Toyota drags down new-vehicle quality average

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Admin
I don't believe a word J.D. Power says so to me it's a non-issue.

My assumption (without having read the article yet) is that this is relative only to the US market.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I don't believe a word J.D. Power says so to me it's a non-issue.

My assumption (without having read the article yet) is that this is relative only to the US market.
Marc,

What automotive satisfaction statistics do you trust?

Stijloor.

Marc

Leader
Admin
I guess I just watch what's happening month by month. There's not much I'm interested in tracking closely in automotive these days. It's not my 'bread and butter' as it was some years back. I only commented because so many people cite JD Powers and I don't trust their reviews. Just putting my negative 2 cents in :notme:

I read your post and it was what I guess I knew from watching things. Toyota had a heck of a hit with the acceleration issue publicity (whether deserved or not) and with the spotlight on Toyota other issues are coming out so, like with BP, the Toyota brand is broken (at least for a while). As to Ford, they were the only US company that 'made it' through the big financial crash and they have been getting good reviews in general. I'm not a Ford fan, but I think they make good cars and trucks. I own a 2004 Bonneville GXP and my car before that was a 1995 Bonneville SSEi. They're OK but the best car I ever had was a Mazda. In general Bonnevilles were not very well built cars. So - I'm not a GM fan either. Tracey has a Ford pickup. It's a little blue one. I think it's a 2000 model year (I forget the name, but it's a short bed small pickup truck) and I like it (the handle to lower/open the rear gate broke off about a week or two ago...).

I was 'talked into' the 1995 Bonneville by a friend who was (is) a Bonneville nut because I drove so much and that Mazda 626 (turbocharged, no less - Man, it was *fast/quick*) was like a sports car - 9 to 12 hours in the drivers seat and you got out and felt numb all over. That 1995 Bonnie was like driving a fast couch. I bought the 2004 Bonnie from a friend (somewhat as a favour) who couldn't afford the payments (he was hit hard in the financial meltdown) . It's not as comfortable as the 1995, nor quite as fast (read quick when you mash the gas petal), but it's comfortable on long drives. I don't get out with a numb behind and numb fingers and hands.

Well, enough of my babbling on.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I posted the article, but I am a Toyota fan.
Some of my Fellow Moderators know.. ;)

Since I came to the US in 1981, I have given every US OEM a chance.
In the last one, I shall not name the company, my wife and my daughter experienced a serious car fire.

Obviously, I changed my mind and purchased my first Toyota vehicle (Camry).
The rest is history.. Toyota has never disappointed me.

Stijloor.

S

somerqc

I grew up in an automotive town (Windsor, Ontario, Canada - across the border from Detroit). I was big on the Detroit 3 as they indirectly paid for my schooling (my dad was in tool & die). However, when it came to it being my money to pay for a car.....I have never bought Detroit 3 (almost 15 yrs now).

I realize that Toyota had a problem, but, so did Chrysler (they just recalled 100,000+ neons and Calibers for a related issue). In addition, some other car makers quietly made a changes to their designs. My take is that everyone was using similar technology but Toyota got burned.

Let's face it. There really isn't a good source in the media regarding cars. They are all skewed one way or another based on politics and who pays for advertising. I even question Consumer Reports as I see a great deal of bias there as well (actually in a pro-Japanese way).

We all buy based on our experience in the past. For me, I haven't been burned by buying Japanese - and I have been burned by Detroit 3.

Btw Marc - currently driving 2 Mazda's and love the drive. Ya - Ya - Mazda is Ford...in one case yes - on the other no - all designed and produced in Japan.

R

ralphsulser

I'm on my 3rd Jeep, 2 Cherokees and now a Commander, and also a 2009 Ford F-150 ext cab. Both great so far. Can't get the pickup away from my wife.
Bought a new 2003 Chrysler T&C, mucho tranny problems. Before that a Chevy van. Always something going wrong with it. I had 2 Ford Taurus'
back to back and both were fine.

Marc

Leader
Admin
<snip> Btw Marc - currently driving 2 Mazda's and love the drive. Ya - Ya - Mazda is Ford...in one case yes - on the other no - all designed and produced in Japan.
The 626 I had was a turbo-charged 'special edition' 626 with a 200 watt stereo system (and goodies like adjustable suspension (electric shocks) made in 1989. It was a 5 speed manual shift. I don't know what relationship Ford had with Mazda at that time (if any), but I do know that was one of the best driving, maintenance free cars I have ever had. It left here with 275K miles on it and in all the years I had it I never had a major repair and it didn't so much as burn a drop of oil. In fact, it sat in the side yard for 1 1/2 years without being started before I decided to get rid of it and the guy who bought it jump started it with a battery, it started up right away and he drove it away.

BradM

Leader
Admin
:yes::yes:

Which surprised me to see you posted the article. Very open-minded.:agree1:

Vehicle quality seems like an awfully difficult metric to objectively measure. I think that overall vehicle sales should be a top indicator.

I have had five Nissan vehicles, and have been fairly satisfied with them all.

My next purchase (unless I hit the lottery) will be a Nissan.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

Since I came to the US in 1981, I have given every US OEM a chance.
In the last one, I shall not name the company, my wife and my daughter experienced a serious car fire.

Obviously, I changed my mind and purchased my first Toyota vehicle (Camry).
The rest is history.. Toyota has never disappointed me.

Stijloor.
That took me by surprise!? Not only moderators but fellow covers also know this, as is visible from some of your posts. I am also a Toyota fan and believe that Toyota will resurface (from temperory set back) as a leader of quality car manufacturer.

Umang :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Searching for TOYOTA Floor Management Development System (FMDS) board Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
B Toyota PPAP Process - Three Questions APQP and PPAP 5
B Does Toyota utilize IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Toyota doesn’t use Six Sigma Six Sigma 1
C A couple CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) questions... Esp. Ford & Toyota Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
D TS16949 Annex A versus Toyota MQC's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Stijloor Toyota recalls more than 6 million vehicles. World News 5
S Toyota PPAP Information Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
L Christmas Toyota Accelerator Problem Settlement for the New Year! World News 9
P What is the last revision of Toyota SQAM (Supplier Quality Assurance Manual)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
R Does anyone have the list of Toyota PPAP requirements? APQP and PPAP 6
B Toyota FMDS (Floor Management Developmental System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
J New Toyota Supplier Quality Manual is on the Toyota Web Site Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
L Rise and fall of Toyota - sourcing information for a presentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
F Toyota A3 Practical Problem Solving (PPS) Document Needed Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Stijloor Toyota to extend development time to ensure quality World News 0
Stijloor Toyota Supplier Quality Assurance Manual (SQAM) is revised - April 2010 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
Marc Criminal probe launched into Toyota's safety problems World News 25
Marc What are Toyota's idled U.S. workers doing? World News 4
L Toyota Recall - What caused the issue with the accelerator? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 53
Marc Toyota Halts U.S. Sales of 8 Recalled Models World News 16
A Toyota will recall 3.8 million vehicles in the United States World News 0
Stijloor Toyota SQAM Issue 4K, August, 2009 Now Available. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
1 TS16949 vs. TPS (Toyota Production System) - Explaining the differences IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J Toyota's quality planning and quality management system documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
bobdoering Survey:Toyota loses luster with suppliers-Ford has made strides in supplier relations World News 7
Stijloor How Toyota fell so spectacularly World News 0
Marc Toyota Cuts Production Goal to 7-Year Low World News 1
bobdoering Toyota forecasts $8.6B loss, says 1 million sales will vanish World News 2
A Toyota may ask for $2 billion in loans World News 0
A Toyota cost-cutting program World News 1
bobdoering Toyota Expects Losses To Triple World News 6
A Toyota to Recall More Than 1.35 Million Cars World News 0
Marc Car Slump Jolts Toyota, Halting 70 Years of Gain World News 3
bobdoering Isuzu, Toyota Put Clean Diesel Engine Project On Hold. World News 1
bobdoering Toyota halts U.S. Prius project World News 0
Stijloor Stung Toyota cuts production deeper in N.A. World News 17
Q Searching for TOYOTA product development system (Toyota Production System) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
Sidney Vianna Toyota's winglet - leaner version of the Segway Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
B Toyota supplier portal? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
D Production Process in Ceramics - Toyota Production System Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
Stijloor Toyota eyes new batteries, engines. World News 2
Stijloor Toyota ousts Ford as No. 2 US automaker World News 3
M Toyota Supplier "Pulse Rate" Evaluation - Is this document part of the Toyota SQAM? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
A Toyota Weld Specification TSH5603G needed Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
N Why has Toyota won Market Share from General Motors? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 12
Stijloor Toyota is Slipping, Consumer Reports Says Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
Q Problem Analysis / Problem Solving - Toyota A3 Method Forms Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
W Labor Woes at Toyota Outlined World News 27
W Stretched by growth, Toyota evolves to Plan B World News 0