Training documentation - ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had questions

Jnks_Meddev

Involved In Discussions
We recently had an ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had the questions below. Are there different ways to make sure the candidate is competent in the particular standard?
  • How did you update to new standard? How do you know the candidate is good for internal audit for ISO: 2016 standard? Does he/she have 13485 competence?
  • The basic ISO trainings were updated and he/she is trained for that. SOP along with test taken was provided for documentation.
what are better ways to document trainings?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
We recently had an ISO 13485 audit and the auditor had the questions below. Are there different ways to make sure the candidate is competent in the particular standard?
  • How did you update to new standard? How do you know the candidate is good for internal audit for ISO: 2016 standard? Does he/she have 13485 competence?
  • The basic ISO trainings were updated and he/she is trained for that. SOP along with test taken was provided for documentation.
what are better ways to document trainings?
Wow. The auditor was asking these questions? Why? WHat's it to them HOW you updated? Either your QMS has been changed to meet the new requirements or it hasn't. Asking HOW you did it, is of zero consequence. Is it REQUIRED to be competent in ISO 13485? I'm thinking this CB auditor isn't competent...

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
The context of the questions would help. It sounds like it was in respect to internal audits. Training isn't competence. The way you document competence is let them to an audit and review their work.

Jnks_Meddev

Involved In Discussions
yes, that's correct! But after seeing the SOP and test sign off training sheet they were still looking for more information.
Not sure what was being asked. Thanks for your input though :)

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
yes, that's correct! But after seeing the SOP and test sign off training sheet they were still looking for more information.
Not sure what was being asked. Thanks for your input though :)
Right, because you haven't determined their competence. You showed the auditor that they have been "trained." Now, how do you know they are competent -- that the training actually did something?

From memory, what's needed is for you to a) define competency requirements and b) have the candidates demonstrate that competency. I cannot find a reason why any "normal" member of staff needs to be competent in ISO 13485. It's simply not useful. Someone needs to be, for sure. Management might need to be for parts relevant to them. If the auditor is putting competency in ISO 13485 in the general populations, they are WRONG... As far as specific internal auditor(s) go, my position is that even they don't need to be "chapter and verse" on 13485, either...

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J ISO 13485 Training Documentation example wanted Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 15
R Training Within Industry modules - JIB's and ISO 13485 Documentation Requirements Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
I Not having Training Records for Documentation Changes - ISO 13485 Clause 4.2.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
I What level of change in documentation requires re-training? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Does anyone have information on SOPFEL Training & Maintenance Documentation? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
sagai Required Documentation for 820.25(b) - What does "Training shall be documented" mean 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
SteelMaiden Training Documentation Programs for Training Records Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
L Training Requirements Documentation and Records - Machine Shop ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
T Volkswagen Systems Training (Formel Q, QPN, VDA 6.3, Mandatory Documentation, etc.) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 8
DanteCaspian Ultrasonic assembly (welding) training documentation Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S What should be included in training documentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 19
C Documentation of training and retraining procedures, specifically how training should Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S General Documentation Question-Training Center Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
C Good Documentation Practice Training material Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 15
F Good Documentation Practices Training Materials Query Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
S Documentation of Training - Operator signature needed? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 22
M Training Documentation - Control of Signed Training Documents e.g. Training Logs Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
N Training Competency and Effectiveness Documentation Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 27
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Regulations for Medical Device Kit for Training Personnel? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
N ... and some have greatness thrust upon them - Training for novice QA manager ? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R How to keep track of employee read-only training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Training records and "grandfather" clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Education authority requires approval of all courses - Training services provider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 - Design & Development for training course center ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) Training Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D ISO 9001:2015 Internal Audit Training Advice Internal Auditing 10
C Recommendations for UK-based ISO 13485 internal auditor training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A ISO9001:2015 Document control and training aids ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
J Customer VDA Audit - We must provide refresher training? VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
T QMS Training for my organization - IATF16949 and also AS9100 or 9145 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Dr Training Records - Training doctors to use a PMA approved medical device Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical device CER (clinical evaluation report) training/seminar services EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Addressing training requirements - 21 CFR Part 820.25 (1) & (2) Other US Medical Device Regulations 4