Total number of Requirements for ISO 9001:2008 vs. ISO 9001:2015

M

Matrix45

Trying to ascertain the workload required to change to the new standard.
Please advise the total number of requirements for ISO 9001:2008 and the total for ISO 9001: 2015.
Also ,AS 9100D-2016 has 106 more requirements than the ISO 9001:2015 standard - Please advise

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
This is a useless exercise mainly because "requirement's" are different between different organizations and the value they place on their QMS

Don't waste time ($) doing this, just compare what you have to what you need and fill in the holes....You may have to change nothing at all

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is a useless exercise mainly because "requirement's" are different between different organizations and the value they place on their QMS

Don't waste time ($) doing this, just compare what you have to what you need and fill in the holes....You may have to change nothing at all
LOL - I remember going through and highlighting all the "shall"s in yellow back in the late 90's in an internal auditor class.

M

Matrix45

Thanks Randy. There are many changes to the new standards and although the transition is simple I need somehow to convince the stakeholders of the organisation the work that is involved. It's no use just identifying the requirements that we are currently working to against the new changes. There are huge changes and even more so in AS 9100 such as the aligning the QMS with the business strategy. Risk assessment throughout, product safety, counterfeit, knowledge management etc . I need at least be a bit more specific....

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Thanks Randy. There are many changes to the new standards and although the transition is simple I need somehow to convince the stakeholders of the organisation the work that is involved. It's no use just identifying the requirements that we are currently working to against the new changes. There are huge changes and even more so in AS 9100 such as the aligning the QMS with the business strategy. Risk assessment throughout, product safety, counterfeit, knowledge management etc . I need at least be a bit more specific....
I would hope that the prospect of aligning the QMS with the business strategy would not require a lot of work or convincing. What have you been doing in your QMS that does not support business strategy (which I am guessing is to supply good and affordable product/service, and make a profit in doing so)?

Chances are good you are already doing most of the things that are different. I find most people just need to learn to take credit for the good things they already do - risk has been a part of our lives in business for a long time.

Does your top management have a business plan? If so, you may not have seen it yet but it probably identifies interested parties.

Does your organization have a business contingency plan for disruptions? If so, you have probably already considered internal and external issues, risks and taken steps to address them.

Randy is right - so much of the rest really has not changed. The language has changed.

M

Matrix45

Folks- I don't need expert advice about implementing standards or what needs to be done. I am merely trying to ascertain the total number of requirements (irrespective if they vary between organisations or whether they are "shall" etc.). Surely there must be a number out there :)

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
To me the answer to the question is "what do you want it to be?" There are too many different ways to count the requirements. For example, look at ISO 9001:2015 clause 8.5.5:
8.5.5 Post-delivery activities
The organization shall meet requirements for post-delivery activities associated with the products and services.
In determining the extent of post-delivery activities that are required, the organization shall consider:
a) statutory and regulatory requirements;
b) the potential undesired consequences associated with its products and services;
c) the nature, use and intended lifetime of its products and services;
d) customer requirements;
e) customer feedback.
I count two shalls. Does that mean there are two requirements? Or do I expand it out and count one shall for each of the letters below the second shall because there are five things to consider and call it six requirements in the clause? But a) and c) each have multiple items, so is it nine requirements? :confused:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Can I use ANSI/AQL for the Total Number of Containers for the entire Lot? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Ajit Basrur Air Changes Calculator which calculates total number of Air Changes in Cleanroom ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A How to figure the total number of defects for a population - Statistical question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
D Inspector Efficiency - Total hours spent divided into total number of finals complete Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
B Total Productive Maintenance - Company Transport IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Gage R&R Acceptable (10-30%), deduct Total Variation from Tolerance Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
J Implementation of Total Quality Management/Starting a Quality Department Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
K IATF16949 8.5.1.5 Total Productive Maintenance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B IATF 16949 Section 8.5.1.5 (Total Productive Maintenance) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
P Total Variation in Data - Overall Importance of the Principal Components Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
J One third of the total audit days on manufacturing (TS 16949) General Auditing Discussions 2
M Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
F What is the scope for "Total Numbers of Employees on site" per ISO/TS 16949 ? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Marc Total Lunar Eclipse Visible in North America - 15 April 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
I Supplier Selection based on Total Cost question Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
B Total Resolution of an Measurement Instrument Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D Pls hlep me understand the "Total Anaerobic Plate Count" Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
G How can Total Quality help a company or business compete in the world market? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
M How many documents total do you currently have? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
5 Reasonable GRR result for a 0-1" micrometer with a total tolerance of .002" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
C A total newbie to AS 9101 needs general help AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
B Total Productive Maintenance Templates to Drive TPM Forward Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
N Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) Portuguese Definitions and Terms Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
V Differences between Business Process Reengineering (BPR) and Total Quality Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
Z KPI Formula Issue - "Change Requests Managed" = Changed/Total ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
optomist1 Circular Runout vs. Total Runout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S Ppk & Cpk - Within Subgroup Variation is always smaller than Total Variation Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 18
optomist1 Circular or Total Runout Gears and Splines? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
Q Inspecting Total Runout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
P Uncertainty Measurement for Colour, Odour, Taste, Turbidity, Total Suspended Solids Calibration Frequency (Interval) 2
A %Total Variation & %Tolerance - Differences in Gage R&R Forms and Templates Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
S Determining the Total Sample Size using AQL - AQL Lot Quantity question AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
D TQM (Total Quality Management) Diagram Software Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
R Total Quality Management (TQM) in the Aerospace Industry AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A TQPC (Total Quality Process Control) for Injection Molding Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
C ASQ Quality Management Journal Vol. 17 Total Quality Management (TQM) Comments Wanted Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 8
N ISO 9001 and the HR Function - Developing a Total Quality Management System for HR ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
K Where to obtain General Concepts of Total Organic Carbon (TOC) testing information? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
R Total Tolerance Method vs. Total Variation Method - Measurement System Analysis Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Mojonnier method (determining fat and total solids) validation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
K Quality Assurance Clinical Research Auditor - Masters in Total Quality Management Career and Occupation Discussions 3
R TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) Reference Books Suggestions Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 3
M Top Three Reasons why TPM (Total Productive Maintenance) Initiatives Fail Manufacturing and Related Processes 39
N Journey towards total quality and Optimal results Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
L Total Quality Management System Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
M Total Variation Formula - Can someone provide a source for this formula Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
bobdoering Total Variance Equation and process capability Imported Legacy Blogs 4
A How do I set up a PPM with Total pcs shipped vs. Total Scrap for the month Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
T Total Organic Carbon (TOC) testing - USP requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
E Variable Data - Total Percent Nonconforming from Different Nonconformances Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4