Toyota Recall - What caused the issue with the accelerator?

L

Laser

Anyone know what caused the issue with the accelerator? Is it a design issue or a manufacturing failure?

Thank you.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Proud Liberal

Quite Involved in Discussions
The media reported that Toyota was working on the theory that it was a combination of the effect of water on the materials used plus wear & tear in the mechanism. Who knows if that's right. They also named the supplier of the failing component. It sounds like a design flaw.

Based on my experiences working with Toyota's engineering and production people, their engineers do NOT perform tolerance stack analysis on their assemblies. I've been responsible for manufacturing various components and them assembling them only to find that component parts made to print would assemble to an out-of-tolerance assembly. When confronted with the obvious tolerancing issue, their engineers said that "manufacturing was responsible for making the parts work".

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The media reported that Toyota was working on the theory that it was a combination of the effect of water on the materials used plus wear & tear in the mechanism. Who knows if that's right. They also named the supplier of the failing component. It sounds like a design flaw.

Based on my experiences working with Toyota's engineering and production people, their engineers do NOT perform tolerance stack analysis on their assemblies. I've been responsible for manufacturing various components and them assembling them only to find that component parts made to print would assemble to an out-of-tolerance assembly. When confronted with the obvious tolerancing issue, their engineers said that "manufacturing was responsible for making the parts work".
Sounds like some Toyota engineers graduated from the Big Three School of Advanced Scapegoating. :tg:

B

Bill Goss

Whatever it is, immediate containment is necessary and a root cause determined in short time. Recalling cars to shops that don't know what to do with them once they are there would be really bad.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Friends,

Please stick with the facts and quit wild guessing based on hearsay and innuendo.

I also must tell you that I am biased because our family is a very loyal Toyota customer for many, many years. Toyota (and their Lexus brand) has never disappointed us. Toyota will emerge even better than before and will continue to kick other auto companies a$$es.

Stijloor.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hot from the press....

From Automotive News.

Toyota's pedal supplier says it has a fix, is ramping up output....

DETROIT -- The supplier that made the pedal modules fingered in a massive recall of Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles said today that it has a fix and is stepping up production at three factories to get new parts to Toyota's plants.

The parts maker also is working with Toyota on a fix for cars already on the road, the supplier's CEO said.

Testing by Toyota and supplier CTS Corp., of Elkhart, Ind., identified condensation-related problems as the cause of the automaker's sticky accelerators, which can cause the gas pedal to return too slowly to its original position or even, with age, to get stuck.

CEO Vinod Khilnani said the new pedal that CTS is building takes care of the condensation problem. “We believe that is the reason for the slow return,” he said in an earnings call today with analysts and the news media.

Khilnani said Toyota and CTS are working to develop a “sleeve” to fix possible problems on Toyota vehicles on the road.

CTS also is building a redesigned pedal that will go to Toyota factories for installation on new cars. CTS will ramp up production and add additional capacity at its three plants.

Calls to Toyota spokesmen weren't immediately returned.

In the wake of its Jan. 21 recall of 2.3 million vehicles, Toyota said it would suspend sales of the eight affected models. In addition, production of those models will be halted the week of Feb. 1.

“All three sites are producing the new pedal,” Khilnani said. “We always have some excess capacity, but because Toyota wants to replace [the parts] as quickly as possible, we're putting additional production lines to ramp up faster-than-normal production.”

He said his company's accelerator-module sensor had “nothing” to do with the problem. Said Khilnani: “It is a mechanical issue driven by the design and unique to Toyota.”

CTS is one of two suppliers that build pedals for models involved in Toyota's recall. Parts made by Denso Corp. for vehicles built in Japan aren't at issue.

M

mguilbert

I agree with Stijloor. Toyota still has the most reliable and energy efficient fleet. My 1994 Toyota is still running strong were as my 1995 GM is a dead piece of scrap metal. I wouldn't take the $1000 to trade in a Yota for a GM. It is still about $1500 less than the deal that was offered last year. As far as the problem, as an outsider I have no comment other than the one I have already stated. Probalby not the car mats.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
I agree with Stijloor. Toyota still has the most reliable and energy efficient fleet. My 1994 Toyota is still running strong were as my 1995 GM is a dead piece of scrape metal. I wouldn't take the $1000 to trade in a Yota for a GM. It is still about $1500 less than the deal that was offered last year. As far as the problem, as an outsider I have no comment other than the one I have already stated. Probably not the car mats.
See my post above...

Stijloor.

Doug Tropf

Quite Involved in Discussions
A little of topic perhaps but I understand there have been some tragic accidents due to the malfunction. I wonder why the driver didn't just place the vehicle in neutral when the problem started - panic maybe?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Toyota will recall 3.8 million vehicles in the United States World News 0
A Toyota to Recall More Than 1.35 Million Cars World News 0
Marc A dent in Toyota Quality - The Growing Toyota Recall Problems World News 9
W Toyota Issues Recall - Problems with the front suspension World News 5
S Searching for TOYOTA Floor Management Development System (FMDS) board Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
B Toyota PPAP Process - Three Questions APQP and PPAP 5
B Does Toyota utilize IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
L Toyota doesn’t use Six Sigma Six Sigma 1
C A couple CSR (Customer Specific Requirements) questions... Esp. Ford & Toyota Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
D TS16949 Annex A versus Toyota MQC's IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
Stijloor Toyota recalls more than 6 million vehicles. World News 5
S Toyota PPAP Information Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
L Christmas Toyota Accelerator Problem Settlement for the New Year! World News 9
P What is the last revision of Toyota SQAM (Supplier Quality Assurance Manual)? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
R Does anyone have the list of Toyota PPAP requirements? APQP and PPAP 6
B Toyota FMDS (Floor Management Developmental System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
J New Toyota Supplier Quality Manual is on the Toyota Web Site Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
L Rise and fall of Toyota - sourcing information for a presentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
F Toyota A3 Practical Problem Solving (PPS) Document Needed Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Stijloor Toyota to extend development time to ensure quality World News 0
Stijloor Toyota drags down new-vehicle quality average World News 9
Stijloor Toyota Supplier Quality Assurance Manual (SQAM) is revised - April 2010 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
Marc Criminal probe launched into Toyota's safety problems World News 25
Marc What are Toyota's idled U.S. workers doing? World News 4
Marc Toyota Halts U.S. Sales of 8 Recalled Models World News 16
Stijloor Toyota SQAM Issue 4K, August, 2009 Now Available. Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
1 TS16949 vs. TPS (Toyota Production System) - Explaining the differences IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J Toyota's quality planning and quality management system documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
bobdoering Survey:Toyota loses luster with suppliers-Ford has made strides in supplier relations World News 7
Stijloor How Toyota fell so spectacularly World News 0
Marc Toyota Cuts Production Goal to 7-Year Low World News 1
bobdoering Toyota forecasts $8.6B loss, says 1 million sales will vanish World News 2
A Toyota may ask for $2 billion in loans World News 0
A Toyota cost-cutting program World News 1
bobdoering Toyota Expects Losses To Triple World News 6
Marc Car Slump Jolts Toyota, Halting 70 Years of Gain World News 3
bobdoering Isuzu, Toyota Put Clean Diesel Engine Project On Hold. World News 1
bobdoering Toyota halts U.S. Prius project World News 0
Stijloor Stung Toyota cuts production deeper in N.A. World News 17
Q Searching for TOYOTA product development system (Toyota Production System) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 9
Sidney Vianna Toyota's winglet - leaner version of the Segway Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
B Toyota supplier portal? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
D Production Process in Ceramics - Toyota Production System Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 3
Stijloor Toyota eyes new batteries, engines. World News 2
Stijloor Toyota ousts Ford as No. 2 US automaker World News 3
M Toyota Supplier "Pulse Rate" Evaluation - Is this document part of the Toyota SQAM? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 4
A Toyota Weld Specification TSH5603G needed Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
N Why has Toyota won Market Share from General Motors? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 12
Stijloor Toyota is Slipping, Consumer Reports Says Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
Q Problem Analysis / Problem Solving - Toyota A3 Method Forms Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1