SBS - The best value in QMS software

Torque Wrench Calibration/Verification

A

AshleyE

Could use a hand here. I’ve read several threads regarding “torque wrench calibration” yet I’m still confused. I hope that you all can provide some guidance.
We use torque wrenches while building our electromechanical assemblies. Screws/nuts/bolts into fabricated frames, etc.
The majority of assemblies we build do not have torque specifications called out on the drawings or customer-supplied instructions. We use the torque wrenches primarily as a production aid to help our assemblers properly tighten components.

In terms of Calibration/Verification, our torque wrenches are “verify at use” with a torque analyzer (which is calibrated by the manufacturer annually). In our recertification audit we ran into a minor nonconformance because we do not keep records of calibration/verification (for other items, not just the torque wrenches). We’re clear on how to correct this on our other items, but not for torque wrenches. Do we have to include calibration status for our torque wrenches even though we set them against calibrated equipment before every use?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
If you do not have a torque requirement, change the device to 'calibration not required'. What your saying is that calibration is performed 'at use' and that would require some type of verification.

If the device does not need calibration, remove the requirement.

Your auditor is incorrect and your process - as described - is good. Your torque mastering device is what gives the results for each torque wrench, and that should be sufficient record. Your auditor is grasping at straws...

A

AshleyE

Happy to know the process is good but I don't disagree with the finding. The torque wrenches were listed as examples of evidence, along with our pin & block gage sets and our CMM. The checks are done each time the item is used but we do not record the verification.

9001:2008 7.6 states "Records of the results of calibration and verification shall be maintained"

So if the item is listed in the Calibration Log as "verify at use" but there is no record of the item actually being verified at use, wouldn't that be a missing requirement?

Perhaps I'm looking at the requirement incorrectly?

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
With regard to the check made before each use - is it a verification against a single setting? Does the wrench get subjected to an annual (or other periodic) calibration that ensures accuracy over the working range of the device?

Now that I think about it, you didn't mention if those wrenches are adjustable or fixed.

In my opinion, if you are using torque wrenches and you have determined the need to verify them before each use (which is, in fact, a much more aggressive and demanding check frequency than a periodic check), you need to show a record of the results, as defined in the standard.

Last edited:

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Could use a hand here. I?ve read several threads regarding ?torque wrench calibration? yet I?m still confused. I hope that you all can provide some guidance.
We use torque wrenches while building our electromechanical assemblies. Screws/nuts/bolts into fabricated frames, etc.
The majority of assemblies we build do not have torque specifications called out on the drawings or customer-supplied instructions. We use the torque wrenches primarily as a production aid to help our assemblers properly tighten components.

In terms of Calibration/Verification, our torque wrenches are ?verify at use? with a torque analyzer (which is calibrated by the manufacturer annually). In our recertification audit we ran into a minor nonconformance because we do not keep records of calibration/verification (for other items, not just the torque wrenches). We?re clear on how to correct this on our other items, but not for torque wrenches. Do we have to include calibration status for our torque wrenches even though we set them against calibrated equipment before every use?
Your procedure is to "verify at use". So what evidence/records do you have that this is done?

What does verify at use mean?

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Your auditor is incorrect and your process - as described - is good. Your torque mastering device is what gives the results for each torque wrench, and that should be sufficient record. Your auditor is grasping at straws...
I disagree. There is no evidence / record of "verify at use".

Torque wrenches are NOT test and measurement equipment. No records are necessary, directly from them (under 7.6 anyways). The record is derived from the actual measuring device the torque mater. Torque drivers are a process and, as such, should be subject to a capability study - which would provide much more useful records of process capability and, hence control. It's more important to know how capable they are of achieving a torque value than all the records maintained at odd points in time. Believe me on this one - I have experience here...

Big Jim

Super Moderator
Torque wrenches are NOT test and measurement equipment. No records are necessary, directly from them (under 7.6 anyways). The record is derived from the actual measuring device the torque mater. Torque drivers are a process and, as such, should be subject to a capability study - which would provide much more useful records of process capability and, hence control. It's more important to know how capable they are of achieving a torque value than all the records maintained at odd points in time. Believe me on this one - I have experience here...
They truly are measuring tools.

However, it should be stressed, as someone else mentioned, that they may not need calibration in this example.

It all goes back to what the auditor left our in his citation, and should be memorized by EVERYONE that is responsible for calibration.

"Where necessary to ensure valid results . . . "

If it is necessary for valid results, such as when there is a torque spec, they need to be calibrated. If it is not necessary for valid results, THEY DON'T NEED TO BE CALIBRATED.

Where the spec comes from, the customer or the organization doesn't matter.

When you answer the question "When necessary to ensure valid results . . . " you can answer the question as to if calibration is needed or not.

I agree that checking torque calibration daily is way overkill. If that is how you choose to do it, though, you need to keep a record of it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Torque Wrench Calibration Interval Extension with Non-Use? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
W Torque Wrench Calibration question Service Industry Specific Topics 9
L Pneumatic Torque Wrench Calibration Procedure Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
MarilynJ6354 Torque Wrench Calibration Frequency (Calibration Interval) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 38
J Torque Wrench Calibration - Difficult time with repeatable measurements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
K Calibration method for Torque Wrench & AC gas leakage Tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Gauge R&R on pre-set torque wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Preventing Torque Wrench Deterioration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
T why CPK <1.0 regarding two pieces of control charts of torque wrench? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Q Torque Wrench Issue - Incorrect method to collect the "as found data" Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 7
B How to find Uncertainity in a Torque Wrench? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
C Electric Torque and Angle Torque Wrench questions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Attribute Gage R&R on Torque Wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
C Mechanical Torque Wrench MSA (Measurement System Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C Relationship - Break over (click type) torque wrench and short term joint relaxation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Torque Wrench Calibrated with Conditions General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Jerry Eldred MSA (Measurement System Analysis) on Torque Wrench Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
E Gage R&R procedure for Torque Wrench Needed - ISO 6789 and ISO 5394 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B M85049 backshell strain relief screw torque Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Gauge R&R on a torque measurement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
H Can a calibration lab still use ISO 6789:2003 as guide for torque calibrations Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
D Torque fractional unit of measure; cN-m or N-cm? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Special Processes - Technical reason concerning torque - Anaerobic compounds Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
M Gage R&R with large inter part variance - Torque Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Torque Value for Different types of Fasteners (Socket Head, Button Head, CSK) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D How about another torque discussion? Assembly processes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
D Yet another torque question... Assembly processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A Does Torque Gage Need Validation? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
C AIAG's IATF 16949 section 7.1.5.1.1 - Torque MSA Requirement Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
M Chrysler is requesting a "Torque Strategy" for all Fastener Joints FMEA and Control Plans 7
T Adding an adapter to a Torque Meter to change the Range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
J Pneumatic & Electrical Torque Tool - Calibration/Verification of 'Power Tools' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B How to do an MSA on an Automated Torque / Angle System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D Standard torque values for threaded fasteners AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
sonflowerinwales Torque of nuts and bolts, which one should you use? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
J Calibration Merry Go Round - Torque Wrenches and Testers Calibration Frequency (Interval) 13
I Torque-Tension Testing on Automotive Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
K MSA for Torque Dynamometer in Stepping Motor Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
B Digital Torque Meter Gage R&R General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S Which Torque Meter do I choose based on CpK studies ? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
Q Need help on MSA study on a torque analyzer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
J How to measure Loosening and Tightening Torque (VDA 5 - MSA) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
Proud Liberal Torque Measurement Around A Rivet Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
R Torque Tester Calibration Traceability and Certificate question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
I Should we immediately have recalibrated our Digital Torque Gauge? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
W Measuring the Dial Torque of Plastic Insulin Pen devices Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
B Computing Failure Torque for Helicoil Threads in 6061-T6 Aluminum Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
D How to conduct a Gage R&R on DC Tools to Torque Bolts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Motor Stall Torque Failure after Changing Supply of Cyclindrical Gears Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M How to perform a Gage R&R on Torque Wrenches Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3