Traders in the context of sub-contractor development

P

Pat Young

I have been using distributors for a few years and we have always encouraged them to seek certification. The deal is that even though they are "just" a distributor, their quality system can definitely impact your product. For example, FIFO for perishable goods/epoxies, if not properly monitored, the material sent in could be inferior. Additionally, unless your purchase order specifically asks for product, with data, from a specific source, the distributor will have permission to shop around for pricing, and assume that the material is the same. Having them understand and live with the same set of constraints is really helpful.

D

D.Scott

I think we took a fork in the road and got off the original subject. Trying to go back to Andrews original question - does the new requirement apply to all these small suppliers (distributors included)?

What are the rest of you going to do when the deadline arrives? Do you have any small subcontractors who have no intention of getting ISO certification? Do any of you buy from non-industry suppliers or distributors who have no ISO certification? Will you drop them as suppliers?

Does anyone "seperate out" these suppliers as "non-critical" or some other obscure way to exclude them? Are we to turn our backs on the "mom & pops" who we have dealt with for years?

What are the rest of you doing?

Thanks for your input.

Dave

P

Pat Young

I discussed this with 2 separate registrars that we use. Both of them indicated that there is no room for movement. The intention of the latest interpretation is to remove any shadow of a doubt as to what our Supplier Development strategies should look like. Yes distributors are included.

The only room left for interpretation is; if the material is not used in your product you may not have to comply. For example the Mom and Pop fixture houses that we use, we may be able to exempt them.

My plan for the next few months is to poll all my suppliers and to see where this leaves us. Discuss the outcome with the Purchasing department and determine which ones we really can’t let go. Those will get a lot of attention to help convince them and to help them get up to speed if need be. The others, yes they will no longer be used. Some of the consultants have been developing streamlined ISO packages that could get a company registered within a short period of time to ISO.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
> Some of the consultants have been developing streamlined
> ISO packages that could get a company registered within a
> short period of time to ISO.

Which is the scary part.

Top Bottom