Training - Can I 'grandfather' long time employees?

D
Training

We have created a very exceptional training system in our facility, however it has only been created within the last 6 months. Since then, we have only hired two new people, and they are the only ones who have received this training to date. Can I grandfather everyone else in, stating the date the training goes into effect? We do not have a whole lot of training records to show from the previous. Will we make it through an audit? Sorry to bog you down all at once with so many questions. Our pre-assessment is in two weeks, and I/m getting cold feet....

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
cold feet eh? sounds normal....LOL

Typically I do a sheet for each employee that says they have been assessed and they meet whatever training needs have been identified for their function (can even list them if it adds value)...proven proficieny record I call it. Not a necessity...but makes it clean. It is nothing more than a statement with the name and function signed by the supervisor...a record of grandfathering if you will. E-mail me if you want a copy....its in word format?

Lots of people just use the annual review, personnel files etc. when pushed, but that leaves the confidential HR files open for internal auditors to look at...so this is cleaner.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Dawn,

Trying to remember every training episode for each associate is a near impossible task. Barb is right, target the job functions. What I also do is to place a comment (hopefully you have a Comments section) in their training record stating "Associate is capable of performing all assigned job responsibiities as noted in their Job Description". It is key to mention that their Job Descriptions need to be accurate. If an associate can not meet some of their responsibilities, Registrars may look to see how you have identified these training needs and how you plan to provide them with training (a schedule). Doing it this way achieves the Grandfathering in of previous training with out the grouling task of digging in the past for proof of training. However, going forward, training documentation will need to improve. I would consider my recommendation as a temporary field dressing that will need future attention.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Training records and "grandfather" clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Anonymous16-2 Labelling Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Regulations for Medical Device Kit for Training Personnel? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
N ... and some have greatness thrust upon them - Training for novice QA manager ? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R How to keep track of employee read-only training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S Education authority requires approval of all courses - Training services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 - Design & Development for training course center ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) Training Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Dr Training Records - Training doctors to use a PMA approved medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical device CER (clinical evaluation report) training/seminar services EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Addressing training requirements - 21 CFR Part 820.25 (1) & (2) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Z Training Qualification Matrix for ISO 9001:2015 Audit General Auditing Discussions 8
I ISO 9001:2015 - On the Job Training and Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
I What level of change in documentation requires re-training? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
cscalise Determination of CPD (Continuing Professional Development) hours for a training course Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
L Training Timeliness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J Your opinion on the better training org for IATF16949 Internal auditor and Lead Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A Who champions your internal manufacturing training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
I Training records and levels - When does training NOT need a record? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
I Who owns your Competence, Awareness and Training process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
pbojsen Computerized Learning Management Systems (Training systems) recommendations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Training for AS13000 - Problem Solving Requirements for Suppliers Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
J Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions General Auditing Discussions 7
K Power point training slides on DOE (Design of Experiments) Wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2