Tracking Procedure Revisions (Document Control)

QualiTEE

Involved In Discussions
How do you track revisions to written Procedures? The company has been certified since 1999, and each written procedure had each and every revision level + each and every change detailed in a "Revision History" section of the Procedure. The revision history was sometimes longer than the Procedure itself.

Do you just list the revision level on the document and then keep track of the history on a separately (no rev history on the written procedure)? Do you detail only the current revision level on the current Procedure?

Do you have to detail any of the actual changes if you keep electronic copies of all previous revisions to the document?

Also, how detailed do you get? Example: "Section II: Updated Responsibility from Manufacturing Dept to Quality Dept" or "Section II: Updated Responsibility".

Last edited:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
All of this is a matter of choice, for the most part. I've always found it best to keep a register of current revisions and changes and not add revision details to the documents themselves. I think it is important in most cases to have a record of changes such that one can tell who changed something and why it was changed.

QualiTEE

Involved In Discussions
Just curious on something... clearly you want the current revision level shown on the written procedure. Do you include the revision date, or do you list the date on the register only?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Just curious on something... clearly you want the current revision level shown on the written procedure. Do you include the revision date, or do you list the date on the register only?
The revision level should be shown on the document, just not all of the other details, unless that's the way you choose to do it.

Ryan_Banks

Registered
We do keep track of the changes made on the content of the draft itself. It would be pratical to summarize it all in one document and provide rationalize as to why it warrants updates/changes esp when it requires appropriate approval so to speak

L.Soad

Involved In Discussions
I'm stealing this post for a complementary question.

To what level of details should the change be documented ?
Is « chapter 7.5 modified to allow for the use of the new XXX tool » (with date and author of the changes) not detailed enough? We keep all of our older revisions so its not that hard to find out what has changed. Thanks

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I'm stealing this post for a complementary question.

To what level of details should the change be documented ?
Is « chapter 7.5 modified to allow for the use of the new XXX tool » (with date and author of the changes) not detailed enough? We keep all of our older revisions so its not that hard to find out what has changed. Thanks
In your example we can see what changed and why the change was made, so that should be enough. Too often the rationale for changes is omitted.

QualiTEE

Involved In Discussions
... I've always found it best to keep a register of current revisions and changes and not add revision details to the documents themselves. I think it is important in most cases to have a record of changes such that one can tell who changed something and why it was changed.

Would you happen to have a copy of your register? Do you use Excel and keep a separate tab for each Procedure? Do you use just one sheet and document any change to any Procedure in the order they occur? Just trying to get some ideas.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Would you happen to have a copy of your register? Do you use Excel and keep a separate tab for each Procedure? Do you use just one sheet and document any change to any Procedure in the order they occur? Just trying to get some ideas.
I'm retired and happy to say that I have no register.

Top Bottom