Total Quality Management (TQM) - We upgraded from QS-9000 to 16949, 14001, and 17025

C

CINDY

Total Quality Management

Our total quality system (upgraded from QS), includes 16949, 14001, and 17025 for an accredited testing lab.

We just completed our pre-audit for 17025, and still have 16949 and 14001 to go.

It has been six long months in the works.

We are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Although we are doing well, I think we will come up short with environmental measurements. Can anyone suggest good measurable that we can actually measure.

You should know that we cannot measure waste, power or material usage.

We are measureing our reportable injuries against national, state, and sic code. Currently that is all we are measuring. Even industrial waste (oils and coolants) is not a good measurable for us. our market and job specifications change so fast we could never keep up.

Thanks
Cindy

Hi Cindy,

Wow... Sounds like you've been busy?

Anyway, about environmental measurements: What are your most significant environmental aspects? I suppose that's where you ought to start?

/Claes

C

CINDY

Employee safety and health is our most significat aspect within our control.

We have all the lackout/tagout, hazardous communications, MSDS, Spill Prevention plan, Storm Water Pollution Prevention plan, Fire Safety, Safety Audits, etc.

We have had an outside company come in to perform a mock OSHA inspection. We offer free training to all employees for CPR, and perform internal training for Occupational Health and Safety.

We recycle our metal waste and waste oil. Dispose of electronic waste by recycling and proper disposal as well, and have a good machine maintenance program.

It just seems that monitoring safety and injury rates is not enough.

I am leaving something significant out.

C

Cathy

Hi Cindy,

I'm not familiar with environmental policies in the USA, but in Europe, there is a directive coming in for waste management.

I know you said that you cannot measure waste. If you are recycling surely there is something measurable, eg, the total weight of materials going for recycling against the weight of incoming, disposable, non-product/service related material. You would not need to weigh your waste every time, just take a sample, eg on bag of cardboard boxes equals X kg.

Is noise pollution a significant aspect of your business? if so there are aspects of this that can be reduced and controlled. I'm probably coming up which things you have already thought, but justing trying to help :confused: We are currenly going for 14001 and these are some of the things we have done.

Your oil and coolant waste could be a measureable. I know you said that it would not be a good measureable. Do you mean that you cannot measure it to the nearest ml or L. In some cases you will not have to measure to the nearest drop, all as you can demonstrate that you are monitoring as best as you can. As long as you have some sort on handle on this waste. You can have an environmental objective to look at best measurement techniques etc.

I am probably going over ground you have covered. Just remember there is some room for manouver as you are within legal limits. :bigwave:

C

CINDY

Cathy,

As far as our waste is concerned, we recycle all used oil (more like dirty water), none of it ends up in a land fill. We only use environmentally safe or less hazardous products so our levels average under 300 ppm.

We recycle our metal (chips and tooling), the amount of material used varies on product and we may have 50 projects going on at once. We monitor scrap and nonconforming material and improve on scrap rates. There is too much receiving material (raw stock) to try to measure against recycled chips.

Our noise levels are well within range and we document the testing.

We have environmental friendly lighting and installed transformers for smother energy.

We have updated computers and office machines that are energy star rated.

So, you see my problem.

Cindy

LMO

Quality
CINDY,

The enviromental management system that I was part of implementing.

Even thorugh you are recycling all oil used. Make it a measureable to stay at 100% and track it. Even thorugh non of it ends up in the land fill. Track ppm of waste water and set a goal to improve yearly by 0.5% or 1%. Whatever you can do!

All that ISO 14000 requires you to do is to prove that you meet local, state and federal regulations that you fall under. Just track track these hazardous and non-hazardous materials for your management meetings. Your organization decides how much better then any regulations that you want to be.

Use this data to show how much of your scrap is being recycled and set a goal for next year.
"We recycle our metal (chips and tooling), the amount of material used varies on product and we may have 50 projects going on at once. We monitor scrap and nonconforming material and improve on scrap rates. There is too much receiving material (raw stock) to try to measure against recycled chips."

Here again you have the data, track it and set an improvement goal for next year!

Our noise levels are well within range and we document the testing.

Just meet continuous improvement for this year, what about next year?

We have environmental friendly lighting and installed transformers for smother energy.

Is someone tracking the elctric bill to show a decrease in usage based on the new euipment. (We did. We made everyone trun their computers off when they went home and track the electrical usage decrease.) We set a dollar amount of $5000.00. Just a one time deal but we got the credit.

"We have updated computers and office machines that are energy star rated. "

What have you added for new equipment purchases. Not sure of your industry, but new manufacturing equiupment should require suppliers to improve on noise, electrical usage, safety etc, as a requirement for quoting. If you do not push them to improve in these areas, no one will.

You have a lot of data now that you can track. Even if it is just making sure at 100% of something (Oil, metal scrap) is recycled. Take credit. Not every measurable has to be new.

Only pick a reasonable amount of items to track. What makes since for your organization.

Chuck

C

CINDY

I guess you are right. It just seems there is little to improve on and I am not looking at opportunities in place. I think I am looking for opportunities that are not there.

Thanks,

Cindy

LMO

Quality
Cindy, :bigwave:

You are doing just fine. Take a deep breath. Use the opportunities that are in place. Through internal audits and continual improvements you will find new ones and remove old olds.

Originally posted by CINDY
I guess you are right. It just seems there is little to improve on and I am not looking at opportunities in place. I think I am looking for opportunities that are not there.

Best of luck,

If I can help in any way, just let me know.

Chuck :cool:

G

Greg B

I think you might have a good system!!!

Originally posted by CINDY

Thanks,

Cindy

Cindy,

I think your problem is that you have in place an excellent working system. Would your company be in the same place if it had not adopted these systems???
Our system has also seems to have plateued as we have continuually improved our processes. We recently won a national environmental award for our land rehabilitation at our mine site and have been upgraded to 9K2K. We find it tough to find any new CIs but we are always on the look out. Just keep doing what you are doing. Don't go looking for something that may not be there!!! Keep up the good work.

Greg B

C

CINDY

Greg B

Actually, we adopted the environmental system this year. I am lucky to work for a company that has always been responsible. When we first discussed committing to 14001, I commented that they already have the systems in place, it was just not documented. We have had to do some changes, but for the most part, 14001 has been the easiest part of my job. I see it as something so easy is not good.

The best CI we have is adding a drain system to our chip bins to recoup coolant. Sounds small. But as it turns out, a few months later, we noticed coolant leaking form the chip trailer outside during the spring thaw. This problem will not happen again because of the drainage system now in place. We average 1 gallon of recyclable coolant per chip bin. We have 5 chip bins in the shop which are emptied into the chip trailer each week.

We are a small manufacturing shop with no hazardous chemicals.

Part of me envy's those like you that can really make a difference.

Top Bottom