Too many NC's/ Deviations and CAPAs galore

theantchamp

Registered
All, I am in a pharma company where we open a deviation for just about everything. I am new to this place but it seems due to the lack of QA knowledge and expierence we tend to say yes to opening a lot of deviations (we dont have nonconformances). Each deviation takes a lot of work to investigate, find root cause and close. We cant close a deviation as is even if its just to document or if it needs a simple correction.

In the pharma world, to minimize the number of open issues can we simply comment and close? And specifically how do you handle software issues where for example a piece of software freezes, the operator restarts and its good to go. Does that merit a deviation? If not are there work arounds? Im just not used to seeing so many open issues.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
"where for example a piece of software freezes, the operator restarts and its good to go "

Did your original validation of this software include "freezing" and restarting (fault recovery)?

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
The question @Jim Wynne posed does need to be answered before too much discussion but I will comment on:

where for example a piece of software freezes, the operator restarts and its good to go.

(I would bet money that your validation didn't include software freezes!)

I think you first have to look at the effects of the freeze. Does that mean the operator has to re-enter a bunch of data (increased likelihood of data entry error?). Might there be any lingering effects from the freeze (corrupted database records, bogus audit trail records, etc.). If you have ruled all that out (with certainty!) then I think it would be reasonable for the operator to just note what happened and move on. I think you can let the level of risk drive the level of response.

Circling back to the validation point. Frequent freezes may well mean that the software isn't suited for its intended purpose! Is this vendor-supplied software or internally developed software? If the former, have you contacted the vendor to see if there is a resolution? If the latter, have you contacted your development team to investigate? I'd worry as much about the (apparent) trend here as the individual instances.

theantchamp

Registered
Could you explain what you mean by "deviation"? Why is a deviation necessary if there is no nonconformity?
So its a bit confusing here. Here the term nonconformance doesn't exist. So everything falls under a deviation or CAPA. But a deviation here requires an investigation, root cause analysis, action plan, effectivity...sounds like a capa to me.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
I also wonder about the "culture" (I hate using this term but it fits here) in a pharmaceutical company where operators are taking it upon themselves to troubleshoot failure modes midstream and blazing onwards. Also, hearing a pharma company lacks QA competency is alarming. Was everyone replaced recently?

FDA expects processes to be validated, controlled, released, documented, and trained on. It's key to say the process is consistent always and if it's not, it's corrected via processes that are also documented and controlled.

Ok, off the soapbox.

normhowe

Involved In Discussions
Jim Wynne, the definition of 'deviation' depends on the company in Pharma, but typically includes nonconformances and any time someone doesn't follow an SOP as written.

When I've seen massive numbers of deviations, NCs, or CAPAs in companies, the first thing I want to know is how many repeats are we seeing. What trends are we seeing? Certain processes? Certain departments? Are we finding true root causes? Are evaluations of effectiveness truly effective?
My guess is that the system for correcting system errors needs correcting.

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin
All, I am in a pharma company where we open a deviation for just about everything. I am new to this place but it seems due to the lack of QA knowledge and expierence we tend to say yes to opening a lot of deviations (we dont have nonconformances). Each deviation takes a lot of work to investigate, find root cause and close. We cant close a deviation as is even if its just to document or if it needs a simple correction.

In the pharma world, to minimize the number of open issues can we simply comment and close? And specifically how do you handle software issues where for example a piece of software freezes, the operator restarts and its good to go. Does that merit a deviation? If not are there work arounds? Im just not used to seeing so many open issues.

There is plenty room for improvement. Additionally, I believe when you say, "Deviations", do you categorize under "Planned" and "Unplanned" as its typically done in the Pharma space?

I would suggest revisiting your existing procedures and work instructions, putting a risk-based approach, having a process to record incidents, nonconformance and all that good stuff that goes as part of the quality system requirements.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Too many customer complaints Customer Complaints 16
D IATF 16949: Do we have too many processes? Are they all the same? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
C How to Write Procedures without too many Details ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
L How to deal with too many CARs (Corrective Action Requests), PARs (Preventive Action) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
C ARGH Too Many Internal Audits Internal Auditing 22
Q Issuance of Corrective Action - Too many related to safety ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Sidney Vianna Too many competing schemes for "approval of responsible recyclers"? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 0
J How to know how many procedures are too many? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
P Too Many purchasing/supplier procedures How do I fix them? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
M Do we have too many operational procedures and are they too long? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
J Documentation to Flow Chart - Too many documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
I Do I have too many ISO 9001 procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
S Too many different types of audit!!! General Auditing Discussions 4
Q The Management system is too much ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R What to do when revision history is too long? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
I How to determine "generic/me too" device? Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDR requirement where unit of use packaging is too small for UDI carrier EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C CMM Granite too hard General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Do I Expect Too Much of Job Candidates? Career and Occupation Discussions 33
M Informational From RAPS – Another Notified Body Bows Out Ahead of EU MDR: ‘Investment Too High’ Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational FDA Panel: Too early to pull textured breast implants over cancer risk, need more data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Looking for a Japan MAH recommendation that is not too expensive Japan Medical Device Regulations 6
S FDA Inspections and Pest Control - Pallets too close to walls 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
L Nonconformity's risk is too low, so don't report it? General Auditing Discussions 25
O Is the Quality Objective for Company-wide Training as >90% too high? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Too Simple an Internal Audit Check Sheet? Internal Auditing 10
GStough Rejecting a Supplier's Corrective Action Plan When It's Too Weak Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
B Is the ISO 13485 auditor being too picky concerning CMDCAS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Sourcing a Sterile Product - Asking for supplier for too much regulatory stuff? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Reduced Device License Fee was rejected for being sent in too early Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
N Calibration Lab unable to issue Accredited Certificate when error is too high? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H "Too little" variation in gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J ISO13485 File-Index getting too large Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N Boss is too hard on me.... Career and Occupation Discussions 48
Sidney Vianna The frequent flyers that flew too much... Unlimited AAirpass Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
B Management Review Meetings too Long - How to Shorten and Improve Effectiveness Management Review Meetings and related Processes 7
B NAFTA Requirements - Finished Product or Materials/Parts from Suppliers, too? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
A When a Company is Too Big for Quality Service Industry Specific Topics 20
Q Document Control Procedure - Too much detail? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Histogram Interpretation when a process is "running too high" or "running too low"? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
somashekar Too much data, Too little analysis - Manual Stages Assembly Shop Data Collection Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
B Can the Variation on Data be too small in a Variables Data Gage R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Customer SQE - Within Specification but too much Variance Customer Complaints 7
A What to do when customer requirements are too much? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 29
A Are Risk Analysis Studies required only for devices, or other processes too? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
R MSDS Sheets for Products - How much is too much - Or is there ever too much? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
BradM Definitely too old to Trick or Treat Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
Jim Wynne Is this ISO 9001 Registration Scope Statement Too Vague? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Late CA (Corrective Action) excuse or I'm too important or no response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 19