Tool Approval Process - Should we be using Cmk for tool validation

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes anyway. I have been asked to look at a procedure for a Tool Approval Process. There is one point in particular that I would like advice on. For critical characteristics the requirement is that a CMk value of 1.67 is achieved. The question I am asking is should we be using CMk at all? To my mind, this tells us nothing about the process, only about the machine. If the tool is moved to another machine, the whole thing needs to be done again! I would have thought it better to do a process evaluation, i.e. CPk or PPk. Two, is the value of 1.67 sufficient? Do you think that this is a very good way to go?

Any advice and guidance appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
DJN said:
I am not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes anyway. I have been asked to look at a procedure for a Tool Approval Process. There is one point in particular that I would like advice on. For critical characteristics the requirement is that a CMk value of 1.67 is achieved. The question I am asking is should we be using CMk at all? To my mind, this tells us nothing about the process, only about the machine. If the tool is moved to another machine, the whole thing needs to be done again! I would have thought it better to do a process evaluation, i.e. CPk or PPk. Two, is the value of 1.67 sufficient? Do you think that this is a very good way to go?

If there are other folks here who've used CMk to good advantage I'd like to hear about it as well. Personally, I think it's an evil plot hatched by a statistician with too much time on his hands:lol: .
If you take the process approach, understanding the variability inherent in the indivdual components of the system is important, but most of the time I think it's intuitive (as to machine capability) or a matter of experience, and not worth a lot of effort. If you've done your APQP due-diligence and you find that your process doesn't yield at the expected level, your improvement efforts might lead to machine issues, but in my experience those are rare, or represent something that should have been anticipated.
Like I said, if someone has had different experience, please tell us about it.

Thanks for the reply. I too have serious doubts as to the validity of CMk. This procedure is for a general tool validation process, not just for automotive. I think I will press for a change of direction, i.e. process validation. Machine capability studies may have a place in determining the boundaries, but any 'dodgy' dimensions should be followed up with a process study, at least that is my humble opinion. Could I say that machine studies have largely been superseded by process studies?

Evelyn7E

Starting to get Involved

DJN if you use the Cmk which is the machine capabilty, a good machine capability does not equal to good product capability which is Ppk. You have to validate the product capability Ppk which is base on individual measurement. Ensure it is normally distributed and represent the population

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
DJN if you use the Cmk which is the machine capabilty, a good machine capability does not equal to good product capability which is Ppk. You have to validate the product capability Ppk which is base on individual measurement. Ensure it is normally distributed and represent the population
Evelyn,

What should we do if the data is not normally distributed?

Evelyn7E

Starting to get Involved
Evelyn,

What should we do if the data is not normally distributed?
Johnny ,

1. You can request for bigger sample size, maybe about 50 or 100 and check again
2. Check if you the characteristic you are measuring if it is suppose to be normally distributed, almost all mechanical measurement should normal
3. Check if there is some screening to get the sample for measurement

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A One of APQP Process Steps - OTS (Off Tool Sample) Approval APQP and PPAP 1
G Approval for tool suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 23
R PPAP Requirements for Tool Repair or Refurbishment APQP and PPAP 5
R Cost per test tool/formula Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
R Cost per test tool/formula Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
B AS9102 - 3D printing a special tool required for assembly (counterfeit risk?) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
J Need a contract monitoring Tool General Information Resources 0
_robinsingh Security Risk Assessment Tool IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
A Capability Study - in the beginning of your career what should you have known about the tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
O Dimension Measurement Tool Recommendation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
Y Commanded life cycle management tool IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
GreatNate Excel PPAP Tracking templates or tool wanted APQP and PPAP 1
E Standards Management Tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
E ISO 9001:2015 - Record requirements for out of calibration tool ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
M PDCA as a project tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Minitab tool to evaluate PM (Preventive Maintenance) process Using Minitab Software 6
M Informational Health Canada has launched an e-Learning tool to aid in understanding the premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
John Broomfield Workplace by Facebook - Any other organizations using this collaborative tool? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
A Overkill? Using the 3L5W tool on non-conformities Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
I Tool Control Marking Voiding Warranty AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
F Quality Tool box talks ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D VDA 6.4 Audit checklist - Production tool suppliers VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
I Tool maintenance and calibration procedure - Calibrating tools/equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
bobdoering "nds" or Number of Discriminate Samples - the Necessary Tool to Work With "ndc"! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
G Design and development of user centric audit report visualisation tool Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
G Web based tool for benchmarking audit findings Benchmarking 6
J AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
R New Tool from Omnex - IATF Gap Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
C Upgrading from ISO 9001:2015 to IATF 16949:2016 - Anyone have a gap analysis tool? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I Veeva installation and the Loader Tool Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M IATF Tool for Leadership and Planning - 2017 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Icy Mountain ISO9001:2015 & IATF 16949:2016 Gap Analysis Tool IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Looking for Calibrated Tool Shadowboard Substrate Ideas AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Marc SAS vs. R vs. Python: Which Tool Do Analytics Pros Prefer? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
P Tool for Measuring - Do I have to do more than one Gage R&R for the PPAP? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Pneumatic & Electrical Torque Tool - Calibration/Verification of 'Power Tools' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Excel Leadtime Analysis Graphic Tool with Macros Enabled Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
D Medical Device Software Tool Validation - Compilers! IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
J What kind of Tool and Gauge in IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J CNC Machine Tool Calibration - 6 dof Calibration Interferometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P Using Bugzilla as a Quality Reporting Tool Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
Marc Hackers unleash smart Twitter phishing tool that snags two in three users IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
D Proper Tool to Measure Wall Thickness (ISO 3611 - Micrometers) Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
N Tool frequency change - Data Analysis needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
V What tool do you use for systemic issues? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2