Training Competence - Contract Services

M

mguilbert

During our recent certification audit we received a non-conformance I have a question about.
Background:
This facility hires an electrical contracting company to perform our maintenance.
Their employee works full time at our facility.
The employee does not have an electricians lisc.
His employee the contractor does hold an electrical contractors lisc.
We are located in Alabama
Alabama only offers electrical lisc. for contractors or journeymen
The auditor cited the following:
"Alabama

CODE

The codes and standards currently adopted and enforced by the Alabama Building Commission (for Electricians) as state building codes are:
•2008 National Electrical Code
•2006 International Building Code
•2006 International Fire Code

ENFORCEMENT

The codes and standards are enforced by the State of Alabama Building Commission.

LICENSING

Electrical Contractor

Persons applying for statewide Electrical Contractor examination must demonstrate a minimum of four (4) years experience that show that you have designed, planned, laid-out and directly supervised electrical construction activities and the installing of electrical components. The work supervised must be commercial or industrial. The license is unlimited in voltage and bid requirements. Applicants may substitute one (1) year education in electrical curriculum for one-half (½) year electrical experience for a maximum of two (2) years credit of the four (4) years experience requirement. The applicant must submit a copy of the diploma or certificate."

I do not believe this to be an acceptable non-conformance as the contractor does have a lisc.

Thanks for your input.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Training Competance

This is an ISO audit?
I've never seen an auditor dig into state regulations, although I suppose that's a vector to show competency.

If the contractor's person on-site does not "designed, planned, laid-out and directly supervised electrical construction activities and the installing of electrical components" and is not required to I see no finding.

i.e. if you're hiring a contractor to have a guy run some lines or replaces some circuit breakers and light fixtures this license doesn't look to be required.

What is the scope of the work?

M

mguilbert

Re: Training Competance

Thanks for the reply.

Yes this is an ISO 9001 audit.

The employee performs electrical work as well as install new equipment. This new equipment is larger than just light fixtures. He will run lines, install new service breakers etc for the new equipment.

Thanks again,

Last edited by a moderator:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
I do not believe this to be an acceptable non-conformance as the contractor does have a lisc.

Thanks for your input.
The external auditor has definitely strayed way out of the scope of the audit. As mentioned hundreds of times before, when the ISO 9001 standard talks about statutory and regulatory requirements, it relates to PRODUCT LEGAL REQUIREMENTS.

I would strongly push back on this nonconformity, as, if the auditor is not forced to remain within scope of the audit, s/he might think they can wander anywhere in the organization.

I would only allow this "line of investigation" if the auditor had some evidence to show that poor workmanship in electrical installations are leading to nonconforming products and/or customer dissatisfaction via, e.g., late deliveries. Short of that, the auditor performing a QMS audit has no business checking into that aspect.

M

mguilbert

Sidney,

I do agree with you on wandering from the scope. This facility supplies many of the rest of our facilities and if it did go down it would affect our ability to supply our customers. This our only feed mill that supplies feed to 80% of our farms. So he may be able to raise that point.

Thanks again,

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Sidney,

I do agree with you on wandering from the scope. This facility supplies many of the rest of our facilities and if it did go down it would affect our ability to supply our customers. This our only feed mill that supplies feed to 80% of our farms. So he may be able to raise that point.

Thanks again,
You need to appeal this finding to the registrar.

The auditor used his bias and old experience to go out of the scope of the standard.

Usually a license contractor would check and double check the work done and makes sure it works properly.

If you let this one go unchallenged, the auditor would come back and write you up for the roof is leaking or the telephone lines are not running to capacity and.... you get the point (and that is what Sidney was telling you).

Email your registrar and ask them to have another competent individual review the finding - time to appeal

M

mguilbert

The auditor sited clause 6.2.2 (2008 standard).

The statement of non-conformance : "The electrical competences was not available from the Electrical Contractors".

Objective Evidence: "The contract electrician under redacted Electric Co. Inc. does not have the License to work as an Electrician."

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Yes, I'd appeal it. Even the requirements to apply for the license require the person to work (without a license) for two to four years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Who owns your Competence, Awareness and Training process? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M AS9100D Competence and Training Records - X-Ray AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Training Personnel on the QMS - 7.3 Awareness or Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S SOP Training/Competence in 24/7 Operation contractor company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I Struggling with Training and Competence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Evidence of Competence, Training and Awareness Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
G Audit Finding against ISO/TS 16949 6.2.2 Competence, Training and Awareness IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C Certificate of Conformity Competence - Training Staff the Responsibilities of Signing Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
F What Compliance to ISO 9001, 6.2.2 Competence, Awareness and Training Means ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
K Competence, Training and Awareness - Documenting Training and Confidentiality Aspects ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Training and Competence requirements in a Small Machine Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
G Searching for Auditor Competence and Training .ppt presentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F CVs/Resumes & Competence, Training, and Awareness - Employee Confidentiality ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2.a Competence, Training, and Awareness Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P ISO 13485 Competence, Awareness and Training Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S Competence Awareness and Training - ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2 d) - How to do ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L Aerospace Industry Competence Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
somashekar Top Management and Competence, Awareness, Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
E Calibration Clerk Competence and Training General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
C Temporary Laborer Training Requirements - 6.2.2 Competence, Awareness and Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
G ISO 14001 - Recording Competence, Training and Awareness in Existing Staff Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
J Information regarding Competence and Effectiveness of Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 18
K TS 16949 Training - How can I ensure competence? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
D Evaluating competence on training for new ISO 13485 standard for employees ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Difference Between Provision Of Resources And Competence, Awareness & Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C Competence, awareness and training - Some staff refuse to give educational info ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 49
Wes Bucey Training evaluation (Competence vs. performance) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
M Training effectiveness measurement - 6.2.2 Competence, awareness and training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 9
C Competence, Awareness & Training - ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Raffy Competency Program - 6.2.2 Competence, awareness and training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
G Evaluating Training Effectiveness - 6.2.2 Competence, Awareness and Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 55
Anonymous16-2 Labelling Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Regulations for Medical Device Kit for Training Personnel? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
N ... and some have greatness thrust upon them - Training for novice QA manager ? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R How to keep track of employee read-only training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13