Tolerance vs. Study Variation - Choosing the right one

M

Maokun

As we know, %Tolerance =100*R&R/[(USL-LSL)/6], and %Study Variation=100*R&R/TV. If we know the tolerance, we can get two results in a spreadsheet.And my question is Which one should be chosen.On other words, is there any condition to choose the right one?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I

Ingo1966

Re: Tolerance vs. Study Variation

Hello

If the Gage is used for Product Control --> % Tolerance
If the Gage is used for Process Control --> % Study Variation

AND acc. AIAG 4th edition:

If your Study Parts do not represent the whole Process Range you can also refer to a surrogate Process Variation as TV or you can also include the requested Pp in your calculation. See Details Page 120-121 AIAG MSA 4.th edition.

M

Maokun

Thank for you reply.

I'm in trouble now. I have analysed the data with MiniTab. The PV is Very low, I'll choose the % Tolerance as %GR&R as your said. But I found the %Tolerance <30%, % SV>30%. I'm puzzled with the result. Is the system OK?

Last edited by a moderator:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin

For what purpose is your gauge used? As Ingo1966 stated, a gauge may be used for product control (i.e., inspection) or process control (i.e., SPC). In the case of a highly capable process, your gauge may be acceptable for inspection, but unacceptable for process control. If your gauge is only used for inspection, this is acceptable.

M

Maokun

For what purpose is your gauge used? As Ingo1966 stated, a gauge may be used for product control (i.e., inspection) or process control (i.e., SPC). In the case of a highly capable process, your gauge may be acceptable for inspection, but unacceptable for process control. If your gauge is only used for inspection, this is acceptable.
:applause:Thanks, Miner.It used for product control.And I know how to estimate the system now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A % STUDY VARIATION VS. % TOLERANCE Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 31
Q % Study variation low, % tolerance high - GR&R Interpretation help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
Y Gage R&R - Calculating by Specification Tolerance vs. Study Variation - Differences Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
N % Tolerance - Type 1 study on the gages, then a gage R&R (ANOVA) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
kedarg6500 Excel spreadsheet for Unilateral Tolerance Study wanted Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
M 10 parts, 3 operators, 3 measurements GR&R study tolerance question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J Gage R&R Study (Crossed) - How to determine Process Tolerance Using Minitab Software 4
C P/T % of a gage R&R to 0 MMC Tolerance study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
Rameshwar25 Linearity Study - Tolerance for which Ref Value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
J %Study %Tolerance NDC - R&R Criteria Acceptability when the Tolerance is used Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
N Sample Selection for MSA Study - Entire range of the Tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T Finding a Process Tolerance for GR&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Gauge (Gage) R&R study - Samples required from full tolerance spread? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R What does the P/t ratio (Precision/Tolerance) =RR/(USL-LSL) say about my gage study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
K How do I do a GR&R study if there is no specified tolerance? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T Simulate Tolerance Range with Real Parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
D Tolerance and MPEs for Re-calibration Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
S GD&T Bonus Tolerance OOS Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
WEAVER Can you determine exact date an instrument went out of tolerance? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
K COPLANARITY: Composite profile tolerance on multiple surfaces- what does" lower dimensional reference frame tolerance" control? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
I Profile tolerance with a positional tolerance to a hole ? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A +0/-.001 Tolerance question - Feature size is 1.249 +0/-.001 - Actually measures 1.2493 (.0003 OHL Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
L Validation without Tolerance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
Q Acceptable Tolerance - how to derive? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 16
D Tolerance symbol Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Calibration tolerance question using Pipettes Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Determining a tolerance value for Measuring devices in-house inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
G 0.00005" tolerance on micrometer with 0.0005" resolution? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
N Drawing tolerance vs. Measurement device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
I Control Plan (Product/Process specification/ Tolerance) acceptance FMEA and Control Plans 27
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Proud Liberal Small radius with tight tolerance on a torus General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L GRR for a tolerance that has changed Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
T How to justify this High %Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
D Tolerance definition based on expected Cp/cpk Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 14
S Tolerance limits for micro balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
R Uncertainty in measurement larger than tolerance Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
WEAVER Electronic Weighing Scale Calibration Tolerance Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I Determining Calibration Tolerance of a Measurement Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D Tolerance when verifying an analytical balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
E Discussion between co-worker on tolerance and uncertainty and how to apply it. Thoughts? 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
C Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
T GRR based on part tolerance or process variation. Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Excel OOT (Out of Tolerance) Formula Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
N Tolerance Interval plots in Minitab Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Question about a basic additive variance/tolerance example Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
G Assigning a calibration tolerance - An x-y coordinate machine - Uncertainty as my verification tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4