Tool to Identify Systemic Failures - 'Drill Deep & Wide' - GM (General Motors)

L
I would like to know your experiences with this tool to identify systematic failures focusing on prevention, prediction and protection (3P)

In a presentation our SQE said that the use of tool is wide extended in USA and a new requirement for Europe.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Bill Ryan - 2007

:bigwave: Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help you. We're Tier 1, 2, and 3 to GM and I've not heard anything about this "tool". Perhaps someone else has and will enlighten both of us.

Bill

L
Actually, this tool is not only for GM. In the presentation, we were Tier 1 suppliers and they were talking about spreading it along the supply chain. (Perharps only to Tier 2 level)

The aim is to avoid recurrence in incidents that could cause a line stoppage because of quality reasons.

Through 5 Why analysis, systemic root causes should be detected in all 3P whenever an incident happens. Finally, a pareto chart should be built to focus only on main systemic issues.

If any of you are interested in having further information on this tool I have some material available.

Attachments

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

Man - that model sure looks familiar :bonk: (wonder why GM, in their infinite wisdom, decided to combine the Check/Act steps?)

K

kareno369

I'd really like to see any information you have on DD&W. Someone mentioned it at our plant yesterday - first I'd heard of it.

B

bgwiehle

GM's "Drill Deep" Worksheet

Our Tier 1 plant was asked to fill out the Drill Deep Worksheet for the first time earlier this year. It seems to be a good tool for root cause and corrective action identification. I looked, unsuccessfully, on the the GM website trying to find any mention of this worksheet and had come to the conclusion that this was either very new or an initiative from the GM assembly plants.

Since our QA Manager likes the format, he has been asking our suppliers to use it.

The actual format is an excel file (attached, I hope).

B.G. Wiehle :rolleyes:

Attachments

B

Bill Ryan - 2007

No wonder Toyota's catching 'em :rolleyes:

I suppose this will cost us another wonderful trip to Pontiac to "be trained" and then waste more time transferring stuff onto their "new" format. Pretty soon we'll be sending the wrong format to someone :eek: .

But thank you for the postings B.G. and Lewy.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Skill Matrix Format as a Tool to Identify Training Needs Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
T Torque tool calibration Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
M Validation of Data verification tool per 21 CFR 820 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
R PPAP Requirements for Tool Repair or Refurbishment APQP and PPAP 5
R Cost per test tool/formula Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
R Cost per test tool/formula Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
B AS9102 - 3D printing a special tool required for assembly (counterfeit risk?) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
G Approval for tool suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 23
J Need a contract monitoring Tool General Information Resources 0
_robinsingh Security Risk Assessment Tool IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
A Capability Study - in the beginning of your career what should you have known about the tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
G Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
O Dimension Measurement Tool Recommendation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
Y Commanded life cycle management tool IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
GreatNate Excel PPAP Tracking templates or tool wanted APQP and PPAP 1
E Standards Management Tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
E ISO 9001:2015 - Record requirements for out of calibration tool ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
M PDCA as a project tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Minitab tool to evaluate PM (Preventive Maintenance) process Using Minitab Software 6
M Informational Health Canada has launched an e-Learning tool to aid in understanding the premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
John Broomfield Workplace by Facebook - Any other organizations using this collaborative tool? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
A Overkill? Using the 3L5W tool on non-conformities Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
I Tool Control Marking Voiding Warranty AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
F Quality Tool box talks ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D VDA 6.4 Audit checklist - Production tool suppliers VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
I Tool maintenance and calibration procedure - Calibrating tools/equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
bobdoering "nds" or Number of Discriminate Samples - the Necessary Tool to Work With "ndc"! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
G Design and development of user centric audit report visualisation tool Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
G Web based tool for benchmarking audit findings Benchmarking 6
J AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
R New Tool from Omnex - IATF Gap Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
C Upgrading from ISO 9001:2015 to IATF 16949:2016 - Anyone have a gap analysis tool? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I Veeva installation and the Loader Tool Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M IATF Tool for Leadership and Planning - 2017 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Icy Mountain ISO9001:2015 & IATF 16949:2016 Gap Analysis Tool IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Looking for Calibrated Tool Shadowboard Substrate Ideas AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Marc SAS vs. R vs. Python: Which Tool Do Analytics Pros Prefer? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
P Tool for Measuring - Do I have to do more than one Gage R&R for the PPAP? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Pneumatic & Electrical Torque Tool - Calibration/Verification of 'Power Tools' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Excel Leadtime Analysis Graphic Tool with Macros Enabled Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
D Medical Device Software Tool Validation - Compilers! IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
J What kind of Tool and Gauge in IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J CNC Machine Tool Calibration - 6 dof Calibration Interferometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P Using Bugzilla as a Quality Reporting Tool Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
Marc Hackers unleash smart Twitter phishing tool that snags two in three users IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
D Proper Tool to Measure Wall Thickness (ISO 3611 - Micrometers) Manufacturing and Related Processes 7