Training, a la Japan - If you could get training in Japan, what would it be?

D

David Mullins

I have to go to Japan for "training" for 2 weeks, in a range of topics of my choosing.
I have to come up with the topic list, and asked a colleague what he'd recommend, to which he replied "drink beer and study Japanese women".
Whilst that would make for a colourful trip, it probably wouldn't look that good on my travel itinerary. So if y'all had the chance to go to the home of the rebirth of quality (Japan), what would you want to be "trained" in?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
David, you lucky sod... I'm green with envy.

Ok... What would I want if I got the opportunity? Let's see: I have been a believer in the Kaizen concept since I first heard about it. I'd like to see it in action where it originated.

/Claes

In addition to the above I would be interested in knowing how they can produce a quality product without the aid of ISO9K2K and/or ISO/TS 16949:2002.
How they can put processes together without spending meaning wasted hours discussing "interactions".

N

Nosmo King

Here is more on Japan and a certain warmth towards ISO 9000 --- from an impeccable source: ISO 9000 and Japan

BEGIN
In an article for the ISO 9000 News (Nov./Dec. 1996), Chikafumi Morita, member or the Board of Directors of Japan Quality Assurance Organization, traced growth of ISO 9000 adoption in Japan from 1991 to 1995. By this time 1600 Japanese companies were certified. He wrote "the initial motive compelling Japanese companies to implement the standard was the need to increase their business in Europe".

Then he goes on "nevertheless, more and more companies began to obtain ISO 9000 certificates as word spread from those already certified that it actually strengthened their quality control systems. In fact, the International Standards have also been adopted by companies not participating in overseas markets". He adds "They now see ISO 9000 as a means of achieving domestic goals such as improving their quality systems and upgrading product quality".

In referring to the Japanese experience of companies opening operations overseas, he states "given the importance of quality control systems in determining the success or failure of such companies, those Japanese factories that rely on conventions and informal procedures, instead of a standardized quality control system, tend to suffer from quality problems". He adds, "it is likely that when the ISO 9000 series standards have become a part of the fundamentals of quality control here in Japan, such companies will have no trouble transferring their quality systems to overseas locations".

Under the subtitle of "Japanese-style TQC AND ISO 9000", he writes "during the rebuilding period, we developed and implemented various QC methods known as the "Seven Tools for Quality Control", the "Experimental Design Methods", and so on. These methods enjoyed spectacular success-and none more so than total Quality Control (TQC). This "Internal" approach enables each company to perform quality control in its own way, although customers often have little idea what sort of QC techniques are being used, nor how they operate. In short, QC can be defined as a tool for the benefit of the company, and not necessarily the customer".

He concludes this portion of his article by saying "in contrast, ISO 9000 permits objective assessments of a company's quality system based on International Standards. As such, ISO 9000 can be seen as a tool for the benefit of a company's customers. Yet the two systems, TQC and ISO 9000, complement each other, and a company can establish a powerful quality system by combining the two".

I have picked pieces of the article, but anyone interested in more information on this subject can contact Mr. Chikafumi Morita at Japan Quality Assurance Organization(JQA), Akasaka Twin Tower 4F, 17-22-2-chome, Akasaka, Minato-ku. Tokio 107, Japan. Tel. + 81 3 35 84 91 23. Fax + 81 3 32 24 90 02.
END

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Some good ideas so far. While it might not be available as a "training" class, I'd like to compare and contrast the Japanese worker's life to that in the US, UK, Aussie-land, etc. Stuff like how many hours they work, pay and benefits, education required, company training, employee satisfaction, quality of life, etc. etc.

Jim,
Interesting statistics.
I wander, if they are so involved why is it we haven't heard any commments or suggestions as to the meaning of the types of questions we seem to have here at the cove?
Any thoughts?

E

energy

I have a list, too..Smarty Pants

Jim Wade said:

PS David: consider adding Hoshin Kanri to your list.
david: consider adding the following to your list:

Bulbasaur, Metapod, Nidoran, Psyduck, Mankey, Voltorb, Hitmonlee, Kangaskhan, Goldeen, Staryu, Mewtwo, Pinsir, Ryhdon, Machoke, Nidoking, Blastoise, Venasaur are just a very small percentage of famous names from Japan that have had such an amazing influence on young Americans aspiring for a taste of the good life.

When you are relaxing in that Geisha House after a hard day’s studies, float these names around and watch the looks of amazement and the extra body oil you will receive. Have a nice trip. I too, am envious.

:ko: :smokin:

D

David Mullins

Domo Origato

I have returned from the land of the rising sun.
I have learnt many new things, and quashed a few misconceptions about Japanese Manufacturing Plants and Quality.

Energy: I switched from Pokemon to Yugiyo and Dragonball Z. This increased the oil and beer consumption simultaneously. (consuming the beer, not the oil)

Mike: Plenty to report on Japanese lifestyle, etc. (Most of which they can keep)

Nosmo: They have accelerated straight past ISO and QS and developed their own strains of 6 sigma.

Sam: They have more forms to fill out than the IRS and an accountants convention combined, and for the most minute things.

Atul: No QFD I'm afraid.

Claes: 3 words discribe manufacturing philosophy in Japan: Kaizen, Kaizen & Kaizen.

I'll post my report soon. I just have to edit out all the personal notes like: "more Japanese than you can throw a Minky whale at" and "Japanese love Australian wine, which doesn't explain why their wine tastes like alcoholic fruit juice" and other classics like "The Japanese are absolutely fixated about head. I've been measuring the height of the head on my beer every night, glass after glass, for two weeks now. They appear to be running at a CPK=2"

More to follow...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anonymous16-2 Labelling Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Regulations for Medical Device Kit for Training Personnel? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
N ... and some have greatness thrust upon them - Training for novice QA manager ? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R How to keep track of employee read-only training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Training records and "grandfather" clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Education authority requires approval of all courses - Training services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 - Design & Development for training course center ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) Training Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Dr Training Records - Training doctors to use a PMA approved medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical device CER (clinical evaluation report) training/seminar services EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Addressing training requirements - 21 CFR Part 820.25 (1) & (2) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Z Training Qualification Matrix for ISO 9001:2015 Audit General Auditing Discussions 8
I ISO 9001:2015 - On the Job Training and Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
I What level of change in documentation requires re-training? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
cscalise Determination of CPD (Continuing Professional Development) hours for a training course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
L Training Timeliness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J Your opinion on the better training org for IATF16949 Internal auditor and Lead Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Who champions your internal manufacturing training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
I Training records and levels - When does training NOT need a record? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
I Who owns your Competence, Awareness and Training process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
pbojsen Computerized Learning Management Systems (Training systems) recommendations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Training for AS13000 - Problem Solving Requirements for Suppliers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7
K Power point training slides on DOE (Design of Experiments) Wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2