Tool tracebility and First calibration requirements for aerospace (AS9100) organisation

Hello all, This is hemanth,
Organisation Type- Aerospace (AS9100 certified)
Topic - setting up of Tool initial acceptance requirement,
Questions -
1. Is it Mandatory to have a first calibration report for a NEW TOOL ?, (I have purchased new tools but calibration certificate is not provided, on inquiry it is understood it incurs a separate charge).
2. How can i accept a new tool ? is COC certificate of conformance enough or shall i get it calibrated ?or should i get it calibrated before starting to use it ? or any particular requirements ? (how will it affect audit)
3. How shall i setup tool calibration procedure (on what basis) ?.

Plz Help me
Thanks in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
1. Is it Mandatory to have a first calibration report for a NEW TOOL ?, (I have purchased new tools but calibration certificate is not provided, on inquiry it is understood it incurs a separate charge).

There's no telling what condition a new device is in unless you calibrate it yourself. Even when calibration certificates are provided by the manufacturer, a lot can happen in shipping and handling. "Mandatory"? When calibration is required, you need to be able to show evidence that calibration has been done.
2. How can i accept a new tool ? is COC certificate of conformance enough or shall i get it calibrated ?or should i get it calibrated before starting to use it ? or any particular requirements ? (how will it affect audit)
See the previous answer. In general, a "certificate of conformance" isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
3. How shall i setup tool calibration procedure (on what basis) ?.
I'm not sure what you're asking. Please clarify.

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Let's go through the requirements from the standard to understand what is needed.

The part I want to stress is in 7.5.1.2. That is not to say that 7.1.5.1 isn't important, just the 7.1.5.2 better answers your question.

I like the wording from the 2008 standard better as it is easier to catch the emphasis. The 2015 standard says pretty much the same thing but with more words.

2008 - "Where necessary to ensure valid results . . . "

2015 - "When measurement traceability is a requirement, or is considered by the organization to be an essential part of providing confidence in the validity of measurement results . . . "

So if it is necessary to ensure valid results it needs to be calibrated. If it isn't necessary to ensure valid results, it doesn't need to be calibrated.

The rest of it is from 2015.

. . . measuring equipment shall be:
a) calibrated or verified, or both (pointing out that calibration activity includes confirming it is in spec if adjustments are needed or not), at specified intervals (you get to determine the intervals, more on that later), or prior to use, against measurement standards traceable to international or national measurement standards (in the USA the most common is traceability to NIST); where no such standards exists, the basis used for calibration or verification shall be retained as documented information (in the rare event that you have a unique measuring tool that isn't traceable to a NIST standard you need to explain what you are doing);

b) identified in order to determine their status;

c) safeguarded from adjustments, damage or deterioration that would invalidate the calibration status and subsequent measurement results.

The organization shall determine if the validity of previous measurement results has been adversely affected when measuring equipment is found to be unfit for its intended purpose, and shall take appropriate action as necessary (going back to determining the calibration interval, you don't want it to be so often that it is a nuisance but frequent enough that you seldom if ever need to go through the exercise of determining the harm done from an out of calibration measuring tool).

Keep in mind that the ending of 7.1.5.1 includes keeping records of calibration as evidence of fitness for use.

Back to the original question about the need to a new measuring tool to be calibrated. If there is no calibration certificate with NIST traceability, how are you going to provide evidence of that traceability and fitness for use?

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
How shall i setup tool calibration procedure (on what basis) ?.
@Big Jim gave a detailed answer from the AS9100 standard. Note calibration is not the only option, you can calibrate, or verify, or both, at specified intervals, or before use, against a traceable measurement standard, or (where no standard exists) the organization defines what is the basis. So in that use of the word basis, it is the method and the standard you calibrate or verify in comparison to. If your unique device measures product or machine performance in a units which are not traceable to calibration standards - fundamental engineering units (length, force, current, time) - your organization is allowed to define your own verification/calibration procedure. Sometimes the manufacturer of the device will provide a verification master and a calibration/verification procedure and recommended verification frequency. Adopting the recommendation of the manufacturer is a reasonable approach and often a safe bet.

When you ask in question 3 what basis, you may have meant what frequency. The perfect answer is to calibrate/adjust as often as you need to avoid "adverse affect" when the results are invalid. Of course, you can't know with certainty when that adverse point is reached, so most companies chose a calibrate/verify frequency which is a a trade-off between often and not often enough. Until you have data to make a more rational, mathematical determination, many companies use a default interval of 12 months. Another solution is to verify before use, which is an option allowed by AS9100. Whatever basis your organization chooses, must be retained as documented information.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Look carefully at any calibration requirements flowed down to you by your customers - very often in aerospace and defense those requirements go well beyond the minimums in the AS9100 standard.

Welshwizard

Involved In Discussions
Mike S,

Yes indeed, for example in Europe there has been a move over the last 10 years or so to mandate UKAS calibration standards in the form of ISO 17025 by some of the key manufacturers. This invokes true traceability i.e. not only an unbroken chain but each level with an associated uncertainty.

I have seen many companies in aerospace where they have not realised that their calibrations are not strictly traceable i.e. no statements of uncertainty on their certificates. To be at many of the "top tables " now you must demonstrate amongst other things that you have truly traceable measurements, it could also be very important if the unthinkable happened and there were injuries and god forbid fatalities.

So yes AS9100 is indeed a minimum for many now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M SemaTech SSQA Standardized Supplier Quality Assessment - my favorite tool ever Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
G APQP Scope and scale tool APQP and PPAP 2
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
O Dimension Measurement Tool Recommendation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
Y Commanded life cycle management tool IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
GreatNate Excel PPAP Tracking templates or tool wanted APQP and PPAP 1
E Standards Management Tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
E ISO 9001:2015 - Record requirements for out of calibration tool ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
M PDCA as a project tool Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
M Minitab tool to evaluate PM (Preventive Maintenance) process Using Minitab Software 6
M Informational Health Canada has launched an e-Learning tool to aid in understanding the premarket regulatory requirements for medical devices in Canada Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
John Broomfield Workplace by Facebook - Any other organizations using this collaborative tool? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
A Overkill? Using the 3L5W tool on non-conformities Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
I Tool Control Marking Voiding Warranty AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
F Quality Tool box talks ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D VDA 6.4 Audit checklist - Production tool suppliers VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
I Tool maintenance and calibration procedure - Calibrating tools/equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
bobdoering "nds" or Number of Discriminate Samples - the Necessary Tool to Work With "ndc"! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
G Design and development of user centric audit report visualisation tool Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
G Web based tool for benchmarking audit findings Benchmarking 6
J AS9100D Clause Brain Fade - Tool was past due for Calibration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
R New Tool from Omnex - IATF Gap Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
C Upgrading from ISO 9001:2015 to IATF 16949:2016 - Anyone have a gap analysis tool? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I Veeva installation and the Loader Tool Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M IATF Tool for Leadership and Planning - 2017 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Icy Mountain ISO9001:2015 & IATF 16949:2016 Gap Analysis Tool IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
K Looking for Calibrated Tool Shadowboard Substrate Ideas AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
Marc SAS vs. R vs. Python: Which Tool Do Analytics Pros Prefer? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
P Tool for Measuring - Do I have to do more than one Gage R&R for the PPAP? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Pneumatic & Electrical Torque Tool - Calibration/Verification of 'Power Tools' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Excel Leadtime Analysis Graphic Tool with Macros Enabled Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
D Medical Device Software Tool Validation - Compilers! IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
J What kind of Tool and Gauge in IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J CNC Machine Tool Calibration - 6 dof Calibration Interferometers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
P Using Bugzilla as a Quality Reporting Tool Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 11
Marc Hackers unleash smart Twitter phishing tool that snags two in three users IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
D Proper Tool to Measure Wall Thickness (ISO 3611 - Micrometers) Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
N Tool frequency change - Data Analysis needed Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
V What tool do you use for systemic issues? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
C Software Planning Tool for Equipment Qualifications, Process Validations Software Quality Assurance 3
M How to provide Stability Study for micron-precision tool Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
J Tooling Cost - As an OEM I am paying for a new tool Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
L Auditing Tool (Excel spreadsheet) for VDA 6.3 to Audit a Service Provider VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
O Creating a Tool to Track & Verify Mistake Proofing Devices Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
E CAPA Management Software Tool Recommendations for Small Companies Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
T What does Tool Validation Accomplish? Design and Development of Products and Processes 14
bobdoering Is tool wear a special cause? No... Imported Legacy Blogs 0
S Tie Wrap Tensioner Tool Calibration Requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C System or Tool Audit Template wanted Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2