Training on the importance of Document Control

JasnahKholin

Starting to get Involved
Hi All,

I am working on revising training on how to use our internal document control software and in putting things together I realized that we really do an OK job of explaining how to use our system but we do an awful job of explaining WHY document control is important in the first place, beyond the fact that our ISO certification requires it. I've put together a tentative outline of what this training should cover but would appreciate any input on something I may have missed based on your experiences.

I found a few industrial accidents where lack of documented processes were contributing factors to the accidents so I figured that might be good to include as examples. I'm also considering contacting some of the managers to see if they have any examples in the past where we had quality or process issues because of lack of document control to tie things back to something people can relate to.

Training Outline:
- What is Document Control?
- Why do we need Document Control? (ISO requirements, ensure product quality, employee safety)
- ISO 9001 requirements for control of documented information
- How do we implement Document Control here?
- Examples of effects of not having document control.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
- Why do we need Document Control? (ISO requirements, ensure product quality, employee safety)
Document control is not sexy. How I would sell the importance of document control is by elaborating how PROCESSES must be executed/performed/controlled/followed in order to deliver the intended results. Document control CAN BE a critical aspect of PROCESS ASSURANCE/INTEGRITY, thus the need for documentation to be available and current/up-to-date.

The idea of using accidents/disasters to raise people's awareness of the importance of process (including documentation) control is sound. As always, if you have cases from your own organization related to product returns and/or customer complaints and/or high cost of non quality, due to people failing to follow the proper documents/process parameters, bring that up. When people can relate to the consequences of their actions, they tend to be engaged in the solution.

Good luck.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
(snip)

but we do an awful job of explaining WHY document control is important in the first place, beyond the fact that our ISO certification requires it.

(snip)

I would suggest starting with the 'why' - putting it first in the outline - if done properly it can be the factor that pulls everyone into the topic.

As Sidney has indicated, document control isn't sexy. My personal take is that citing requirements and conformance is the least important reason for it.

The long-term success and sustainability of an organization depends on the strength of its foundation. Good document management is a critical component of this foundation because, if implemented properly, it is the repository and single source of truth of objective evidence and proof surrounding an organization's processes - that the right things take place with the right people and that the right products/services are indeed provided.

If the document management approach is ad-hoc or informal, the entire foundation of the business is unstable. The absence of a document management system can even hinder business operations, resulting in the lost of resources (this includes people), time, and money.

A powerful document management solution/process will not only make the organization's foundation stronger, it will help the people operate on a higher level of quality. When organization's don't know when or how or what to do, it can cause enormous amounts of confusion in the long run. Team members do their own thing and results are inconsistent, possibly off-target.

Some organizations may think that having a formal document management process will "stifle innovation" or "slow down processes/business;" however, as long the document management process is built into the business culture these negative perceptions can be averted. If the document management process is properly structured from the start, they can help encourage innovation and growth, instead of impeding it. Strong document management processes ensure that everyone in the organization, regardless of the department or team, knows exactly where a document is housed, what the contents of it are, and if additional actions on a document are needed. It can foster a collaborative environment amongst teams as they all work on the "same page" (literally and figuratively).

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Reading the excellent comments from Roxane above led me to remember the obvious, but seldom mentioned connection between document control and organizational knowledge (ISO 9001 §7.1.6). For the most part, proper documentation control is also an important component of acquiring, maintaining and updating of knowledge within the organization. That's why people needs to be empowered to trigger changes to both processes and documents when something is incorrect, ineffective, inefficient or can be improved. In my experience, part of the battle is to convince workers that, they too, are co-owners of the process and it's associated documentation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M RM 13006 Training Syllabus AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Sonja D AIAG VDA PFMEA and Control Plan training FMEA and Control Plans 6
S Transition training for Internal Auditor from ISO 9001: 2008 to the ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Do employee training records need to be controlled documents? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
BeaBea QMS/ Training Management Software Service Industry Specific Topics 4
N ISO 22716 - GMP Training for GMP trainer Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
T Training Records - assembly line staff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
D Do employee training records need to be centralized? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C Certification vs Accreditation Training (General) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
A Corrective Action Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Self-training or Self-studying ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
N ISO 9001 - Training business with fewer than 5 employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Employees training database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
optomist1 Rates Daily or Hourly Process Improvement Training Consultants and Consulting 2
Le Chiffre Online training available for ISO/IEC 17021-1: Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systems Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
S IEC60601-1 Training recommendations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
P Training department ideas and development for automotive supplier Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
A Document release vs its related training. Which should come first? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 18
C RA (Regulatory Assurance) Training (FDA) looking for resources Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
was named killer Onsite Level II N.D.T. Training in Florida Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
T Training recommendations? Bringing our RoHS and REACH compliance efforts in-house REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
S Quality Audit Training Activities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
M Audit Criteria Training Materials Internal Auditing 1
B Looking for 10 Internal Audit Online Training Participants ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
optomist1 Informational Training IMDS - Management of Product Chemical Regulatory Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
Anonymous16-2 Labelling Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
J Recommendations for online ISO 19011 training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
J Looking for a training organization that can provide in house DFMEA training FMEA and Control Plans 4
A AS9100 Training - Where do I start? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
R What's the major difference between Green Belt and Black Belt in term of training and project Six Sigma 3
S ISO 13485 Lead Auditor - Debate between our Quality Team and Regulatory Auditor - Internal Auditor Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 42
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I Does training have to be written? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Regulations for Medical Device Kit for Training Personnel? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Can we provide training plan as corrective action for IATF 16949 Non conformity? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S IRCA Lead Auditor training and Exam tips Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
N ... and some have greatness thrust upon them - Training for novice QA manager ? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
C Looking for APQP Training recommendations preferably in the aerospace industry APQP and PPAP 2
B VDA 6.3 Qualification as Process Auditor training course and exam VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
L Hazardous Waste - Tips for creating standardized training Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
R ISO 13485 QMS Implementation Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R How to keep track of employee read-only training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
J Getting training either from ASQ or from SAI Global - ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
R ISO 13485 and QMS related concepts Training - Small medical device startup company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Training Matrix for Document revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
I Training records and "grandfather" clauses ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5