Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Training and experience - How do I document my experience and training

TPMB4

Quite Involved in Discussions
I've had an unusual career in that I've not had a logical career progress (if there's such a thing). As a result I'm underpaid and undermotivated. I need to change jobs.

The trouble is I've kind of moved between some historically linked companies through work contacts. I've fallen into a quality role. A fast learning process but that wasn't hard. I now have no evidence supporting my experience / knowledge. Two unrelated degrees but nothing specifically quality related.

Looking at a CQI course at practitioner level I realised I have done pretty much everything contained in the course. I just cannot prove it. What's your advise in my situation?

My experience is everything from PPAP (I'm in an automotive company), internal auditing, 5s, documentation such as working instructions, rewriting parts of the QMS, effective QM functions, I've been lead in all matters relating to quality and managed our transition to the current 9001 standard including writing the updated QMS documentation. There's a lot more too.

Now I'm no expert and know I'm competent but weak in areas. I have no idea how to benefit and prove my experience / knowledge other than qualifications.

So I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice. What training should I do? How do I document my experience so I could get a job elsewhere? Any advice really. I'm UK based.

TPMB4

Good idea. I've never recorded things like that. On the job training really isn't formalised here so cpd portfolio system is a good idea. I was thinking of formal qualifications to record this.

TPMB4

Mind you I'm not in the CQI. I wonder if that's worth looking into? Probably is long term but I've never needed it possibly due to the way I moved into a quality role.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Looking at a CQI course at practitioner level I realised I have done pretty much everything contained in the course. I just cannot prove it. What's your advise in my situation?
Given this then all you need to do is pass the exam (take a look at ASQ exams too).

You could also document your abilities, skills and knowledge on your CV (resume) and invite your supervisor to attest to the veracity of each of your claimed attributes (and to your achievements) on LinkedIn.

UncleFester

Involved In Discussions
Something else you could consider is an NVQ - these usually require the candidate to develop a portfolio of evidence together with being able to demonstrate core competences. Try looking for Level 4 Business Improvement NVQs for example. Sorry I've no idea of costs - you may need to search for a local provider too.

Top Bottom