict than commercial aviation, but, when it comes to commercial aircraft, you have to reach out to the OEM's who have the production regulatory approvals and type certifications. Any component produced by additive manufacturing for commercial aircraft has to be properly certified accordingly.

I hear that the Airbus A350 has over 1,000 parts that are produced via additive manufacturing, so, clearly, EASA (and the other equivalent regulators, such as FAA, etc.) MUST have approved the AM manufacturing processes to be used in the commercial aviation supply chain.

Good luck.

Randy

Super Moderator
In the foreword of the MSFC-SPEC-3717, we find the following text:

So, it is meant for spaceflight hardware and not meant for commercial aviation. Obviously, the criteria for process validation for spacecrafts tend to be very strict. In manned spaceflights, much more strict than commercial aviation, but, when it comes to commercial aircraft, you have to reach out to the OEM's who have the production regulatory approvals and type certifications. Any component produced by additive manufacturing for commercial aircraft has to be properly certified accordingly.

I hear that the Airbus A350 has over 1,000 parts that are produced via additive manufacturing, so, clearly, EASA (and the other equivalent regulators, such as FAA, etc.) MUST have approved the AM manufacturing processes to be used in the commercial aviation supply chain.

Good luck.
This is interesting, thanks....I wonder what they're doing about Virgin Galactic because it's a commercial spaceflight venture? There's gotta be a workaround. My interest is peaked now.......

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
Glad to see that the referenced SPEC defines which type of "additive manufacturing" to such a level. (L-PBF pka SLS {Selective laser sintering} )

At this point every craft (air/auto/water/space) has "additive manufacturing" on board, screen printed electronics if nothing else
...and function/process/design vs FFU is the thing that has to vetted.

{...and your interest is piqued... ;) }

DuncanGibbons

Involved In Discussions
Glad to see that the referenced SPEC defines which type of "additive manufacturing" to such a level. (L-PBF pka SLS {Selective laser sintering} )

At this point every craft (air/auto/water/space) has "additive manufacturing" on board, screen printed electronics if nothing else
...and function/process/design vs FFU is the thing that has to vetted.

{...and your interest is piqued... ;) }
Hi Ninja, what does FFU stand for? apologies for my ignorance

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C 8.5.1.1 Control of Equipment, Tools, and Software Programs - Questions about the extent of control of NC programs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
J Extent of 2017/745: providing 3rd party mass produced devices to NHS patients EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M SI #7 8.4.2.1 Type and extent of control_supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J Extent of Validation - New machine installed in manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A IATF Sanctioned Interpretation No. 7 - Type and Extent of Control (supplemental) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
I AS9100 8.4.2 Type and Extent of Control - External provider test reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 24
B Documented process for type and extent of control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q ISO 9001:2015 - Extent of Policy and Scope with Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Complying with IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.1 - Type and extent of control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
E IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.2.5 - Supplier Development Type and Extent IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Extent of Product Traceability Required by ISO 13485 (Low Level Class I Devices) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
V What are the criteria for determining extent of requalification (hardware upgrade) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I Definition Insubordination in Organizations - Definition, extent; vis-a-vis employee's rights. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
E Extent of modification to be considered as Modified Adoption Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
L Can Extent of Documentation differ due to the Competence of Personnel? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M TS 16949 Cause 7.4.1: Type of Control vs. Extent of Control (Definitions) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R 820.50 (A) (2)Define the Type and Extent of Control to be exercised over Vendor Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
P Risk Management - To what extent is Risk Management required by AS9100? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
A Extent of Gage R&R necessary on two Digital Height Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J Extent of information required in COC (aka C of C and Certificate of Conformance) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
O Information on the extent of Statistics in the Six Sigma Green Belt Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
R Extent of Recognition of ISO 10993-1 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
R FDA recognition standard - Extent of Recognition 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
T Raw Material Verification - AS9100 Rev. B - 7.4.3 - To what extent must a company go? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T Traceability SOP Audit Finding - SOP does not describe the extent of the traceability ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
S Extent of Site manager (SM) Commitment - Upper Management issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
hogheavenfarm Extent of certification - Companies sharing manufacturing space in a building ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Sidney Vianna Outsourced Processes - Type and Extent of Control to be Applied - ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
F Need help about being more socialized - Hard to fit into my groups to some extent Career and Occupation Discussions 4
M Document Control Database - To what extent do document control requirements apply? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C To what extent should ppap be repeated according to the European Union ELV? APQP and PPAP 3
G Document Control - Extent of Responsibility Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
F Controlled Forms - To what extent do forms need to be controlled? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 41
J To what extent does Emergency Prepardness need to be extended Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
Sidney Vianna NASA to Develop a Novel Approach for All-Electric Aircraft Using Cryogenic Liquid Hydrogen as Energy Storage World News 2
Marc NASA Says Oregon Company Metals Fraud Caused $700 Million Satellite Failure - 2019 World News 16
Marc DOD, DHS and NASA Are Driving Adoption of Internet of Things Sensors IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
AnaMariaVR2 How Open Innovation is Solving Some of NASA?s Trickiest Problems World News 0
AnaMariaVR2 Mars-Inspired Art, Commissioned by NASA, Births Strange Sci-Fi Photos Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Richard Regalado Our Beautiful World courtesy of NASA - Photos of Earth Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
sonflowerinwales Is there a Process Equivalent to NASA Special NDI AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Marc Night-Time View of Alexandria, Cairo and the Nile Valley from the NASA Space Station Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R NASA Work Instruction 170846 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Marc A NASA Failure Analysis of the April 28 2010 failed balloon launch World News 0
Marc NASA Photos and Videos now Online! World News 3
BradM Is NASA smarter than a 13 year old? World News 8
ScottK Service Media - Definition in NASA KSC-C-123H - Surface Cleanliness for Fluid Systems Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
E NASA Scrubs Tuesday Shuttle Launch - Forbes World News 0
Jim Wynne NASA's competence in question again - Crack found in external fuel tank foam Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
Sidney Vianna NASA encourages AS9100/9110/9120 certification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5