Tracking External Oversight at a large Naval Shipyard

M

Mnts2C

Hello,

I recently joined quality management at a large naval shipyard (>13,000). Along with plenty of decentralized internal oversight, there is a good amount of external oversight. This includes: headquarters, EPA, defense contracting, GAO, energy, financials, DOT, Inspector General, nuclear power, local entities, more than 25 a year.

Throughout the shipyard, various organizations host the external audits and resolve the discrepancies via their chain of command. However, there is not a process that consolidates them all. Quite a few stove pipes.

We do have an internal tracking system that is available to all. Though the tracking system can be used, that information can be stove piped. We do have analysts that can trend the data, but again stove piped. We have a monthly quality meeting with senior leadership, but its not the ideal.

I'm asking for recommendations on how to track and trend all the external oversights in a manner that avoids stove pipes and provides good data for senior leadership to manage. I have an idea or two, but I know the Cove is the right place to ask this question with all the experience of the people here.

Thanks in advance.

R/ Mnts2C

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
How about a compliance calendar? I will attach something I am working on. It is for environmental management systems, but the structure can work and you can tweak the tools here to suit your needs.

Attachments

• Risk Based EMS Planner.xlsm
    1.1 MB · Views: 852
Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
It seems to me, based on your description of the situation, that the real problem has nothing to do with the tracking of external oversight, but, and instead, a centralized system for corrective (and preventive ;)) actions. Feedback provided by internal and external parties needs to be evaluated from a systems perspective and acted upon in an organization-wide effort; otherwise the pipe shop might be incurring in the same mistake that was identified 6 months ago in the superstructure assembly line or the electrical outfitting department. Suboptimization of a highly effective corrective action system is a huge waste.

If you are dealing with classified projects and data can not flow freely from project to project there are still many ways where sanitized data can be analysed and acted upon in a systems-wide basis.

You seem to be the "victim" of a highly silo'ed organizational culture where both management and (unionized?) workforce can't see the forest for the steel plates.

Last edited:
M

Mnts2C

Sidney,
You hit the nail on the head. The organization is mature, but because it is the government, silos exist, personalities hinder concerted system thinking, and we have various pieces of a CAPA effort spread over different documents.

I have noticed the lack of a centralized CAPA program and would like to know how one might be created for an organization as big and slow as ours.

Jen,
Thanks for the inspiration with Excel. Once I understand how it functions, I could ask a SharePoint guru to create an equivalent that could support a larger CAPA effort.

Thank you both very much.

R/ Mnts2C

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Sidney,
You hit the nail on the head. The organization is mature, but because it is the government, silos exist, personalities hinder concerted system thinking, and we have various pieces of a CAPA effort spread over different documents.

I have noticed the lack of a centralized CAPA program and would like to know how one might be created for an organization as big and slow as ours.

Jen,
Thanks for the inspiration with Excel. Once I understand how it functions, I could ask a SharePoint guru to create an equivalent that could support a larger CAPA effort.

Thank you both very much.

R/ Mnts2C
I made a Risk-based NC Tracking Log, in case it is more useful. It tracks issues among various groups.

M

Mnts2C

Thanks so much Jen, you help make the Cove a great place !!

R/ Mnts2C

M

Mnts2C

Ah, thanks Randy. We do have a few groups that oversight various parts of that area. Sticking my toe in the those waters, I came away with the impression that the oversight is similar to the Old West; not very mature and sort of lawless. Our work never ends.

R/ Mnts2C

Top Bottom