Too many different types of audit!!!

S

Systems Guy

I work for an Automotive Supplier to GM, Ford, Chrysler, Renault, Nissan & a handful of others.

My problem is that customer requiremtns on internal auditing is becoming the bane of my life!
I am now expected to organise and try and book collegues & my own time to do;

QS9000 internal Auditing
FIEV Auditing
Gemba Kanri Auditing
Important Part Auditing &
Parts & Process Auditing

The problem that lies ahead is that if our Engineers were to audit our 30 departments to QS9000 & FIEV, and our 5 factory units to Gemba, Imp Part & P&P auditing - they would have very little time for anyting else!

At the moment it appears that we have a couple of audits a week to complete - this can't go on!?

My questions are;
Is anyone else out there experiancing the same problems?
How are you overcomming it?
Is there a common Auditing system that combines all 5 in the pipeline?

Please help....

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
create your own scope to cover all the requirements as appropriate... assign more staff to the audit team...and clearly define the scope of the audits....that is your key...the scope....while doing an audit of an area include the part stuff for any in that area....As long as its documented properly to show what was done, you will be fine. A desk review will pull together the whole picture for the additional global stuff.

[This message has been edited by barb butrym (edited 07 March 2000).]

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
16949 should reconcile QS9000 and FIEV requirements. I have no idea what Gemba Kanri Auditing is nor did an internet search provide a clue.

I disagree with barb's ideas of simply limiting (define your own???) scope and assigning more staff. The total scope of the audits as a whole will always be the same from a high level view - it will be the scope of your registration. As far as adding more staff - sounds nice - but - where from? Do you hire more people or do you assume people don't have enough to do now and assign them these additional duties? Naw - that's not an answer.

Unfortunately folks like Dennis Arter (The Audit Guy) are pushing hard to make internal auditing into a profession. They want them to go through certification programs and such. They want them to interpret the specs as well.

What is your answer? Depends upon your company but the bottom line is it means money. Just as the banking system has endured for years, manufacturing is now in the hands of auditors.

If I was you I would make up a matrix with all the requirements. I did it way back in 1993 to consolidate / relate ISO9001 and VDA6. See http://Elsmar.com/pdf_files/ and look for QS-Req.pdf

You also have to look at your list. There are:

Systems audits:
Are your systems compliant to, and do they fully address requirements like ISO9001 and QS9000 and FIEV? The management rep should do this.
Are employees following the systems? Internal auditors should do these at the same time that they do process audits.

Process audits - Are employees following process documemtation requirements? Internal auditors should do these.

Part audits - QA/Inspection should determine sampling plans and perform.

I have no idea what 'important part' auditing is about, by the way.

These are just suggestions and may not be right for your company. Also see: http://Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000043.html and http://Elsmar.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000037.html for some more ideas.

S

Systems Guy

Thanks Marc & Barb,

I appreciate the advice but I have to lean towards Marcs answer.

We are a 2nd tier Supplier with 500/600 employees, the problem is that people just simply do not have the time to do auditing as much as it is currently required. We are QS9000 & ISO14001 registered & are about to embark on the 16949 mission! Every time we train a set of Auditing Champions - 1 from every dept, they either leave the business, get promoted, or just don't have the time to audit when we require.

The only way I can see round this amount of work would be to either;
Recruit someone who's sole responsibility in in lfe would be to audit, or
create an audit that combines the requirements of all the systems and conducting 1 audit per dept per year - (effectivley killing 5 birds with one stone)
This obviously being the more complicated answer as I wouldn't know where to start!!

Thanks for the threads - very interesting, it seems I'm not on my own!!

If anyone has an auditing system of this kind, give me some hints - pleeease!

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
in reality we are not all that far off, actually marc....as when i say change the scope...and you say do a matrix....thats where I was headed...find the overlap, audit once...the scope now covers both....I do a scope for each audit...not the program...guess I was unclear......the old age is slipping in.....LOL..or the perhaps spring fever.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D IATF 16949: Do we have too many processes? Are they all the same? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
C How to Write Procedures without too many Details ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
L How to deal with too many CARs (Corrective Action Requests), PARs (Preventive Action) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
C ARGH Too Many Internal Audits Internal Auditing 22
Q Issuance of Corrective Action - Too many related to safety ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Sidney Vianna Too many competing schemes for "approval of responsible recyclers"? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
J How to know how many procedures are too many? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
pammesue Too Many purchasing/supplier procedures How do I fix them? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Do we have too many operational procedures and are they too long? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Documentation to Flow Chart - Too many documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Do I have too many ISO 9001 procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
M Do I Expect Too Much of Job Candidates? Career and Occupation Discussions 33
M Informational From RAPS – Another Notified Body Bows Out Ahead of EU MDR: ‘Investment Too High’ Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational FDA Panel: Too early to pull textured breast implants over cancer risk, need more data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Looking for a Japan MAH recommendation that is not too expensive Japan Medical Device Regulations 4
S FDA Inspections and Pest Control - Pallets too close to walls 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
L Nonconformity's risk is too low, so don't report it? General Auditing Discussions 25
O Is the Quality Objective for Company-wide Training as >90% too high? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Too Simple an Internal Audit Check Sheet? Internal Auditing 10
GStough Rejecting a Supplier's Corrective Action Plan When It's Too Weak Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
B Is the ISO 13485 auditor being too picky concerning CMDCAS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Sourcing a Sterile Product - Asking for supplier for too much regulatory stuff? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Reduced Device License Fee was rejected for being sent in too early Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
N Calibration Lab unable to issue Accredited Certificate when error is too high? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H "Too little" variation in gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J ISO13485 File-Index getting too large Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N Boss is too hard on me.... Career and Occupation Discussions 48
Sidney Vianna The frequent flyers that flew too much... Unlimited AAirpass Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
B Management Review Meetings too Long - How to Shorten and Improve Effectiveness Management Review Meetings and related Processes 7
B NAFTA Requirements - Finished Product or Materials/Parts from Suppliers, too? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
A When a Company is Too Big for Quality Service Industry Specific Topics 20
Q Document Control Procedure - Too much detail? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Histogram Interpretation when a process is "running too high" or "running too low"? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
somashekar Too much data, Too little analysis - Manual Stages Assembly Shop Data Collection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
B Can the Variation on Data be too small in a Variables Data Gage R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Customer SQE - Within Specification but too much Variance Customer Complaints 7
A What to do when customer requirements are too much? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 29
A Are Risk Analysis Studies required only for devices, or other processes too? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
R MSDS Sheets for Products - How much is too much - Or is there ever too much? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
BradM Definitely too old to Trick or Treat Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
Jim Wynne Is this ISO 9001 Registration Scope Statement Too Vague? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Late CA (Corrective Action) excuse or I'm too important or no response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 19
4 Change Control Systems - How much is too much? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Q How much detail in DHR (Device History Record) is too much? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J The Dude abides, and this weekend Hub ?Lebowski? fans will, too Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R Audit N/C - Quality Policy too generic? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
Jim Wynne Another way to tell that you've got too much money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
Randy I got a new ride too! 1990 'Vette Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 50
P Improvement Problem - Too few data points and scope is wide Six Sigma 6