Too much data, Too little analysis - Manual Stages Assembly Shop Data Collection

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
I have seen typical manual assembly processes divided into several stages, from where numbers are gathered at almost all stages and for all parts assembled, and the engineers flood themselves with this data and put lot of time on sorting this and arrive at some performance measure that mostly makes no great meaning to some commonly asked questions like, What is the first pass yield, productivity, assembly shop capacity, Top three areas for improvement etc etc. I also see that this makes them sit and spend a lot of time with their PC systems having big spreadsheets opened and engrossed in them, while their more productive time usage must be in the shopfloor in supervisory and productivity activities.
What can be done to change this trend ?
Looking at some examples of good manual stages assembly shop data collection and analysis approach, procedures and tools that are used effectively with minimum efforts and meaningful outputs.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

harry

Super Moderator
Re: Too much data, too little analysis

......................... What can be done to change this trend ? ..............................
In a similar case that I came across recently, a few questions asked proved that they were simply collecting data (because somebody went on a course) without knowing why or the significance of it. It reminds me of Jim's signature - "Too much time is spent worrying about how to count things, and not enough in understanding what counts".

Last edited:
M

mandarkg

I would recommend having engineers trained on Statistical Thinking - Pareto Charts, use of Statistical Process Control to determine the process stability, process center and process variance. They should also be trained on using these control charts/Pareto charts to focus on areas that will really impact the bottom line.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Do I Expect Too Much of Job Candidates? Career and Occupation Discussions 33
J Sourcing a Sterile Product - Asking for supplier for too much regulatory stuff? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Sidney Vianna The frequent flyers that flew too much... Unlimited AAirpass Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
Q Document Control Procedure - Too much detail? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
A Customer SQE - Within Specification but too much Variance Customer Complaints 7
A What to do when customer requirements are too much? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 29
R MSDS Sheets for Products - How much is too much - Or is there ever too much? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 12
4 Change Control Systems - How much is too much? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
Q How much detail in DHR (Device History Record) is too much? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Jim Wynne Another way to tell that you've got too much money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
A Cl 7.5.1: Control of Production and Service Provision - How much is too much? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G Master Black Belt Certification without spending too much money Six Sigma 28
M Supplier audit - Are they asking for too much documentation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
C Variabilty between two CMM's - How much variability is too much? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D Too much information Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
Wes Bucey Too much info? - OR not enough? Sex Offender Registry Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 48
B Preferred methodology for internal audits - CEO says we're spending too much time Internal Auditing 8
gard2372 Calibration Schedule - Too spread out and too much to track? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Controlling Drawings / Prints - When and What's too much 'control'? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 16
T How To Tell My Boss I Have Too Much To Do? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M Informational From RAPS – Another Notified Body Bows Out Ahead of EU MDR: ‘Investment Too High’ Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational FDA Panel: Too early to pull textured breast implants over cancer risk, need more data Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F Looking for a Japan MAH recommendation that is not too expensive Japan Medical Device Regulations 4
S FDA Inspections and Pest Control - Pallets too close to walls 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
D IATF 16949: Do we have too many processes? Are they all the same? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
L Nonconformity's risk is too low, so don't report it? General Auditing Discussions 25
O Is the Quality Objective for Company-wide Training as >90% too high? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Too Simple an Internal Audit Check Sheet? Internal Auditing 10
GStough Rejecting a Supplier's Corrective Action Plan When It's Too Weak Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 22
B Is the ISO 13485 auditor being too picky concerning CMDCAS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Q Reduced Device License Fee was rejected for being sent in too early Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
N Calibration Lab unable to issue Accredited Certificate when error is too high? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H "Too little" variation in gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J ISO13485 File-Index getting too large Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
N Boss is too hard on me.... Career and Occupation Discussions 48
C How to Write Procedures without too many Details ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
L How to deal with too many CARs (Corrective Action Requests), PARs (Preventive Action) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 25
B Management Review Meetings too Long - How to Shorten and Improve Effectiveness Management Review Meetings and related Processes 7
B NAFTA Requirements - Finished Product or Materials/Parts from Suppliers, too? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
A When a Company is Too Big for Quality Service Industry Specific Topics 20
C ARGH Too Many Internal Audits Internal Auditing 22
G Histogram Interpretation when a process is "running too high" or "running too low"? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
B Can the Variation on Data be too small in a Variables Data Gage R&R Study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
A Are Risk Analysis Studies required only for devices, or other processes too? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
BradM Definitely too old to Trick or Treat Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
Jim Wynne Is this ISO 9001 Registration Scope Statement Too Vague? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Late CA (Corrective Action) excuse or I'm too important or no response Nonconformance and Corrective Action 19
J The Dude abides, and this weekend Hub ?Lebowski? fans will, too Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Q Issuance of Corrective Action - Too many related to safety ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8